CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NATURAL DEODORANTS

+25
FAMUdani
prettysunshyne
TMS
MsVera
Ms.Fenty
DvaAuNaturel
savvybrown
PyreFli42
reggiestr
Intelligentbeauty
AfrikanLatina
w8tn4myhair
Talisa3636
lexibugg004
LuvMeLuvMyFro
Mllebutterfly
CurlyMo
ladybug
HomeGrownHairGirl
Godiva4
LilMsPuddles
msqueenie
Rock'n Natural Curls
mechuono
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NATURAL DEODORANTS - Page 2 Empty Re: NATURAL DEODORANTS

Post by Talisa3636 11th February 2010, 4:59 am

curlymo and reggiestr, the funk butter can be purchased from oyinhandmade.com or at there store front Exittheapple in Baltimore on Saturdays. A little goes a long way and at times i mix my dab with a bit of coconut oil to keep my pits soft and prevent any irritation.

The key is to lightly apply and not rub it into the skin since it contains baking soda which mildly exfoliates normally. It lasts allllllll day on my skin and if you are a bit funky before applying, it takes away the odor! BTW im not a very sweaty or smelly person hth ladies!
Talisa3636
Talisa3636

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 11th February 2010, 6:26 pm

Toms of Maine just wasn't cutting it, so on the advice of a friend I now just spray isopropyl alcohol under my arms after I shower when my armpits are completely dry. It works wonderfully! You can also use a cotton ball to apply it. I'm about to try one of those salt crystals though, just cuz I'm curious, and I'm doing a review for my blog. I work out and can get REALLY funky and this works for me, plus it's CHEAP!

- savvy
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reggiestr 11th February 2010, 10:38 pm

Thanks for the advice Talisa3636. I'll give it a try.

reggiestr

Back to top Go down

Post by reggiestr 21st March 2010, 12:39 pm

Ok. For the past 2 months, I've been using the Alvera natural roll on deodorant. I decided to try this one first because I could buy it locally. This is the best natural deodorant I have ever used. I can finally let go of my Secret deodorant. I will give the funk butter a try as well. Just in case I ever need a back up deodorant.

reggiestr

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 21st March 2010, 1:25 pm

reggiestr wrote:hi curlies,

i'm thinking about trying the oyin funk butter. however, i heard that it is irritating to the skin. my pits are very sensitive. also, i can get big bad man funk sometimes. so i need something strong enough for five men but made for a woman. any suggestion?

I tried and liked the Oyin Funk Butter, CocoMango and the Fig, but it did not agree with my skin. It itrritated my armpits something bad. But my skin is super sensitive. I am back to using the Tom's Lavendar. I am still on the hunt for something else. I'll try a few of the things some of the ladies mentioned here.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 21st March 2010, 2:48 pm

lexibugg004 wrote:okay, so this may gross some of ladies out, but hear me out first!!!! so, my husband began to buy me fragrance oils on my 21st birthday, and since i have NEVER like conventional deodorant i started to use to oils to cover the fact that i didn't use it. to my surprise i didn't need the oil to cover the funk because the oils prevented the development of said funk, when i perspired you smell the oils and since they anti-microbial, the funk did not develop after the perspiration. i use scents like frank incense, myrrh(my favorite), lily of the valley,(another favorite),Krishna-musk, arabian sandalwood, and Egyptian musk. they work so well that my husband also began using the oil for deodorant. now these were the real thing not full of alcohol and artificial preservatives, but made from essential oil and and the oils of other natural elements for the scent. my husband can not get enough when i wear theses oils and constantly as his head buried in my arm-pits, chest, and neck!!! all men seem to find these oils mix with pheromones intoxicating. they are concentrated(but not over powering) so you don't need a lot, a little pricey, but they last a while!!!! here is a website for a very good brand of fragrance oils www.kuumbamade.com and if that doesn't work just type the name into the search engine. if you don't feel comfortable purchasing on line they should have a list of retailers, my husband and i purchase ours from a little boutique downtown(Olympia) that has tester so you can see which scent works best for you, my newest one is Tunisian jasmine!!! hope this helps!!!!
P.S
must be applied immediately after the shower to dry armpits!!

ok, so do you have to dilute the oils, I read somewhere that EO have to be diluted in carrier oils or they can irritate your skin (I'm assuming that they are EO)?
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 22nd March 2010, 4:40 pm

I used to use the Crystal Deodorant rock, and it worked very well--for a few months, then it stopped working completely. Now I make own deodorant using equal parts of baking soda, cornstarch, and coconut oil, and it works much better than that old rock did.

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 23rd March 2010, 4:18 pm

msqueenie wrote:Hey there!

