CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! Have you Tried Aveda color or highlights?

2 posters

Go down

Help! Have you Tried Aveda color or highlights? Empty Help! Have you Tried Aveda color or highlights?

Post by catcurls 15th March 2011, 11:19 pm

For the first time in my life I'm concerned about doing color on my hair. Currently my natural hair is thriving very nicely and I'm finally at peace with my routine. I have mostly 3c/4a curls that without the aide of butters and ph balance correction are frizzy and dry. I recently spoke with an Aveda stylist and as I've been using Naturcolor dark brown to color grays sold at whole foods right now but I'd like some highlights (or other color streaked in to highlight)

The stylist said she'd have to strip away the current hair color then deposit the color I'd like into my hair. I really like the texture and health my hair has now and would hate to put it through something that would set it back for a year.
Any suggestions??? Anyone try Aveda or get color in a similar situation? Really need help, all comments welcome... affraid
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Help! Have you Tried Aveda color or highlights? Empty Re: Help! Have you Tried Aveda color or highlights?

Post by Curly Film Chick 21st March 2011, 12:24 pm

I actually got my hair hi-lighted by Aveda back in November 2010. I had to have my hair bleached as well because of the color and because I use henna to make sure the color will on evenly. I was terrified of that because I've been really trying to take care of my hair!

Fast forward to now and I have to say I don't regret my decision. I would suggest that regular deep conditioning and paying attention to moisture is important. I've been really paranoid about my hair breaking or my hair just not acting well but it's been fine--a little dryer at times but nothing to turn my away from the color. In fact I'm thinking about getting a touch up.

HTH
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Help! Have you Tried Aveda color or highlights? Empty Re: Help! Have you Tried Aveda color or highlights?

Post by catcurls 21st March 2011, 3:18 pm

Thank you Curly Film Chick. My appointment is this coming Saturday and I was seriously considering cancelling. Did you deep condish the first time you washed yourself, what conditioner? Was the stylist a curlygirl?
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 21st March 2011, 3:26 pm

The stylist was a curly haired woman but she wasn't "of color." But she was very nice. I got half a head of hi lights. She first asked if I wore my hair curly or straight most of the time and I said curly so she did the hi-lights chunkier and did not do the very front part of my hair because its fragile. I expressed my concerns about having healthy hair and she assured me that aveda color would be fine even with the bleach. I'm not sure what color you are getting but when they lift the dark hair it's going to be orange--don't be alarmed! lol. She got it to the color I wanted which was a amber brownish color I guess.

I DC with Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment because her products are safe for colored treated hair. When I wasn't using that I was using mixing honey and oil in a color safe regular conditioner or just honey, oil and coconut milk. I slacked off for a bit and my color is duller (grant it, I got this done in November) but I'm back on DCing and using Jessicurl again.

What color are u getting?
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 21st March 2011, 3:45 pm

I'm also getting a half head but I have a fragile area in the back so not getting it there. I'll be rushing an order to jessicurl today. Below is the color I want for my highlights.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f69/15/99/63/48/hairco11.gif

catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 22nd March 2011, 12:23 pm

thats a nice color, mine is much lighter so I think you'll be fine as long as you take extra care of your hair. Good luck with your appointment!
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down