CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lightening Natural

5 posters

Go down

Lightening Natural  Empty Lightening Natural

Post by Mdelgado35 3rd March 2011, 12:42 pm

I actually lightened my hair.. not dyed, but lightened. using honey, olive oil, and cinnamin I found the recipe at squidoo.com/ lightenhair and after letting it sit for one hour (no sun) it actually lightened my hair. I could see the difference instantly. I believe if I would have been in the sun for an hour my hair would have lighten more significantly based on my results without sun. The actual recipe is included below.

How to use Honey to lighten hair

Honey is not a well-known hair lightener, but it certainly works. Honey lightens hair by releasing peroxide, but in much lower levels that chemical hair dyes. Due to the low levels of peroxide and honey's moisturizing properties, honey does not damage the hair. A residue of honey on the hair may make hair feel stiff, but a good shampooing should remove this. Honey lightening is a gradual process, but if you do it correctly you should see a difference after the first treatment.

How to use honey to lighten hair

For best results, mix honey with water, using 1 part honey to 4 parts of water, for example 3 tablespoons of honey to 12 tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit for an hour, so that the honey has time to release peroxide. Apply to wet or dry hair and cover with saran wrap to keep it moist and contain mess. Leave the mixture on for an hour, then shampoo out.

Additives to increase lightening

The following ingredients all also produce peroxide, so can increase honey's lightening effects. These ingredients do not damage hair.

- Olive oil - this helps lighten hair, while also conditioning. Add 1-2 tablespoons, less if your hair tends to become greasy. If you have used too much, you will know as your hair will feel greasy - wash again to remove.

- Cinnamon - this spice can also be added. See below for more information on cinnamon.

Lightening Hair with Cinnamon

Cinnamon can be used to gradually lighten blonde hair. Cinnamon lightens by producing peroxide, but the levels are so low that the hair is not damaged. However, it will not turn your hair instantly blonde and is a very gradual process; however, using it avoids the potentially harmful chemicals contained in hair dyes.

Cinnamon is a skin irritant, so care should always be taken not to get cinnamon directly on your skin. Ideally, do a patch test first. If your skin becomes irritated from cinnamon, apply a calming cream, such as aloe vera.

The best way to use cinnamon is to mix it with a little conditioner and apply to hair while it is wet after washing. Cover your hair with saran wrap to prevent mess and keep it moist. Cinnamon can also be added to a honey lightening mixture.

http://www.squidoo.com/lightenhair[i]
Mdelgado35
Mdelgado35

https://www.facebook.com/frostycocoa

Back to top Go down

Lightening Natural  Empty Re: Lightening Natural

Post by Mdelgado35 3rd March 2011, 12:47 pm

Some extra info...

to thicken the mixture use a little conditioner (no medicated) just a simple cheap but healthy conditioner like VO5 or tresseme will do. use just enough to handle.... creamy but loose.
Mdelgado35
Mdelgado35

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 7th March 2011, 4:10 pm

thanks so much mdelgado35, I def want to try this out. I was a little scared about dying my hair. Ive heard mixed reviews from other naturals who have dyed their hair and some having awesome results and others having damage, so I thank you for this alternative Smile
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by amyleia 8th March 2011, 12:02 am

This is a really good alternative to chemical dyes.Question did u use organic raw honey or regular honey?
amyleia
amyleia

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 9th March 2011, 1:25 am

Pics Please. I am looking to color my hair but I dont want the red tint from henna or the black from cassia (i think thats the one that turns it black). I want a lighter brown then the one I have naurally. I would love to see your results and any effects you have have seen post (ie. drying, split or damaged ends frizz, etc) Im loving my hair and the state it's in and I dont want to tamper with it.
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mdelgado35 10th March 2011, 1:57 am

@BrownSkinDiva, you are welcome ...let me know how it turns out

@AmyLeia, I used regular honey.

@Beautifulyfe, I am going to post a picture.
Mdelgado35
Mdelgado35

Back to top Go down

Post by Mdelgado35 10th March 2011, 2:06 am

[img]Lightening Natural  Michel12[/img]

Im not at the color I want to be yet, So I think im going to do it again when it gets warmer, so that I can go out in the sun an even lighter result.

Last edited by Mdelgado35 on 10th March 2011, 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding info)
Mdelgado35
Mdelgado35

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 15th March 2011, 12:38 am

Ooooo I like Im definitely trying this come May
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 21st March 2011, 1:48 pm

@Beautifulyfe Cassia is the one that won't color your hair. It's sometimes referred to as colorless henna. It has similar conditioning effects like henna but I think henna's effects last a bit longer. Indigo is what will turn your hair black, but that's only after henna is applied first.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down