CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Itchy Scalp

+7
laynie06
ElleX
mverde3
MsKendrala
sheabutterbaby
HAMPTONSFNST
thouse
11 posters

Go down

Dry Itchy Scalp Empty Dry Itchy Scalp

Post by thouse 7th December 2009, 12:43 pm

Hi, I have been perm free since Jul of 09, and I am currently transitioning. I cowash a couple of times a week, but my scalp is really itchy, what should I do about this? Also can anyone reccomend a clarifying shampoo?

thouse

Back to top Go down

Dry Itchy Scalp Empty Re: Dry Itchy Scalp

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 7th December 2009, 1:29 pm

I use to experience an itchy scalp frequently until I began to add tea tree and peppermint oils into my regimen. I add a few drops to my conditioners and my water based moisturizers. Any product I use on my scalp gets an extra boost from these oils.

I don't use any clarifying shampoos. Instead I do a baking soda rinse prior to shampooing for an ACV rinse before I co-wash after use gel on my hair.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by thouse 7th December 2009, 1:39 pm

I bought some tea tree oil over the weekend and put some on my scalp this morning, but it's still itching maybe after I cowash tomorrow I will try again.

thouse

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 7th December 2009, 1:49 pm

Try applying it with a carrier oil like olive, jojoba or sweet almond oils. Essential oils should be mixed with other products such as other oils or even in your conditioners,shampoos, etc.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by thouse 8th December 2009, 11:33 am

I did this last night, I co washed and put the tea trea oil in the conditioner, then I put some in my leave in, which I use Cantu and jojoba oil. It seeems better today.

thouse

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 8th December 2009, 11:53 am

Glad you got some relief. An itchy scalp can drive you crazy. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] When I wore a full weave and couldn't wash my hair, I spray a mixture of peppermint oil and witch hazel onto my scalp. The coolness of the mix left my scalp tingling and refreshed.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by sheabutterbaby 30th December 2009, 5:58 am

How many drops of the tea tree oil did you add to the conditioner? My scalp is itchy and some parts are dry since it's winter and this mixture sounds great. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

sheabutterbaby

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 31st December 2009, 3:11 pm

I add 3-5 drops into my products. The tea tree and peppermint oils work well together in your conditioners/poos/oils, etc. I added these oils to my unrefined shea butter and jojoba mix the other not to relieve the itchies and it worked.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by MsKendrala 31st December 2009, 7:38 pm

My scalp is EXTREMELY flaky. I put tea tree in my Shea butter/coconut oil mix and I apply that to my scalp but it never fails, after about a week I have so much flaking I have to wash my hair.

Any suggestions?
MsKendrala
MsKendrala

http://twitter.com/MsKendrala

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 31st December 2009, 9:18 pm

I have the same flaking problem. It seems that my hair is on a flaky high even when I do put conditioners/oils on my scalp. I'd like a solution as well [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by thouse 1st January 2010, 12:25 pm

I am going to try and put the tea tree oil and the peppermint oil together and see what happens. I also find that if I co wash 3 times a week it keeps my scalp clean.

thouse

Back to top Go down

Post by ElleX 1st January 2010, 10:53 pm

Are you using products with Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) (or its variations) in it? If so, try a different shampoo w/o SLS and see if your itching stops. SLS has been known to cause itchy and irritated scalp. Once I switched shampoo and conditioners, my itchy scalp got much better.

I hope this helps.
ElleX
ElleX

Back to top Go down

Post by laynie06 11th January 2010, 6:52 pm

@ MsKendrala and mverde3

I used to have the same issues with a flaky scalp...my dandruff would be present before and after washes NO MATTER WHAT I used to cleanse or moisturize my hair...the best thing for me was castor oil after my co-washes (2-3x week depending on my transitioning style)...I stopped having issues after about a week and a half of usage...Im not sure if you ladies prefer lighter versus heavier oils b/c castor oil is really thick but I would recommend it to ANYONE having dandruff or flaky scalp issues!

hope this helps =)

laynie06

Back to top Go down

Post by carmesha102 13th January 2010, 1:06 am

my scalps itches sometimes, and instead of washing my hair I spray my scalp with a mix of water & peppermint oil. It helps to soothe my scalp and I looove the smell of peppermint.
carmesha102
carmesha102

http://twitter.com/CarMeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenAH 13th January 2010, 11:47 pm

I am wearing a sew-in. I am about to try the peppermint oil and water. This has to last for my cruise next week.
QueenAH
QueenAH

Back to top Go down

Post by ashollan 14th January 2010, 1:17 pm

I had this problem too for a while and I tried everything and nothing worked so i went to the dermatologist and I had contact dermatitis and i got some medicated shampoo and scalp solution and it cleared right up...now my scalp does not itch. So maybe you should go get it checked out to be sure.
ashollan
ashollan

Back to top Go down

Post by herlucidsKy 23rd January 2010, 7:35 pm

I only had this problem after a few yrs of being relaxed so then i figured i'll just oil it but it just made it worse at times... when i decided to transition I stop putting oils on my scalp and everything stopped. The dry,itchy and flakiness just left. Its been over a yr since I applied anything directly to my scalp. I also realized that before relaxers I never suffered from this or dandruff and as a teenager and child my mom never greased/oiled my scalp she just put it throughout my hair...I guess maybe my scalp doesn't like any product on it..since then my scalp has been just fine..
Giovanni 50 50 balanced hydrating clarifying shampoo is my favorite! it cleans without irritating my scalp, no over drying feeling at all...
herlucidsKy
herlucidsKy

http://members.fotki.com/galacticdust/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down