CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WANTED: A Big Sis : )

+4
BlondeByDesire
Intelligentbeauty
blondie
Courtney
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

WANTED: A Big Sis :  ) - Page 2 Empty Re: WANTED: A Big Sis : )

Post by Intelligentbeauty 29th December 2009, 1:05 pm

Courtney wrote:Hey Ms Intelligent Beauty-

How did you like the Henna treatment? I want to try that....

I have between 3-4 inches of new growth when pulled straight.
I also have all sorts of textures going on on my head... lol!
I have a kinky curls around the front edges, a little bit looser through the
top and middle, and even a little more loose at the nape. I also have a real kinky patch about the size of a quarter at the crown. So mostly 4a/with some 4b too.
Growth and healthy hair are my main goals...I stopped relaxing because I really started thinning.
I typically bun my hair, I've also worn braids, or roller sets...I've tried twist outs but my relaxed ends come out looking so stringy, and I end up pulling my hair
back.
Transitioning is tough. I hoped to make a year, and about 3 months in, I set my goal at 6 months. Now at 8 months, I want to BC, but the cold weather has given me second thoughts. My birthday is at the end of February, I would be 10 months in. I just can't wait to get these ends off....
What has been the hardest part of transitioning for you?

I love henna and amla treatments. I have used both but I probably would not have if I did not need the color. I would have allowed my hair to grow out first then start trying things. But I have no regrets. Henna is for color (for me to cover my grays. they come out like highlights) and strenghtens and conditions the hair. The amla prevents hair from further falling out, it also strenghtens and also darkens your existing color. I use to use each twice a week interchangably. Now I henna about once a month.

My texture is the revere of yours, front and middle very loose curls and back is kinky, thick and tight.

I wanted to BC for new Years because my styles are becoming more limited due to my ends. But I am going to try to hold out for 3 more months.

Just a quick tip for your twists, use diluted with water Lottabody or some setting lotion for your ends. They will stay in the defined twists then.

My hardest part of transitioning now is my relaxed ends are knotting all the time at the line of demarcation. And I am actually taking much longer to do my hair and losing alot of relaxed hair already due to knots. Very frustrating!!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 29th December 2009, 6:26 pm

'how I am wearin it today-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

url=https://servimg.com/view/14661576/30][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 29th December 2009, 10:47 pm

Intelligent Beauty-
Hey Girl, Thanks for the tip on the twists.

So I'm having one of those days. I'm SO SICK OF THE RELAXED ENDS!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad I just don't think I can hold out for 2 more months. I'm feeling like I just need to do it, and move on. Like you I'm losing a lot of relaxed hair due to breakage. I'm ready to fully learn my natural hair and be relaxer free. I'm going to watch some BC videos on YouTube, and sleep on it tonight....

I also want to update about the DC I did the other night. I'm a fan. At first I wasn't feeling the Giovanni Hydrating/Clarifying Shampoo...my hair felt almost stripped. The DC overnight was really nice. My hair felt so soft the next day. I will definitely add the coconut oil/milk to my conditioners.

Do you use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration? I Love it. But I've decided to try a silicone free conditioner as Blondie suggested. I don't need to being using products that can potentially be adding to dryness.

Hey...tell me about your regimen.
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 29th December 2009, 10:49 pm

Blondie-

Girl...that style is GORGEOUS! Very elegant.

Hey, can you walk me through sealing? So you co-wash, use a leave in, and then seal? How often do you seal?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 29th December 2009, 11:06 pm

Hey Courtney,

I am glad the DC worked out. I am next to try it this Friday.

I forgot to ask you, what part of the country are you in?

It is freezing in NJ so I am a little worried about all the honey, as it acts as a humectant.

My regimen is I wash every Friday. One week poo, amla, DC, and whipped shea mix. The next week cowash with vatika oil overnight then cowash in the am and style with whipped shea. I henna when I see alot of grays, that means growth. So about once a month. I want to keep it simple and homemade but like you styling is getting difficult for me. What is your regimen?

I was thinking the same thing, just cut it for the NEW YEAR and be done with it. I was just online as well looking up BC videos...lol. THAT IS FUNNY THAT WE WERE DOING THE SAME THING...LOL. But I think I will hold out. I accidentally found a low maintance, easy, quick hair doo that I think I will be rockin' for awhile until my big chop. I was just trying to find what I can do with my ends and ended up with this

It is very similar to BIG SIS. It's crazy because I think we both discovered it at around the same time....lol.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 29th December 2009, 11:11 pm

Courtney wrote:Blondie-

Girl...that style is GORGEOUS! Very elegant.

