CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WANTED: A Big Sis : )

+4
BlondeByDesire
Intelligentbeauty
blondie
Courtney
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

WANTED: A Big Sis :  ) Empty WANTED: A Big Sis : )

Post by Courtney 21st December 2009, 9:32 pm

Hello,

I just made 8 months since my last relaxer. I've thought of doing the BC for the new year, but with cold weather (I'm in MI) and my tendency for dryness, I may wait.

A little history: I got my first relaxer around the age of 9, I turn 39 in February, I really don't remember my natural hair....so getting to know it again has definitely been a journey. I love it. I'm excited by it's versatility, it's beauty, and the fact that I will no longer alter it with harsh chemicals.
I'm on a journey to be healthy in every aspect of my life, hair included. I've learned some over the last 8 months, but I know I have so much more to learn.

Products/regimen: Over the last 8 months I've had no heat on my hair. I've done braids twice (in for 8 weeks each time). I also co-wash 1-2x's a week, and recently started co-washing with HE Hello Hydration....My hair loves it. My biggest hair challenge is dryness. I'm trying to keep things simple I also just started using shea butter with jojoba oil. So far its working for me. My typical style is a bun. I've tried twist outs, and braid outs, and they just aren't working for me...I need more practice. I think once I BC and have some length, I will try again.

Long term goal: I want my hair to grow to long lengths and to be healthy. I know I have to be patient, and I know I have so much to learn. I just can't wait to rock a gorgeous twist out Very Happy.

I would love to hear any suggestions any long term natural girl can share Smile

Peace.
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

WANTED: A Big Sis :  ) Empty Re: WANTED: A Big Sis : )

Post by blondie 23rd December 2009, 3:00 pm

If you are having issues with dryness...you really want to let go of anything with silicones. They coat the hair and don't allow moisture to reach the strands. You really need to change your conditioner to a non-silicone one, and do a good clarifying shampoo to remove the silicone buildup.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 24th December 2009, 11:05 pm

Thank you for the tip....
I do believe that HE Hello Hydration does have a cone in it, down on the list.
My hair feels soft after using it so I didn't think it could be the cause of dryness...so much to learn.
What's your favorite conditioner with out a silicone?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 25th December 2009, 12:28 am

The Herbal Essences line do contain silicones, more than one. Silicones typically end in -cone, -conol, -col, or -xane. Non-water soluable silicones need a sulfate shampoo (non-silicone) to remove the buildup. Silicones with "PEG" in front of it are water soluable and will not buildup, a good cowash can remove them.

My all time favorite conditioner is Coconut Sublime by Curls (www.curls.biz), the most moisturizing conditioner I've found, and I've tried many a conditioner in all my natural years! Smile Oyin Honey Hemp conditioner is very good (www.oyinhandmade.com), but I like ultra-thick conditioners, so I actually use that as a leave-in (one of my hair tricks!).

For conditioners that you can by in the store, I use Giovanni Organics Hydrating/Calming conditioner, Renpure Organics, and Burt's Bees.

There are other lines for naturals that you can look into -

Curls
My Honey Child
Qhemet Biologics
Kinky-Curly
Naani's Naturals
Karen's Body Beautiful
Pretty Natural
Uncle Funky's Daughter
Anita Grant
Blended Beauty

...just to name a few! Smile
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 25th December 2009, 1:35 am

Hello Courtney,
I am 9 month transitioner and I would like to buddy with you on this journey. I too felt like BC now but it's cold and I am afraid of dryness. So I will hold out until spring, which will make a year.

Blondie, would you be my big sis too? I think that you probably have the best conditioning routine because of your color. You have to stay moisturized. So how often do you wash and moisturize. Do you cowash or poo and how often? Do you have your own homemade mixes? Please share. Thanks
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 25th December 2009, 5:00 am

Of course! I always have room for one more! Smile

I one time I was cowashing everyday. I now am too lazy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] but the older my hair gets the better, so I now cowash about once a week, cleanse with a non-sulfate shampoo 2x a month, and clarify once a month. I spritz, moisturize, and seal everyday, morning and night.

