CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skin Bleaching

+17
Emartini04
Lotusfairie
courtrhapsody
chynadoll8799
Jo Somebody
Indigo.Blue
fanmnatirel
Smiilez03
rayray19
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
Ambitious_Tiff
Loving me
creolebeauty1
Takeya
Nali1987
CarlaAR
Nessa101
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Skin Bleaching Empty Skin Bleaching

Post by Nessa101 14th January 2011, 3:18 pm

I saw a picture of rihanna on the internet and her skin looked georgous. Being curious I typed Rihanna skin .. and skin bleaching came up as one of the search answers in google. I was surprised because I didn't think she did it, but when I saw before and after pictures her skin did look alot different. Someone said there was nothing wrong with it because skin bleaching is similar to people tanning and wanting darker skin. I'm curious to know about yor opinions

How do you feel about skin bleaching?
Would you/Have you ever done it?
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Skin Bleaching Empty Re: Skin Bleaching

Post by CarlaAR 14th January 2011, 3:45 pm

I was shocked when I found that skin bleaching is more common than I thought. I knew it's very common in India, parts of Asia, Africa, South America, etc, but it also takes place among African AMERICAN women as well. There are entire forums dedicated to skin bleaching. Just we we have hair, there is skin lightening. Its so sad that the beautiful People of Color in this world feel they have to lighten their skin.

I have an (East) Indian friend who's darker than I am and hates her skin and wants to bleach it despite the health risks.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 14th January 2011, 3:47 pm

I don't think she bleached her skin.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

She looks very light as a child, not much different from how she looks now. And moving from the HOT caribbean sun to the cold winter climate of europe, my skin is a lot lighter than when it was back home. I'm shades lighter. Plus she seems like a girl confident in her skin. With her forehead and with her nose. Let's be frank, everydamn body has had a nose job in the industry but she hasn't.

I would never bleach my skin, because I love my skintone. I love who I am and that me and my mom have the same skintone. I wouldn't condone anyone who decides to do it though. I do get the tanning argument. White people tan to lose the paleness of their skin but I don't really think it's HATE-related. Like they tan but if they chose not to or to stop then I don't think it would really affect their selfworth or whether or not they think they're beautiful. Where as a darkskinned black girl might have deeper issues with her skin and who she is.

P.S When you think about it white girls do as much and sometimes a lot more than black girls to change their appearance. I didn't know Paris Hilton had brown hair and eyes!!
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by Takeya 14th January 2011, 4:27 pm

For the purpose of fading dark spots (hyperpigmentation), I would consider it but I know those spots will fade over time if I protect my skin with sunscreen. Also, I heard yogurt and lemon juice are good too for evening skin tone. I would not consider lightening my skin otherwise because I like my skin tone.

To me, it's sad when people can't appreciate their skin tone, particularly black or dark skinned people because it seems that, at it's core, their wanting lighter skin comes from historical prejudices that taught us our dark skin makes us inferior.

I feel like white or lighter toned people tan for beauty reasons (i.e., they don't want to look "pasty" in a certain color) not because they feel disrespected or inferior. Just my 2 cents!
Takeya
Takeya

http://www.justtakeya.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 14th January 2011, 4:28 pm

I don't think she bleach her skin , well maybe she does who knows but you know lights and make up do wonders especially if you have a warm undertone i'm brown skin almost in every pictures taking with a flash or under some type of light i appear lighter
Skin bleaching is a very common ritual in every part of the world where they are people of color the darker ones want to be lighter , in European countries or caucasian people want to obtain darker skin like they have been sun kissed or are Olive complected , i can understand that argument but i don't think it's the same, our caucasian sisters do not have to hear or feel ugly just for being them because they are the standard of beauty that is established for us to follow ,that's not the same as a little brown girl growing up being thought being her color , with her hair , having her nose , her eyes , her hips and thighs wasn't big enough because it somehow didn't conform to some standard of beauty that was of course set by a counterpart
That same little girl get older and find out she can now change the color of those plain brown eyes , her hair can finally be silky straight and long , and she can look skinny like those models if she throw it all up , and she can even change her skin tone and now maybe she will feel beautiful but her insecurities still remains
See many people that bleach their skin because they don't think their shade is pretty enough
I 'm a brown skin carribean Woman i love my complexion and i will never do anything to alter it but i can relate and understand how someone may feel the need to do that i actually feel sorry for them because by trying to fit the mold that society hands us we will only lose our true identity
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Loving me 14th January 2011, 6:41 pm