I'm such a fan of natural deodorant! It took awhile with transitioning over, so just be prepared. I don't believe any brand will prevent odor for the first two weeks your body is detoxing. It (your body) has to get rid of the toxin build-up it has accumulated from years of daily ammonium deposits.

ITA. Personally, I stopped using any kind. Once your body has completely detoxed you'll find you don't need it anymore...period. Why waist money when you don't need to? I've never been a big sweater anyways and I do drink plenty of water; it's just the way my body works I guess. I eat a lot of garlic in my diet too; I'm part Italian...go figure!!?

As for 'natural' deodorants, you may want to read what ingredients to stay away from....
http://www.bubbleandbee.com/deodorantdetox.html
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

NATURAL DEODORANTS - Page 2 Empty Thank you!

Post by TMS 23rd March 2010, 4:24 pm

MsVera wrote:
msqueenie wrote:Hey there!

I'm such a fan of natural deodorant! It took awhile with transitioning over, so just be prepared. I don't believe any brand will prevent odor for the first two weeks your body is detoxing. It (your body) has to get rid of the toxin build-up it has accumulated from years of daily ammonium deposits.

ITA. Personally, I stopped using any kind. Once your body has completely detoxed you'll find you don't need it anymore...period. Why waist money when you don't need to? I've never been a big sweater anyways and I do drink plenty of water; it's just the way my body works I guess. I eat a lot of garlic in my diet too; I'm part Italian...go figure!!?

As for 'natural' deodorants, you may want to read what ingredients to stay away from....
[url=http://www.bubbleandbee.com/deodorantdetox.html
http://www.bubbleandbee.com/deodorantdetox.html[/quote[/url]]

This link is very helpful. Did you do this to detox method?
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lexibugg004 23rd March 2010, 4:58 pm

Ms.Fenty wrote:
lexibugg004 wrote:okay, so this may gross some of ladies out, but hear me out first!!!! so, my husband began to buy me fragrance oils on my 21st birthday, and since i have NEVER like conventional deodorant i started to use to oils to cover the fact that i didn't use it. to my surprise i didn't need the oil to cover the funk because the oils prevented the development of said funk, when i perspired you smell the oils and since they anti-microbial, the funk did not develop after the perspiration. i use scents like frank incense, myrrh(my favorite), lily of the valley,(another favorite),Krishna-musk, arabian sandalwood, and Egyptian musk. they work so well that my husband also began using the oil for deodorant. now these were the real thing not full of alcohol and artificial preservatives, but made from essential oil and and the oils of other natural elements for the scent. my husband can not get enough when i wear theses oils and constantly as his head buried in my arm-pits, chest, and neck!!! all men seem to find these oils mix with pheromones intoxicating. they are concentrated(but not over powering) so you don't need a lot, a little pricey, but they last a while!!!! here is a website for a very good brand of fragrance oils www.kuumbamade.com and if that doesn't work just type the name into the search engine. if you don't feel comfortable purchasing on line they should have a list of retailers, my husband and i purchase ours from a little boutique downtown(Olympia) that has tester so you can see which scent works best for you, my newest one is Tunisian jasmine!!! hope this helps!!!!
P.S

ok, so do you have to dilute the oils, I read somewhere that EO have to be diluted in carrier oils or they can irritate your skin (I'm assuming that they are EO)?

sorry it took me a minute to get back to you, but with the brand i suggested and other oils i have used i didn't dilute them at all, they may have been diluted by the manufacturer in preparation for consumer use, if you decide to make your own, definitly trust and follow the info you have on safely using pure EO!!
lexibugg004
lexibugg004

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 25th March 2010, 12:31 am

@tms....

No, I didn't. I'd done my detox long long ago [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by prettysunshyne 25th March 2010, 1:09 pm

I've never tried natural deodorants..I've been wanting to though. My mom tried Tom's and it did nothing for her. She also bought a crystal stick (I forget the name)..you have to wet it first before you apply to your underarms. I don't believe she liked that either.

My plan is to try Oyin's Funk Butter. I have tried a few of their products & I've been pleased. Natural deodorant(s) def seem like the way to go.
prettysunshyne
prettysunshyne

Back to top Go down

Post by reggiestr 3rd April 2010, 11:13 am

Ok, update. I've been using the Alvera deodorant which worked great for two months. But since it's been getting hotter outside, not so good. I think I will try a detox like MsVera says, over time. In the mean while, I will try the essential oils.

Also, I just realized that I tried a product about 5 years ago that worked really well. It's called Body Mint.
http://www.bodymint.com/about/what.html
It is natural and uses chlorophyll to stop all kinds of body odor. It is used alot in Hawaii. I stopped using it because I got tired of taking a tablet twice a day. And I didn't want to spend the money any more.

