CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching

+8
nattyblog
whereswentz!
deeply_rooted_chick
Humblebug
krys419
Mangos&Bananas
lumii
Janique
12 posters

Go down

Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching Empty Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching

Post by Janique 20th July 2010, 4:12 pm

I'm watching this episode now and it gives me a sinking feeling on the inside. These brown skinned women feel they need to be lighter to get attention from males and to get ahead in life. One woman said she refuses to have a dark skinned baby on her hip...and she had a baby with an Asian man so her baby could be light skinned. She said her child even gets treated better at day care..unlike the other snotty nosed black children. This makes me sick to my stomach that these women feel they are less because of their brown skin. I'm proud of my milk chocolate complexion...there was a time I will admit that I wanted to be lighter...but I snapped out of that as a grew older and wiser. It's said to know some grown women still feel like this and are instilling these same "issues" into their children.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching Empty Re: Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching

Post by lumii 20th July 2010, 4:27 pm

Watching that episode really made me feel sorry for those women.. I don't think it'S their fault though... as Tyra said they're just victims of the society because that'S what's been sold as beautiful.
I remember when I was still little, I desperately wished for lighter skin, because I thougth only that would make me pretty.
Thank God I didn't grow up with that mentality and that I've learned to love myself as I am and I wouldn't want to trade my skin or heritage or whatever for nothing!!
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching Empty Re: Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching

Post by Mangos&Bananas 20th July 2010, 4:35 pm

Sounds juicy! Good lookin' out girl... Tyra's bout to come on in a few minutes. I almost didnt watch it! Im curious enough to watch now. I'll be back with my commentary!! lol.
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 20th July 2010, 4:37 pm

If it's real i feel sorry for them and the children
But just wanted to point out that within the past 2 months I found out that the Tyra show is pretty fake. There have been guests on her show that say they were actors and had a script to say and pretend to be racist against their own color, etc. Then there is a woman on the show who had cancer who said they forced her to say "Tyra you made me feel like a woman again" Wow how degrading. Also I have friends who been on her show and said she TOTALLY ignores the guests when the camera is not rolling then as soon as the camera is on she is interacting with the guest and even audience. they say she is VERY cold when cameras are off. Others said the same thing about her online. So basically this wild "real" woman you see on her shows is just a facade

It truly sickens me if these sort of episodes are fake because these are serious issues and shouldn't be fabricated. I used to love tyra but after finding that out I seriously got extremely annoyed

Anyway yeah i saw that bleaching episode. it's quite a shame
Speaking of skin bleachers. Look at this one about a Jamaican mother and her daughter. They look sooo sick and skin peeling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgSB2E9S_o

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 20th July 2010, 4:46 pm

@ krys..well they had some before and after pictures so I don't know if this particular episode was fake....but I will have to some research
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Humblebug 20th July 2010, 4:47 pm

I never paid attention to the whole lighter thing until reading about it on the internet.Maybe I'm not observant or something but I've never noticed any of the
'preferable' treatment with lighter skin, i think that's a bigger issue
in the states.

I've grown up with a very light mother (people think she's white) and a brown-skinned father. I have brown skin just like my father, and my other siblings look like my mother, and it's seriously like light skin and blonde hair. But I was raised to believe that wasn't important and never paid attention to that. Then again, I come from an afrocentric family. I honestly think people like that shouldn't have children - they would be doing the world a favour.

And I've also heard that tyra may be fake - and I'm pretty sure I may have seen the same woman on the show for two different subjects. Can't stand Tyra either way.
Humblebug
Humblebug

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 20th July 2010, 4:49 pm

Yeah I'm not saying this particular episode is fake, but some (not sure how many) are fake and people acting.

And one of the women who had some disease and was in a wheel chair said as her gift for being on the show they gave her a purse, and when she was confused as to why they would give it to her the staff said "That purse is worth 500 dollars so you should be happy" lol WOOOOOW and another when she was on her makeover said they wouldnt let her 2 children in and made them wait on the curb and one of her children is legally blind. And they didnt give them anything to eat

And another said they glued extensions in her hair and she had to have all her hair cut off because they did it wrong!!! Oh no not MY hair! There would be a fight up in there

Humble yeah it's a bigger issue in the States.

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 21st July 2010, 12:45 am

I know so many people who say they will only date someone the same complexion or light so their kids will never be dark. It's such a weird fear in the black community.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 21st July 2010, 1:19 am

deeply rooted. And what's funny is even if you are light and your partner is medium brown you can still have a very dark child. By the way how long have u been natural? Hw many years growth is that. it's pretty

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by deeply_rooted_chick 21st July 2010, 7:10 am

aww thank you! I'm only eight months natural and this is with one trim since my BC. And this is true. Some flat out say they cant date a darker person because they dont want their baby to be teased. And others say "well....I just want the baby to look like me." No matter what you cant tell if your baby is gonna look like you. You can pick out it's genes even if you try.
deeply_rooted_chick
deeply_rooted_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by whereswentz! 21st July 2010, 10:50 pm