IF I BLEACHED MY SKIN I WOULD BE INVISIBLE.... LOL.
ALWAYS WISHED I HAD MORE COLOR. BUT NOW AS IM OLDER, IT IS WHAT IT IS. IM CUTE REGARDLESS, LOL.
Loving me
Loving me

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 14th January 2011, 6:56 pm

I totally agree with you creolebeauty. At first I thought maybe it was the lighting, but she doesn't look the same from her pon de replay days to now -- at least to me.

Some before and after pics I found off a website
https://2img.net/h/oi25.tinypic.com/2ch1fgg.jpg
https://2img.net/h/oi29.tinypic.com/ncmd14.jpg
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 14th January 2011, 7:18 pm

Here are some VERY recent pics of her. I don't think she's bleaching... Idk why she looked so pale in the other photo.

November 11, 2010:

Jan 9, 2011:

As fas ar the whole skin bleaching thing goes, I feel the same way about that as I do about most cosmetic procedures. If it makes you feel better, do it but be aware of the possible consequences. Its much cheaper to just love yourself and it requires far few less touch ups. Wink I personally wouldn't bleach my skin to become lighter as a whole but I have considered doing it to get rid of some old scars of marks.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 14th January 2011, 7:22 pm

I remember when tyra did a show on this and I thought it was completely ridiculous. Not only does is seem Like a health hazard to me, its just a shame how far we will go to change who we are. I mean I'm an open minded woman and I'm all for doing what makes u feel beautiful. And I think that in a way, cosmetic changes are a great part of being a woman but do it within the boundaries of your own beauty. When you start completely trying to look like someone else its a problem. If you are dark skinned embrace yourself and highlight your own features. Why do people dislike dark skin so much? I think it looks so healthy and smooth. I am a cinnamon skinned woman (my husband always says he loves my island skin I love you ) and I love my skin. I wouldnt change it any day. And when I go to the islands a soak that sun in a lot of times I even feel like my darker skin get smoother and richer looking. Work what you've got!

P.S. those chicks on tyra used bleach for years and didn't even look that much lighter. They just looked ashy...

P.P.S @ carlaAR I think east Indian people (the dark ones) have the most gorgeous skin!

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 14th January 2011, 7:53 pm

Ive seen the damages of skin bleaching personally..my aunt used skin bleach on her skin for years!! and now her skin is sooo raw and hurts her sooo bad..she's gotten so light from that bleach that now her skin is starting to turn pink and peel!! She always tells me she regrets all those years she bleached her skin and if she could get her beautiful brown skin back she would..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiilez03 14th January 2011, 8:37 pm

@ Craving Curls

I've also seen that Tyra episodes and it was shame that some of those women were even bleaching the skin of their little children Sad
Smiilez03
Smiilez03

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 14th January 2011, 8:46 pm

Nessa101 wrote:I totally agree with you creolebeauty. At first I thought maybe it was the lighting, but she doesn't look the same from her pon de replay days to now -- at least to me.

Some before and after pics I found off a website
https://2img.net/h/oi25.tinypic.com/2ch1fgg.jpg
https://2img.net/h/oi29.tinypic.com/ncmd14.jpg

Here's a professional pic of her (unedited) on a reputable blog the same set of Take a Bow and her skin is not that light. People photoshop everything these days. I honestly don't think she bleaches. Some people tan very deep. It's all in the lightning when taking pics and videos can be edited to include light effects as well.

Pon de replay days

Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 14th January 2011, 8:54 pm

Like one of the ladies said, make up and lighting can make some look completely different...
and yes- they do photoshop the hell out of everything nowadays...