I now deep overnight deep condition once a week for at least 24 hours, sometimes 48. I make my own deep conditioners and pomades. I don't have any issues with dryness, and I think it's because of where I live, but I can use humectants year round with no problem. I don't do protective stylings, only wear wash and gos but there is little manipulation.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlondeByDesire 25th December 2009, 10:48 am

Blondie do you have a Fotki?
BlondeByDesire
BlondeByDesire

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 25th December 2009, 5:27 pm

Sorry...no. Sad I have hair pics on my FB page, that's it.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 25th December 2009, 10:54 pm

Hi Blondie:
What are your recommendations for frizz?
I went back and re-read your regimen, sounds simple and effective. Can you tell me what you seal with?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 25th December 2009, 11:00 pm

Frizz is majorly reduced when your hair is prooperly conditioned. Once the moisture blockers are removed and you hair gets in better shape, you will see the difference, A good liquid gel is Elasta QP Feels Like Silk. /but you have to have a good foundation first..which is getting the hair properly moisturized.

I alternate with what I seal with. Raw shea or mango butter are my favorites.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 25th December 2009, 11:03 pm

Intelligent Beauty:

Great! I will be nice to have a buddy on the journey. I'm so ready to BC, but I'm worried with the cold weather. There is no way I can do a wash n go right now in this climate. Spring seems so far off so I hope I can hold out...LOL.

How much length do you have right now?
What are your favorite transition styles? It's cute in your avatar.

I pull mine in a bun or set it. I've stayed away from heat...I didn't want to go through all the pains of transition, only to have heat damage. My mother is natural, and she gets hers flat ironed and she now has straight pieces that she needs to trim out.

What part of the country are you in?

I'm happy to have you as a buddy.... Smile
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 25th December 2009, 11:08 pm

Blondie:

So do you recommend clarifying first and then starting on another conditioner?
Will Kinky Kurly Come Clean work?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 25th December 2009, 11:19 pm

Yes, you would need to clarify first with a good non-silicone shampoo. Kindy-Curly come clean is sulfate free, so it would not remove non-water soluable silicones. A better choice would be Giovanni Organics Clarifying/Hydrating shampooo, it has a mild sulfate that will remove your silicone buildup.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 25th December 2009, 11:39 pm

Thank you Blondie,
I'm going to pick up the Giovanni shampoo.
I have the Smooth as Silk conditioner and the leave in.
So maybe DC with the Smooth as Silk?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 26th December 2009, 12:04 am

Ur welcome! Smile

First start with lots of raw honey, vitamin E, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and coconut milk. Mix that together, then add just enough conditioner to thicken it. Put that on your head, then place a plastic cap on and a turban. Leave it on overnight, rinse out w/cold water.
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 26th December 2009, 12:32 am

OK-Cool,

I will try this tomorrow and let you know the results.
Thank you again.
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 27th December 2009, 3:15 am

Courtney wrote:Intelligent Beauty:

Great! I will be nice to have a buddy on the journey. I'm so ready to BC, but I'm worried with the cold weather. There is no way I can do a wash n go right now in this climate. Spring seems so far off so I hope I can hold out...LOL.

How much length do you have right now?
What are your favorite transition styles? It's cute in your avatar.

I pull mine in a bun or set it. I've stayed away from heat...I didn't want to go through all the pains of transition, only to have heat damage. My mother is natural, and she gets hers flat ironed and she now has straight pieces that she needs to trim out.

What part of the country are you in?

I'm happy to have you as a buddy.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey girl, I am soooo ready to BC too. But the cold weather is my issue also. I live in New Jersey. I am going to hold out though as much as I can until spring. Date March 17th 2010. Exactly one year from my last perm...lol

I have not measured my growth but I have between a nice twa to medium size fro. Enough to do twist and coils, but not a ponytail. I have not applied any heat to my hair either. Same reason as you.
My avatar pic is my favorite style: wet rod like roller set. But I have done braid outs, flat twist outs, bantu knots, and braids in a style. Check out my shea butter challenge link below.

I think it is great that your mom is natural, even though she uses alot of heat. At least she knows what you are going through....lol.

How about you:
How much growth do you have?
What have you tried on your hair?
How many textures do you have in your natural hair?
What is most difficult about your transition?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 27th December 2009, 3:45 am

blondie wrote:Ur welcome! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

First start with lots of raw honey, vitamin E, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and coconut milk. Mix that together, then add just enough conditioner to thicken it. Put that on your head, then place a plastic cap on and a turban. Leave it on overnight, rinse out w/cold water.

I would like to thank you for sharing your secrets with us [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I hope to one day be as helpful as you to another curly head.

I wish I would have saw this DC before hennaing today because I would have tried it. I will try when I cowash again. But I have a few questions:
What are your measurements for this mix?
What brand of these ingredients do you have?

