CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Chop on Saturday! Need Your Help With Products!!!

3 posters

Go down

Big Chop on Saturday! Need Your Help With Products!!! Empty Big Chop on Saturday! Need Your Help With Products!!!

Post by Juices-n-Berries 17th December 2009, 12:40 pm

Hello all,
I am soooo excited. My big chop
is on Saturday. I've been transitioning since June so I'm very anxious
to see what my natural hair will look like. I am writing to ask what
products would you recommend for me to start out with. I don't really
know what my hair type is since I can't really see all of it yet, but
it's quite thick and well, for lack of a better word nappy. Lol. So, I
guess I'll say 4a? I hope you all can please help by listing your favorites. Thanks!
1. Shampoo
2. Conditioner for Co-Wash
3. Leave-in Conditioner
4. Best product for wash and gos
5. Gel or Jelly (smooth down edges and make puffs)
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Big Chop on Saturday! Need Your Help With Products!!! Empty Re: Big Chop on Saturday! Need Your Help With Products!!!

Post by LovelyCurls 18th December 2009, 2:19 am

As far as a shamoo, I really don't have one. I mainly just co-wash and when I do "wash" my hair it is with this shampoo I got from komazacare.com. Coconut Curl Shampoo, but it doesn't lather like I want it to (smells good tho). As for conditioners, I like herbal essence totally twisted, hello hydration, and long term relationship. Leave in i actually have cantu, but I usually use shea butter and coconut oil. One of the craziest things I found out about a good wash and go is not to towel dry. I had no clue about this "golden rule" when I first went natural. The towel makes your hair frizzy. I have heard some people say they use an old t-shirt to dry their hair, I just shake it (like a wet dog...lol) in the shower and then rest a towel on my shoulder to catch all the drips. It seems to work really well. As for a gel, I like totally twisted gel, but I am not to fond of gels, makes my hair feel crunchy. They have a product from garnier frutis (sorry if spelling is incorrect) that comes in a small jar like container that smells great and works well for edges. Hope this helps some =) Congrats on your BC you will love it. I am going to post a pic the day after my BC (make sure you take a pic, it will help you notice your growth later)

I transitioned from Nov 08 till June 09 but once I got all the relaxed ends off, my hair grew like crazy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Big Chop on Saturday! Need Your Help With Products!!! Empty Re: Big Chop on Saturday! Need Your Help With Products!!!

Post by Intelligentbeauty 18th December 2009, 4:15 am

@lovelycurls,
Was your BC professionally done? It looked great! How did you feel about your hair after you did it? What was your family and friends reaction?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 18th December 2009, 4:27 am

Intelligentbeauty wrote:@lovelycurls,
Was your BC professionally done? It looked great! How did you feel about your hair after you did it? What was your family and friends reaction?

Yes it was done professionally, ironically by the same stylist that had been doing my hair (including relaxers) for 4 years. I felt fine, but I had worn so many short hair cuts before that it wasn't that hard for me. I got a lot of great reactions from friends 4 of which are natural. People that said I was going to look crazy actually told me it was cute. I had a lot of mixed reviews from family though. Somewhere like "What made you do that?" But I kindly gave them my reason and asked them "Why are you still paying $60+ for someone to damage your hair?"

Trust me, you will feel good. It may be a little shocking right after, but then you will go home and play in it for hours. When you go to the stores, look for headbands (w/ elastic bands, they are the greatest) and flower pins to go in your hair. You might also want to check out the knit hats/kufis. This is so you won't get tired of your TWA and will have various accessories to jazz it up. But as far as products...try a little bit of everything AFTER you do some research. You will have to find what works for your hair. There is not a "one sizes fits all" when it comes to hair care. Some of the things I love are pure shea butter (found on amazon.com) pure coconut oil, and olive oil. My hair gets dry and these products help maintain moisture. One site besides this one that was a great help with my hair was and still is KomazaCare.com
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 18th December 2009, 6:21 am

thank you lovelycurls. and BTW, your curls are lovely....lol
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 23rd December 2009, 11:44 pm

@ Intelligentbeauty lol, Thank you [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
@ MissLeggz did you do your BIG CHOP? Post pics we want to see
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 24th December 2009, 3:00 am

Yes, I have pics and started the Challenge. Check out the link in my signature.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by LovelyCurls 25th December 2009, 2:40 am

I like! Your pics are really cute. Congrats and welcome =)
LovelyCurls
LovelyCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down