CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a newbie myself but I will be a Big Sis

+3
teeshteesh
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I'm a newbie myself but I will be a Big Sis Empty I'm a newbie myself but I will be a Big Sis

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 12:22 am

After a hard push from my Big Sis (ChrsLvsBks) , I decided to be a Big Sis myself.

So hears my spill....I have been natural since August 9, 2009. My hair journey started back in April 2009. My hair was breaking off because of post partum shedding. I went from a head of thick, full hair to a head of thin, limp see through hair. I've had thoughts of going natural but thought it would be when I got in my 50s. I was off by 20 years. LOL!

When I made my decision to go natural, I knew my transition would short term. I've never had short hair so I figured what better time than now to go for it. I am happy with my decision and wish I had done it much sooner.

My fotki is in my siggie. You can check out my credentials there. LOL! Also here is my growth from the BC to almost 4 months. The pic with the puff, I was about a week shy of 4 months.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

If you would like me to be your Big sister, please answer the following questions for me.

Why did you decide to go natural? How long have you been natural? And anything else you think I should know.

I will do my best to answer any questions you have. If I dont have the answer, I will direct you to someone that does. LOL!

Last edited by Lynnieluve on 13th April 2010, 2:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

I'm a newbie myself but I will be a Big Sis Empty Re: I'm a newbie myself but I will be a Big Sis

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th January 2010, 12:49 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] YAY!!!

Lynnie is AWESOME! She has a big
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and her hair is gorgeous.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

I'm a newbie myself but I will be a Big Sis Empty Re: I'm a newbie myself but I will be a Big Sis

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 12:51 am

Thanks Big Sis!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 12:06 pm

I would love to have a Big Sis. I have no idea what I'm doing, LOL
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 12:14 pm

Tell me a little bit more about your hair. How long have you been natural?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 12:19 pm

I have been natural since April of 2009. That's when I did the big chop. I have a fotki where you can see more pics of my hair and its texture.
Here's the link: http://public.fotki.com/teeshteesh/my-hair-/
I don't really have a hair care regime. I co-wash. I put cantu shea butter in it (sometimes). I spray it with water and EVOO on the mornings that I can't wash my hair.
Oh and I'm getting my hair straightened for the first time today since my birthday is this weekend (I'm terrified)
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 12:34 pm

Happy Early Birthday!!!

Now for the straightening....I havent straighten my hair since being natural but I have watched tons of videos and heard many stories. My advice to you would be to find out what kind of heat protectant they are going to use or you may want to take your own. You're brave...my biggest fear is heat damage.

Here's my regimen. You could use it as a guide to make one for yourself.

Shampoo once a month or as needed
Co wash 1-2x a week
Deep Condition once a week
Oil Rinse as needed
Protein Treatment once a month

I just established this regimen in December. My Big Sis suggested I stick with it 3 months to see how it works before I make any changes.

Of course the best products for your hair are the organic and all natural products but I use what works for my hair. Here are my staple products.

Co wash - VO5 conditioners and Aussie Moist Conditioner
Shampoo - KBB conditioning shampoo and Creme of Nature Shampoo (I only use the Creme of Nature when I use MJ Baby Buttercream)
Oils - olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil
Leave in Conditioner - Giovanni Direct Leave In
Moisturizer - shea butter

If you have any other questionsl, please let me know.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 12:42 pm

What's an oil rinse? lol
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 12:50 pm

The way I do my oil rinse is like this - When I wash my hair, I apply olive oil to my hair before I add the conditioner. So if I shampoo, after I rinse out the shampoo, I put olive oil in my hair, then add the conditioner on top of it, then rinse it all out going from warm to cool water.

If I co wash, I wet my hair first, apply the oil, then the conditioner. It makes your hair so soft and moisturized. I love it.

Your hair is gonna need extra care because of your color. Are you experiencing any dryness?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 1:08 pm

Ooooh Cool!
To the dryness question: I don't think so. Not more than usual I don't think. Actually I'm not sure, lol.
Do you think I should do the oil rinse before I get it straightened?
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 1:11 pm

It wouldnt hurt anything if you did it. What products are you using besides Cantu?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 1:24 pm

I use this Redken curl boost spray thing sometimes. I also use this shine milk by Biolage. I'm not really consistent in any of the products I use. Its hard for me to get products since I'm a full-time college student. Money is skimp. I am taking Biotin for Hair growth Smile
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 1:37 pm

Since you are in school full time maybe you should try some of the cheaper products that get the job done. VO5 is only a dollar. It works well for co washing. Aussie Moist is about $3-4 and most curlies love it. I know I do. That stuff makes your hair melt like butter.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 1:40 pm

Ooooh. I have to add it on the list of stuff that I get when I get my net check. What products should I get under the Aussie Moist brand? Where do they sell it?
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 1:45 pm

I use the Aussie Moist Conditioner to co wash. It is really thick. I havent used it as a leave in before.

After I shampoo or co wash, I always apply a leave in conditioner, an oil and then my styler. I wear twist/twist out all the time.

Giovanni Direct Leave in + coconut oil + whatever I decide to use to twist my hair.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 1:47 pm

Ok, LOL. Don't laugh at me. What's a twist/twist out?
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 1:52 pm

I'm not laughing. I'm glad you asked. There are no silly questions. Feel free to ask me anything.

two strand twist

two strand twist out

Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 2:02 pm

Oh those are cool. I'm always afraid to try stuff with my hair because I'm not sure its going to come out. Where do you purchase coconut oil? What other oils are good for hair?
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 2:20 pm

I got my extra virgin coconut oil from the local whole foods store. I've seen it in the grocery store too. It comes in a jar and it's white and solid. As soon as you put it in your hands, it melts. If I remember correctly, it melts when it gets to 76 degrees.

I also use jojoba oil on my hair. I purchased it online because there arent any places around here that sale it. Is there a Whole Foods in your area? If so, they sale all of these items there.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th January 2010, 6:41 pm

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I am so proud of you!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 6:42 pm

Chrs made me do it! LOL!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 15th January 2010, 6:43 pm

As she should have...
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 7:28 pm

Hey, sorry I had to run out to the store. Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Do you take any vitamins?
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th January 2010, 7:35 pm

I am glad I am able to help. I'm suppose to be taking a multivitamin only because I am getting older. LOL! I'll do good for about 2 weeks and then I forget to take it. So to answer your question....yes and no. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by teeshteesh 15th January 2010, 7:52 pm

Hahahahaha. That's funny. I was taking a multivitamin but I'm inconsistent with that too. Its funny though, I've been consistent with the Biotin but I've only been taking it for a little under 2 weeks so we'll see how that goes. LOL
teeshteesh
teeshteesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next