[quote="krys315"]If it's real i feel sorry for them and the children
But just wanted to point out that within the past 2 months I found out that the Tyra show is pretty fake. There have been guests on her show that say they were actors and had a script to say and pretend to be racist against their own color, etc. Then there is a woman on the show who had cancer who said they forced her to say "Tyra you made me feel like a woman again" Wow how degrading. Also I have friends who been on her show and said she TOTALLY ignores the guests when the camera is not rolling then as soon as the camera is on she is interacting with the guest and even audience. they say she is VERY cold when cameras are off. Others said the same thing about her online. So basically this wild "real" woman you see on her shows is just a facade

It truly sickens me if these sort of episodes are fake because these are serious issues and shouldn't be fabricated. I used to love tyra but after finding that out I seriously got extremely annoyed

Wow [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], I didn't know that. But I'm not totally surprised. One thing I noticed is that while she's always talking about her campaign to help young women feel beautiful "inside and out", she describes her natural hair as "oooh chile" and talks about how unmanagable it is. On one episode, she and her hair stylist were giving peope makeovers. Now, while they did give one woman starter locks, they laughed at her "before" picture, which was just a simple TWA. It wasn't wild and crazy-looking either.
While Tyra doesn't BLATANTLY say negative things about very tightly coiled hair, you understand what she means when she says what she says [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , and so do the black girls who watch her.

Also, does anyone else seem to notice that she likes to talk about her eyes alot? I know sometimes it's relative to the show, but sometimes it's not:

"When I was a baby, my eyes were soo piercing gray, and I was soo light..." "Don't let the green eyes fool ya, ain't no mixed blood here!" etc.

whereswentz!

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 22nd July 2010, 1:42 am

This is a very interesting thread. Most of my friends consider me on the lighter side. Most of them were darker me. I actually love dark skin and when I was younger I wanted to have it. It was just beautiful to me. Still is. But, I did learn to just love me as me eventually.

What I can say is that growing up with a lighter complexion in the black community wasn't easy for me. It wasn't the reason I wanted darker skin. I just truly thought that dark skin was just beautiful. It's just so chocolatey...but, I digress. Anyway, there was this point in time when almost all of my friends cut me off. They didn't want to be around me. Most of my friends were darker than me and though it didn't really register with me, it apparently registered with them. I got called names like "typical light-skinned chick" because I was also thin and had longer hair. Later on, almost all of them told me that it was because of my looks and they didn't want to be around me because of that. Honestly, I didn't even have the kind of swag they were talking about to even carry myself the way they were thinking this "typical light-skinned chick" would. This happened to me from middle school all the way up to college. I think most of them found out later on that I was not that way, but by then the damage had been done. I was a very shy person and all the rejection really hurt me for a long while. Thank God for emotional healing! I eventually, with time, and a huge doses of self-acceptance, got over all that. I learned to love being alone with my self-accepting self. Whether people accept me or not, it's cool now because I like me. And that's all that really matters in the end of it.

Anyway, engineering our kids to be a certain complexion is ridiculous. Trying to get a lighter child doesn't guarantee a charmed life for that child. Each person has enough problems in his or her own skin than to go tampering with the color of our children.

Last edited by nattyblog on 22nd July 2010, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Watching Tyra Banks show on skin bleaching Empty Such a shame!

Post by AmariC05 22nd July 2010, 11:01 am

Janique wrote:I'm watching this episode now and it gives me a sinking feeling on the inside. These brown skinned women feel they need to be lighter to get attention from males and to get ahead in life. One woman said she refuses to have a dark skinned baby on her hip...and she had a baby with an Asian man so her baby could be light skinned. She said her child even gets treated better at day care..unlike the other snotty nosed black children. This makes me sick to my stomach that these women feel they are less because of their brown skin. I'm proud of my milk chocolate complexion...there was a time I will admit that I wanted to be lighter...but I snapped out of that as a grew older and wiser. It's said to know some grown women still feel like this and are instilling these same "issues" into their children.

This is crazy! As a dark-skinned women I did get ridiculed or joked on a lot growing up. This did make me slightly resent my complexion and my siblings because they have a lighter tone of skin than mine. However, my mother is also dark-skinned and beautiful. She always shared love with us and taught us to love our apperance. As I grew older I really began to embrace my dark skin.... "The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice!" became my motto, lol and I love it! It's a shame that these mother's feel this way and instead of loving themselves and empowering their children to do the same, and then they pick their children's father's based off of skin tone. SMH!
AmariC05
AmariC05

http://www.annalisa-online.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Runtinkrun 22nd July 2010, 11:32 pm

Black is beautiful, no matter what color.
Runtinkrun
Runtinkrun

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 23rd July 2010, 12:02 am

I remember when I was stationed in Japan, the black men on base would say "We don't date yall black women because we want pretty babies. That is why we all marry Japanese girls and get them pregnant". Whatever.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by amyleia 23rd July 2010, 12:55 am

DreamMerchant wrote:I remember when I was stationed in Japan, the black men on base would say "We don't date yall black women because we want pretty babies. That is why we all marry Japanese girls and get them pregnant". Whatever.

what the hell!! tht is just ridiculous. how can ppl b so ignorant (sorry for my strong word) on the matter of skin complexion.all babies are beautiful and better yet all skin complexion are beautiful.if we all looked the same tht would b kinda boring.
amyleia
amyleia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down