Anyway, I think I will use it for the summer while I detox my body. And I found out I can buy it cheaper on Amazon.com.

reggiestr

Back to top Go down

Post by mechuono 6th April 2010, 10:37 pm

hey yall! thanks for the continuous feedback. i actually chose not to get the oyin funk butter after reading it irritates the skin, as my skin is pretty sensitive. ive opted on using freshly squeezed lemon juice and am fairly pleased. been using it for about two weeks. i relapsed once, but am back on it. i must say that i have gotten the funk later on in the day, but not everyday. i read that our body has to detox before its full effects can be seen, so i'm gonna continue on with it for a couple more weeks and hope that is the case. i'll check back in to update you all.

oh and another plus is that lemon juice is a lightening agent, so if you've been concerned about darker pits, lemon juice should aid with that. that is one thing i can say it did for me

mechuono

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS 7th April 2010, 5:31 pm

@mechuono - are you using freshly squeezed lemons or a concentrate?
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by savvybrown 7th April 2010, 6:22 pm

P.S

I am DEFINITELY going to try this. I wonder if my good ol' essential oils mixed with a base oil will work. Hmmm. Thanks!

- savvy
savvybrown
savvybrown

http://savvybrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mechuono 8th April 2010, 1:11 am

TMS wrote:@mechuono - are you using freshly squeezed lemons or a concentrate?

freshly squeezed

mechuono

Back to top Go down

Post by mechuono 18th April 2010, 4:11 pm

ok, ladies. i am reporting back with my experience with lemon juice. i no longer have the funk!!! and i looooooove it. so yes, i guess my body was detoxing. omgah, i am so thrilled loll. now, after i apply the lemon juice, i add some oils i've been using for my hair to the mix, so that when i sweat, that's what you'll smell . i love love this. i recommend this to anyone. dont be discouraged when you get a hint of musk in the first couple of weeks as your body is detoxing. once you reach that point of no longer having to deal with that, you will honestly love it. i am a testimony to this!

mechuono

Back to top Go down

NATURAL DEODORANTS - Page 2 Empty lemon juice & oil

Post by TMS 18th April 2010, 5:32 pm

^^Ditto for me. I took lexibugg's suggestion and ordered several sample-sized oils from kuumbamade.com and it's been working like a charm. Thanks lexi!! The oils are thick so you don't need much and they smell fantastic (favs so far arabian sandalwood & persian goddess).

Mechuono was right on point with the lemon juice - thanks. As for the lemon juice, I decided to just squeeze some lemons because I couldn't find lemon juice that was not concentrated.

I'm a convert to the lemon juice and oil method. If it works for me, trust me it will work for you.

Good luck ladies.
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by FAMUdani 19th April 2010, 1:21 pm

i got the coconut (or vanilla ??) powder deo from LUSH and um lets just say it didnt work at all [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], i dont sweat like that so i was like um whats the problem...lol...yall let me tell ya...stinky stanky boo boo, but plz believe i will be returning it to get the HENNNAAAAA !

FAMUdani

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeatlast41 19th April 2010, 3:34 pm

I use Milk of Magnesia and it really works
Freeatlast41
Freeatlast41

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 19th April 2010, 5:17 pm

TMS wrote:^^Ditto for me. I took lexibugg's suggestion and ordered several sample-sized oils from kuumbamade.com and it's been working like a charm. Thanks lexi!! The oils are thick so you don't need much and they smell fantastic (favs so far arabian sandalwood & persian goddess).

Mechuono was right on point with the lemon juice - thanks. As for the lemon juice, I decided to just squeeze some lemons because I couldn't find lemon juice that was not concentrated.

I'm a convert to the lemon juice and oil method. If it works for me, trust me it will work for you.

Good luck ladies.

Are you squeezing lemons daily or did you make a mix with the lemon juice and your oils?
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS 19th April 2010, 5:25 pm

@ Sister Boyd - I squeezed four lemons in a container.

After my shower, I dry my underarms and them apply the lemon juice with a round cotton pad. Once the juice dries, I apply the oils.
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by SisterBoyd 19th April 2010, 5:35 pm

TMS wrote:@ Sister Boyd - I squeezed four lemons in a container.

After my shower, I dry my underarms and them apply the lemon juice with a round cotton pad. Once the juice dries, I apply the oils.

Ok great! This is going to help me. I'll let you know how it works.

Oh another question. Are you keeping the lemon juice in the bathroom or in the refrigerator? I wonder if lemon oil will do the same thing.
SisterBoyd
SisterBoyd

https://www.youtube.com/sisterboyd, www.blackplanet.com/sisterboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS 19th April 2010, 5:44 pm

It's been about a week and I've been keeping the juice in the bathroom.

Lemon oil would eliminate the additional step of using other oils.
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next