CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SOS - Major Frizz??

4 posters

Go down

SOS - Major Frizz?? Empty SOS - Major Frizz??

Post by d.denise 29th October 2009, 6:27 pm

Hey ladies,

My hair is EXTREMELY frizzy. Like i have never seen anyone with hair as frizzy as mine (slight exaggeration, very slight though). I could never do a wash and go because of the frizz. Here is my routine, and I hesitate calling it a routine because I just recently stopped getting my hair pressed so I haven't really figured one out. Wash my hair once or twice a week with Aubrey O HSR shampoo (didn't use the shampoo this last time); deep condition with HSR conditioner and olive oil. Either twist or curlformers using a mix of water and infusium 23, then put some cantu shea butter on each section and the ends.

I have been really good about curbing my PJism but this frizz just completely messes up my sets lol.

Oh and I night I retwist or pincurl and put on my bonnet or scarf around my edges AND sleep on the satin pillowcase just in case it wants to come off lol. Any ideas or suggestions on what you do to tame frizziness?
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

SOS - Major Frizz?? Empty Re: SOS - Major Frizz??

Post by TerraD 29th October 2009, 6:31 pm

My hair loves to soak up shea butter so I keep it only for my ends. Try coconut oil on the length of the hair. I think it's a little lighter than olive oil and won't be too oily in your curlformers!
I need to buy the curlformer set, they seem to be a hit!
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 29th October 2009, 8:22 pm

Thanks terra. I'll try coconut oil next time. The olive oil is really heavy but it makes my hair so shiny and so soft! Is there a special kind of coconut oil to use? Or can I just pick some up at the grocery store or whole foods or something?
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by TerraD 29th October 2009, 9:16 pm

I found mine at amazon.com. It's Nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil. You still have to work it in your palm before applying it, so a little goes a long way LOL
TerraD
TerraD

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 30th October 2009, 1:41 pm

It could be a one of four things;

1. Your hair hates protein- try eliminating the protein containing products for a few weeks and see if that helps. This would be the cantu, and the infusium (i think). Replace with moisture based products and see where that gets you.
2. You need more moisture-in this case, your hair takes protein fine, but you still need to balance it out with moisturizing conditioners and stylers. Follow the instructions from step one, and after the frizz in under control, re-introduce the protein slowly.
3. Build-up- HeatherNicole uses Cantu Shea Butter to style and she told me that it builds up. Shampoo regularly and be sure to switch up the cantu with another styler/moisturizer every now and then.
4. Drying shampoo- I've heard that Aubrey's shampoos are ridiculously drying...Maybe try another brand, like Giovanni's 50/50

Remember, frizz is usually the result of too little moisture. Do weekly DTs and style with moisturizing conditioners and curl cremes and your hair should be back to normal in no time!
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by satindoll 30th October 2009, 3:35 pm

Infusium definitely has a lot of protein in it. I would switch up either the cantu or infusium with a moisturizing leave-in. Shea butter also works wonders for my frizzies.
satindoll
satindoll

http://public.fotki.com/buttaflyy23

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 30th October 2009, 8:17 pm

Thanks CN and satindoll! I have been thinking about giving up the cantu it really doesn't do much for my hair :-/ One last question: how can I identify protein in my conditioners/moisturizers etc. I know sometimes it will say "soy protein" but I don't always see that so I want to be able to stay away from them...

I'll try the Giovanni's on my next beauty supply run. Any recs for moisturizers??
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 30th October 2009, 8:48 pm

According to RedCelticCurls (NC.com), protein can come in the form of the following ingredients:

* Anything that says hydrolized will be a protein on your hair.
* Anything that says protein or amino acid.
* Grain extracts (like oat flour). Grains contain protein. Oils from grains should be all fat, thus protein free.
* Some extracts can act up for some. Brewer's yeast extract in EMBC dried me out.
* Coconut oil isn't a protein, but it helps with protein retention, so it bothers some people.
* Jojoba oil is actually a wax and has some protein. I can't stand it alone, but I don't mind it in something else.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 30th October 2009, 8:51 pm

You know my rec's for moisturizers:

-DevaCare One (+garnier sleek and shine make a great combo)
-SheaMoisture
-Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down