CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to CN, and boy do I have questions! Yipes!

4 posters

Go down

New to CN, and boy do I have questions! Yipes! Empty New to CN, and boy do I have questions! Yipes!

Post by Pdxcoco 20th January 2011, 4:40 pm

Hi, Everybody.

I'm new to CurlyNikki (!), though I've been natural since 1987. I had locks for nearly ten years until, three years ago, I chopped them off. Since then I've been sporting a fro. Mostly my hair coils (pretty aggressive coils) on its own, especially if I use Pureology Conditioner. The coils are small--between the size of a mixed drink straw (note: NOT a regular straw) and a pencil. So I suspect that I'm somewhere between a 3c and a 4/something. My hair is soft and sensitive to protein (that is, when I use a protein conditioner on it, it's less soft, bulks up and is a bit more coarse than usual). When it was straight, it never held a curl, and broke off. Anyway, all that is by way of background.

I've been trying to grow this stuff out for the better part of a year. But my ends seem to split if you look at them. So I'm always getting "trims" which really mean cuts. Oooooh, oooooh am I frustrated. Fit to be tied, really.

So I thought: I'll Henna! I'll deep condition! I'm gonna get with it. Which I've been doing. But still: split ends. Grumble.

Here're the questions I've got related to Henna, split ends, and general DOH! moves I've made over the past year.

1. Henna: Just put henna in for the first time last night. I followed (exactly) curlynikki's formula and directions. My hair didn't fall out (Yipeee! I was oddly afraid it would--doh!). But neither does it seem "softer" or "stronger." In fact, it feels as it does after I put in a protein treatment: coarser, there's more shrinkage. Is this right? Should I do something different given my texture?

2. I made up a batch of that leave-in conditioner people on this site referred to (I forget the woman's name, but the formula is KCNT, Castor Oil, JoJoba Oil, and Aloe Vera Juice--though I used gel). This is leaving my hair a bit hard. Is that normal?

3. Is there a difference between using Aloe Vera Juice and Gel?

4. What more might I be doing to mitigate all the split ends? I rarely (maybe 3-4x a year) use heat (and then it's a blow dryer) on my hair. I rarely comb it, actually. Mostly I wash with Pureology or Kinky Curly Shampoo, condition with, again, Pureology or Goico or Motions, and put a leave in like KCNT. But, honestly, I often leave the house without putting any leave-in in.

5. I've just turned 40. Is is possible that the split ends and/or texture (which I think is changing) is related to my age. Or, is it more likely that the SEs and texture is about the products I'm using?

Thanks for reading through all of these. I just wanted to put everything I could think of out there as I know a small thing might be the big thing, if that makes sense. And, of course, thanks for your insight!

Light and Love,
Coco

Pdxcoco

Back to top Go down

New to CN, and boy do I have questions! Yipes! Empty Re: New to CN, and boy do I have questions! Yipes!

Post by NaturalG.R.I.T.S. 20th January 2011, 5:14 pm

**anxiously awaits someone to answer question number 1**
NaturalG.R.I.T.S.
NaturalG.R.I.T.S.

Back to top Go down

New to CN, and boy do I have questions! Yipes! Empty Re: New to CN, and boy do I have questions! Yipes!

Post by Sakura 20th January 2011, 6:43 pm

Welcome to CN!!! I hope you enjoy your stay here! (boy do I sound like a hotel clerk hehe Smile )

Henna is like a protein treatment but isn't technically one. It is generally best to follow up with a moisturizing treatment of some sort. This is to help restore some of the moisture to your strands.

As for the Kimmaytube leave in, did your hair feel a hard after it dried or only when wet? I ask because when I first tried it my hair wasn't immediately soft or any different and when it dried it was. Also you may want to experiement with using different oils in the mixture. Your hair might not like castor oil or jojoba oil. But just try to make sure you have a lighter oil and a heavier oil. Another possibility is your hair doesn't like the Knot today so perhaps you can try another leave in conditioner as well.

Looking back at the comments from the Kimmaytube leave in several people said they used aloe gel instead of juice with good results. I am actually about to test out the recipe with the gel myself.
Sakura
Sakura

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 20th January 2011, 7:53 pm

I definitely agree with Sakura about moisturizing with a good protein free dc after henna. Henna has a cummulative affect so your hair may feel stronger over time with continued uses. As for the kimmaytube leave-in, my hair did not like it. My hair gets stiff when I use homemade products with avg.

One thing that I have noticed about your regimen is that you do not seal in the moisture with a butter or oil after you put in conditioner. Also I would try to do styles where your ends are hidden for a while to keep them from drying and splitting.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Pdxcoco 21st January 2011, 12:50 am

Thanks for your responses, Ladies!

I did moisturize after the henna. I left a deep conditioner in for an hour. But maybe a second or third henna treatment would change the coarseness? Or do you guys think more henna will lead to even more coarseness?

Sakura: you were so right to ask. My hair was still damp (it takes forever to dry). Now that it is dry, it's much softer.

Freckeldmom4: how much does sealing the ends after conditioning affect the split ends? It's amazing to me that something that simple might make the difference.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it!

Coco

Pdxcoco

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 21st January 2011, 2:34 pm

Our hair absorbs moisture through water or conditioners, but over time it dries out. Sealing with an oil or butter is supposed to trap some of the moisture in and add a layer of protection to the hair shaft. Kind of like putting on a coat before you go outside. I hope that makes sense.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Pdxcoco 21st January 2011, 2:42 pm

Yep. That does make sense. Thanks a lot, freckledmom4!

Pdxcoco

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 21st January 2011, 10:42 pm

No problem-glad to help!
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down