Hey, can you walk me through sealing? So you co-wash, use a leave in, and then seal? How often do you seal?

Thank you!

Glad to see you clarified. I know, I hate how my hair feels after, but it is needed to start with a clean slate. I now clarify once a month.

I moisturize and seal 2x a day, morning and night. Morning is a light moisturize and seal, night is heavier and more detailed. You don't have to cleanse your hair to moisturize/seal.

I start off by spritzing with a liquid moisturizer (I alternate between several). Then I will add a water based non-silicone leave-in (like Giovanni Organics direct leave in or a rinse out conditioner). Then I will seal with a oil or butter. I then add a cream based moisturizer after.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 30th December 2009, 9:36 am

@Courtney - I feel you on the two texture thing. I'm trying to hold out until May but I'm struggling each time I wash. I so want to get rid of the relaxed ends - they look a stringy mess. The left side of my hair is fuller than the right - maybe more natural. If I thought I could do the BC myself and look fairly decent I would do it. But I'm scurred [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 30th December 2009, 9:37 am

@Blondie - I love your hair style ... the color and look is beautiful
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 9:57 am

BlondeByDesire wrote:@Blondie - I love your hair style ... the color and look is beautiful

Thank you! Smile
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 30th December 2009, 3:45 pm

Intelligent Beauty-
I love that style. How did you do it? You have a lot of growth. Your hair looks very healthy...really pretty.

As far as a regimen, I don't have much of one. I co- wash, add a leave in, and style without heat, a lot of pulling back or setting on rollers. Last night I tried a flat twist, I'm gonna keep trying until I get it right...LOL.

I'm still on the fence about the BC...I'm in Michigan, so I know about cold weather. There is no wash n go in the winter where I am located.

As far as honey, I know that it's a humectant, so I only used a little bit in the homemade DC. I didn't notice dryness...

I was thinking about how everyone follows something a little different. On this journey I'm really learning you have to figure out what works for your particular head of hair. I'm really prone to frizz, dryness, and poof. But when my hair is properly moisturized, I can keep my hands out of it, its so soft Very Happy

I wanted to ask you about the whipped shea. Do you make this yourself?

I'm learning so much from this site. I just learned about sealing, and that may be something I want to add to my regimen.

What are you doing on New Years Eve? How will you wear your hair?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 30th December 2009, 3:48 pm

Blondie-

I have a question about sealing...

So in sealing 2x's a day, you wet your hair down that often, or just lightly mist? I'm in the midwest, and that's not something I want to do. It's just too cold. Would you recommend sealing every time I wash?

Also, what is the liquid moisturizer that you use?

Thank you lady...
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 30th December 2009, 3:51 pm

Blonde by Desire-

Girl....I'm SCURRRED too! Smile

What's the weather like were you are located? How much growth do you have? How long have you been transitioning? Your hair is pretty in your avi....

I keep asking myself, why am I holding onto these stringy end? I pull them back daily.

Stay strong!!!!
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 30th December 2009, 4:44 pm

Hi guys, everything said so far is very interesting. I too used to only use Baking soda to clarify. Then I learned from the Curl whisperer's webpage that if we clarify with baking soda, we must remember to do a final rinse with vinegar and water to bring our ph balance back to normal. I'm copying this straight from her webpage..

Baking Soda Clarification

With some silicone-based products, clarification must be done to remove the product that builds up over time on the hair shaft. Rather than resort to sulfate-based shampoos to remove this build-up, which can damage and dry the hair, a baking soda cleanse is preferable:

Combine:

1 tablespoon baking soda

3 tablespoons curly-friendly conditioner

Apply mixture to the scalp and massage firmly, then continue to massage the mixture down the hair shaft to the ends. Work into hair well. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and follow immediately with an apple cider vinegar rinse.