As far bleaching my skin...i will never do it....(and yes, i said NEVER)....I love my dark chocolate complexion way too much....and i feel bad for those who feel that they HAVE to do it...

fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Nali1987 14th January 2011, 9:08 pm

I need to change my "I'd never bleach answer!" I'd bleach my knees and elbows if it wasn't for my fear of ending up looking like a dalmatian!
Nali1987
Nali1987

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 15th January 2011, 12:51 am

Yes I do think bleaching is the same as tanning...I love my brown skin, but I love my sun kissed skin even more. I look forward to getting a few shades darker in the summer time...I did not know bleaching was popular amongst blacks...

With regards to Rihanna...I don't see a purpose in her bleaching...she is very light. Possibly lighter than a tan white person. I also think that you need to take hair color into consideration...I avoided getting a tan when I had color because it no longer complimented my complexion...seasons are an important factor also...so, I really doubt it...
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 15th January 2011, 12:55 am

LMAO @ crazy curls looking ashy hahhaa too funny One of my friend's mother bleaches her skin and last time we saw her her daughter kept calling her Micheal jackson and she said we were hating of course but in my opinion that skin bleach look awful people that do it end up with a light skin face a black neck and black everything else it simply doesn't look natural smh insecurities will eat you alive if you let them
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 16th January 2011, 5:00 pm

I don't think Rihanna bleaches.

I would never bleach, just seems crazy to me! Even as a person who thinks pale, redheaded women (with green eyes) are beautiful, I see the beauty is all shades including the very dark:

Come on! That doesn't look beautiful? Surely all can see that it does!

Anyway, I think it's eveness of skin tone and clarity of skin that's most important. If you've got those, your skin will be beautiful to me, whatever the tone. On my body, it's tanning that gets that result. When I was in St Lucia/Barbados, I went a lovely chocolate colour. I spent ages admiring myself! Embarassed Very Happy
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessa101 16th January 2011, 7:37 pm

hanks for those pictures Nali. The right amount of lighting does wonders! lol
Nessa101
Nessa101

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 16th January 2011, 9:11 pm

OUch! I dont think it is a good idea for anyone to touch ANY kind of bleach, on your hands, etc. but especially on your face. I mean, what if it burns the crap out of your skin? then you gotta walk around with bleach burns on your face for the rest of your life. Djimon Hansou (sp?) looks absolutely beautiful to me.
I just so happen to be INCREDIBLY light so its easy for me to say, bc ive never had the desire to bleach my skin, but I just think that darker skin is so BEAUTIFUL. YUM!

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 16th January 2011, 9:12 pm

that last post contained a picture that is so tiny you totally cant see it....ill try again.....

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 16th January 2011, 9:15 pm

also, wanted to add that lighting and photoshop has a LOTTO do with why rhianna looks so light in those pics......

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 16th January 2011, 10:27 pm

I agree with chynadoll, I think that when these lightening stories come up it is usually the fault the people who retouched the photos.

My mother uses bleaching cream to "even out her complexion", she is always trying to convince me to use it. Um, no thanks. I don't have any dark spots and I am not putting that harsh stuff on my face. I'm brown and I like it!
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by Lotusfairie 17th January 2011, 1:30 pm

There is a documentary that I found on Youtube about the bleaching problem in Jamaica and I think a few other places, I watched it awhile back, youtube is blocked at work, or I would try to find the link. Just talks about the lengths people go through to lighten their skin to get jobs, etc, and how they are using these compounds/chemicals that they don't even know what's in them and most are illegal. It was very sad, but very informative.
Lotusfairie
Lotusfairie

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 17th January 2011, 9:47 pm

I think skin bleaching is ok if ur doing it for the purpose of hyperpigmentation or dark spots (scars) but to make yourself look lighter .. I feel sorry for you because its poor ignorance.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by DaButterflyBAP 19th January 2011, 11:33 pm

I saw this today....

Reggae artist Vybz Kartel...

How is this attractive? He looks ashy as hell.
DaButterflyBAP
DaButterflyBAP

http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next