THEN:
Where do you order your mango butter from?
Have you tried the homemade baking soda treatments for clarifying?
What are your pomade recipes? What is your spritz?

Have you done any other styles besides wash-n-gos? (I long for the wash n go once I BC...lol)
Thanks in advance [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Corygentri 27th December 2009, 6:46 pm

Hey intelligent beauty - I do the baking soda clarifying on both me and my daughter once a week. A tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water. I stir with my fingers in the show then apply and massage into my scalp then rinse with warm then cold water. I don't use shampoo so this is what I do.
Corygentri
Corygentri

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 27th December 2009, 7:33 pm

Intelligentbeauty wrote:
blondie wrote:Ur welcome! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I would like to thank you for sharing your secrets with us [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . I hope to one day be as helpful as you to another curly head.

I wish I would have saw this DC before hennaing today because I would have tried it. I will try when I cowash again. But I have a few questions:
What are your measurements for this mix?
What brand of these ingredients do you have?

THEN:
Where do you order your mango butter from?
Have you tried the homemade baking soda treatments for clarifying?
What are your pomade recipes? What is your spritz?

Have you done any other styles besides wash-n-gos? (I long for the wash n go once I BC...lol)
Thanks in advance [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't clarify with baking soda. I use a clarifying shampoo with a mild sulfate coco-something or other. Smile
For my DCs, I don't measure, actually. I only use about an oune if conditioner to thicken it up, probably a tblspn or 2 of everything else except vita E prob 1 tbspn, raw honey lots! maybe 1/2 cup?.

I've used several brands, the important thing is getting pure or raw ingredients. I believe I purchased the raw mango butter from butter and bars. I don't make my spritzes, although I do use pure aloe vera for spritz as well.

I only wear wash and gos, sorry! I do wear updos and such, but after the wash and go has dried!
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 27th December 2009, 9:37 pm

Hey Blondie,

I'm DC'ing as I type....I ended up getting the stuff today. The shampoo definitely made my hair feel clean...almost squeaky clean. I used the Giovanni Hydrating/Clarifying. I know the clarifying gets rid of all the build up, so I'm assuming that's why it felt that way.
I then mixed the coconut oil, raw honey, vit e, and coconut milk with conditioner in my magic bullet. I like the consistency, and my hair seemed to "drink" it. I'm leaving it on overnight and I'll do a cool rinse, can't wait to see how it turns out.
I wanted to ask you. After my rinse do you have any recommendations?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by Courtney 27th December 2009, 9:55 pm

Hey Ms Intelligent Beauty-

How did you like the Henna treatment? I want to try that....

I have between 3-4 inches of new growth when pulled straight.
I also have all sorts of textures going on on my head... lol!
I have a kinky curls around the front edges, a little bit looser through the
top and middle, and even a little more loose at the nape. I also have a real kinky patch about the size of a quarter at the crown. So mostly 4a/with some 4b too.
Growth and healthy hair are my main goals...I stopped relaxing because I really started thinning.
I typically bun my hair, I've also worn braids, or roller sets...I've tried twist outs but my relaxed ends come out looking so stringy, and I end up pulling my hair
back.
Transitioning is tough. I hoped to make a year, and about 3 months in, I set my goal at 6 months. Now at 8 months, I want to BC, but the cold weather has given me second thoughts. My birthday is at the end of February, I would be 10 months in. I just can't wait to get these ends off....
What has been the hardest part of transitioning for you?
Courtney
Courtney

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie 27th December 2009, 10:41 pm

Courtney wrote:Hey Blondie,

I'm DC'ing as I type....I ended up getting the stuff today. The shampoo definitely made my hair feel clean...almost squeaky clean. I used the Giovanni Hydrating/Clarifying. I know the clarifying gets rid of all the build up, so I'm assuming that's why it felt that way.
I then mixed the coconut oil, raw honey, vit e, and coconut milk with conditioner in my magic bullet. I like the consistency, and my hair seemed to "drink" it. I'm leaving it on overnight and I'll do a cool rinse, can't wait to see how it turns out.

After I rinse out my DC, I just style as usual (which for me is a wash and go).
blondie
blondie

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 29th December 2009, 12:47 pm

Courtney wrote:Hey Blondie,

I can't wait to hear and see your results, Courtney.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 29th December 2009, 12:51 pm

Thanks Corygentri and Blondie for your experiences.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next