Note: you must follow any baking soda cleanse with an apple cider vinegar rinse. Baking soda is alkaline—meaning it will raise your cuticle and open up your hair shaft. The apple cider vinegar is acidic and will close your cuticle back down. If you don't follow the cleanse with an ACV rinse, you'll be leaving your hair shaft open and setting yourself up for more frizz than you'd probably like.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by Veela 30th December 2009, 4:45 pm

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

There is some debate on whether or not an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse alone can clarify the hair; however, it is helpful to bring the hair back into balance after an alkaline solution has come into contact with the hair and will shut the cuticle back down. Repeated use of ACV rinses can be drying, so limit use to once per month at most:

Combine:

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 cup warm water

Pour the mixture over the hair after cleansing (do not rinse out), then condition as usual. Any lingering smell will dissipate as the hair dries.
Veela
Veela

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 30th December 2009, 7:26 pm

Courtney wrote:Blondie-

I have a question about sealing...

So in sealing 2x's a day, you wet your hair down that often, or just lightly mist? I'm in the midwest, and that's not something I want to do. It's just too cold. Would you recommend sealing every time I wash?

Also, what is the liquid moisturizer that you use?

Thank you lady...

In the morning I just lightly mist...when I leave the house it's already dry. I am a bit heavier at night, but that too is dry by morning. I moisturize/seal twice a day and absolutely after every wash.

I alternate spritzes between Curls Quenched Curls, My Honey Child's Natural Humectants spritz, Oyin's Juice & Berries, Giovanni Organics Direct Leave in spritz, Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier, and aloe vera juice.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 30th December 2009, 8:36 pm

Courtney wrote:Intelligent Beauty-
I love that style. How did you do it? You have a lot of growth. Your hair looks very healthy...really pretty.

As far as a regimen, I don't have much of one. I co- wash, add a leave in, and style without heat, a lot of pulling back or setting on rollers. Last night I tried a flat twist, I'm gonna keep trying until I get it right...LOL.

I'm still on the fence about the BC...I'm in Michigan, so I know about cold weather. There is no wash n go in the winter where I am located.

As far as honey, I know that it's a humectant, so I only used a little bit in the homemade DC. I didn't notice dryness...

I was thinking about how everyone follows something a little different. On this journey I'm really learning you have to figure out what works for your particular head of hair. I'm really prone to frizz, dryness, and poof. But when my hair is properly moisturized, I can keep my hands out of it, its so soft Very Happy

I wanted to ask you about the whipped shea. Do you make this yourself?

I'm learning so much from this site. I just learned about sealing, and that may be something I want to add to my regimen.

What are you doing on New Years Eve? How will you wear your hair?

Check out my link below. I have a tutorial that another curly asked me for on this.
The whipped shea butter recipe Igot from AFRICANLATINA. But u can get alot of diff recpes off the web or youtube. Its really easy.
I dont know how I am wearing my hair yet for New Years Eve. I will be in church with my family on the Eve. How about you where will you be and what hairstyle will you have?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 30th December 2009, 8:37 pm

@veela, thanks for that info. I did read that from curl whisperer, but forgot about it. That's why I started writing all this stuff down because you forget, you know. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Thanks again.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 30th December 2009, 8:44 pm

Courtney wrote:Blonde by Desire-

Girl....I'm SCURRRED too! Smile

What's the weather like were you are located? How much growth do you have? How long have you been transitioning? Your hair is pretty in your avi....

I keep asking myself, why am I holding onto these stringy end? I pull them back daily.

Stay strong!!!!

Hi, I'm in Maryland and right now it's pretty cold. I haven't measured my growth - I would say around 5-6 inches of new growth. I've been transitioning since Oct. 2008. Going into my 14th month trying to holdout until May - which would make 18mths for me.

What kept me straight for the past year was wet bunning. I hardly ever wear my hair out. I'm just now trying to experiment with twists, cornrows and bantu knots.

This is my hair today ...

BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 2nd January 2010, 9:58 pm

Happy New Year's Ladies!

I did it. I decided I couldn't wait any longer, I had to do the BC. I was so nervous, my stomach was in knots. I kept looking at the stringy relaxed ends, and the two textures.... So on December 31st after 8+ months of transitioning, I went to the salon and had it done. I just didn't want to go into the new year/decade worrying about it. I needed to start fresh and new. While in the chair my nerves settled, and once the stylist started I was so calm. I came home and my hubby and my girls LOVED it. All of my family is out of state, so I forwarded pics, and everyone has been so positive and supportive. Today a girlfriend and I took my girls skating and she saw it for the first time and LOVED it. I saw another friend while skating and she LOVED it too. I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER WITH MY DECISION!!!!

Here are pics from the experience.

ooh- I'm so nervous in this pic...

the ends needed to go....

almost done...

I DID IT!!!!
woot!
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 3rd January 2010, 12:14 pm

OMG, I love it ... that's a lot of new growth. I love the headband too.. Here I am 14 months in and I'm thinking I don't have enough hair. It really looks good. I'm jealous.

See my only problem is I need to find a stylist that can do the cut for me and understands natural hair.

It turned out great ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 3rd January 2010, 1:27 pm

Courtney wrote:Happy New Year's Ladies!

I did it. I decided I couldn't wait any longer, I had to do the BC. I was so nervous, my stomach was in knots. I kept looking at the stringy relaxed ends, and the two textures.... So on December 31st after 8+ months of transitioning, I went to the salon and had it done. I just didn't want to go into the new year/decade worrying about it. I needed to start fresh and new. While in the chair my nerves settled, and once the stylist started I was so calm. I came home and my hubby and my girls LOVED it. All of my family is out of state, so I forwarded pics, and everyone has been so positive and supportive. Today a girlfriend and I took my girls skating and she saw it for the first time and LOVED it. I saw another friend while skating and she LOVED it too. I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER WITH MY DECISION!!!!

Here are pics from the experience.

ooh- I'm so nervous in this pic...

the ends needed to go....

almost done...

I DID IT!!!!
woot!

OMGoodness, You look beautiful. Please make this your new avatar pic. I am so proud of you, buddy. I believe you and I were at the same point but you had the guts to do it. Thank you so much for sharing how you felt and your pics. You really do look FABULOUS. It is so funny what they say about the BC. Almost everyone always looks so much better once they rid of that straight hair....lol. I am so happy for you. And your stylist did a fanastic job. How are you managing now washing and styling? How much time is it taking now? What a perfect example your are for your daughters!!!

Love the headband by the way!!! I just keep looking at your pic. You look amazing. And so much new growth. LOVE IT!!!!

I also will love you to start the bar-n-butters challenge I am in, so we can see your progress.

Please show more pics: texture shots, up close, full body, hair candy. show it show it show it!!!!
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 3rd January 2010, 8:28 pm

Blonde by Desire-

Thank you so much. 14 months? Girl...you have plenty of hair....LOL. I know what you mean though. I was worried about the same thing. OMGoodness I was sooooo worried I was gonna come outta there looking bald...LOL. Thank you again.

Have you set a BC date?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 3rd January 2010, 8:42 pm

@Courtney

No specific date - probably around the end of May - that's if I can hold out until them. I figure the weather will be getting warmer and I could do wash-n-go's.

Your hair turned out great ...
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 3rd January 2010, 8:43 pm

Intelligent Beauty-

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have to say, I don't know if I had guts....I just couldn't find a cute transition style....YOU have that down Smile.
I'm on my way to check out your BnB challenge.
So know that I'm on day 3 of being natural here's what I've noticed:

1. My hair is really dry, I have been DC'ing regularly and I DC'd right after the BC, but I'm still dry.
2. I need some serious help on perfecting the twist out....UUGHH. What's the secret?
3. I love my headbands, and they are really cute with my new doo...I'll take more pics.
4. My hair really likes the Kinky Kurly Knot today leave in....
5. Although being natural has presented me with some challenges like dryness, and styling techniques I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER

I'm still on the journey with you Buddy!
woot!
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 4th January 2010, 2:05 am

Courtney wrote:Intelligent Beauty-

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have to say, I don't know if I had guts....I just couldn't find a cute transition style....YOU have that down [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.].
I'm on my way to check out your BnB challenge.
So know that I'm on day 3 of being natural here's what I've noticed:

1. My hair is really dry, I have been DC'ing regularly and I DC'd right after the BC, but I'm still dry.
2. I need some serious help on perfecting the twist out....UUGHH. What's the secret?
3. I love my headbands, and they are really cute with my new doo...I'll take more pics.
4. My hair really likes the Kinky Kurly Knot today leave in....
5. Although being natural has presented me with some challenges like dryness, and styling techniques I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER

I'm still on the journey with you Buddy!

Thanks for the compliment [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

The statements I bolded are the cheif complaints I have heard many BC curlies stating. Check out Mahagonycurls on the Curlyfriends forum and check out Lynn, Sweetdrk, and Traveljunkie on the BNB challenge forum. The last 3 are recent BCers, not a year natural yet. But they have had a fair share of trial and error and have perfected alot of techniques for their TWAs. I recommend you ask them alot of questions. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BTW, waiting for the new avatar pic [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next