CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washing too much?

+5
moosegrl_86
LaToya28
j. kinky
creolebeauty1
shauntielavette
9 posters

Go down

Washing too much? Empty Washing too much?

Post by shauntielavette 5th January 2011, 2:21 am

Hi guys. Am I washing my hair too much? Within a month i've washed it every week and then co-washed it this week (sunday). I did a twist out and my hair just feels icky. I used shea butter on my hair and it feels very greasy and i'm not used to it being so greasy (perhaps I used too much)...My twistout is getting old too. I'm wondering would I be doing too much washing if I wash it on Thursday again?

Day 1:
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Day 2:
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Lawd knows what it's gonna look like tomorrow! Ladies Let me know your thoughts....Thanks in advance!
shauntielavette
shauntielavette

Back to top Go down

Washing too much? Empty Re: Washing too much?

Post by creolebeauty1 5th January 2011, 2:23 am

Idk but i wash my hair every 2 weeks and the only time i co wash in between is if i wore it in a bun and had to apply gel to smooth the edges and stuff , but im transitioning so i don't really wear my hair out
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by shauntielavette 5th January 2011, 2:28 am

Yea I have "soft hair" confused <---that is what every beautician has told me my texture is, and I'm afraid protective styles will break my hair (like braids, and weaves) so the only thing i have been doing is braid outs, twist outs, bantu knot outs and just wearing it flat ironed. I'm 5 months post relaxer. How long have u gone so far?
shauntielavette
shauntielavette

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 5th January 2011, 2:30 am

I wash my every week....i dont think nothing wrong with it. As long as u deep condition after every wash u should be good. My Hair dont like co washes tho...my hair feels heavy and scalp itch something serious
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by shauntielavette 5th January 2011, 2:36 am

Yea that might be my problem. I co-washed it but i didn't wash it and my hair wants to be CLEANSED not CONDITIONED LOL! I don't think I will be doing another co-wash again. It's not for me either.
shauntielavette
shauntielavette

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 5th January 2011, 2:52 am

I have been transitioning for 10 months and i mostly wear cornrows and wigs on top ... i think you should stay away from heat in your transition because that will eventually damage your new growth and you will have to start from scratch
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 5th January 2011, 3:34 am

Sounds like you may have fine hair that gets weighed down easily. Washing once a week or whenever you feel your hair needs it is fine as long as you don't notice any extra dryness or breakage.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by moosegrl_86 5th January 2011, 4:31 am

I wash my hair every week and it's a mix of medium and fine strand. I think you'll be ok. albino
moosegrl_86
moosegrl_86

Back to top Go down

Post by JessiWantsCurls 5th January 2011, 8:55 am

j. kinky wrote:I wash my every week....i dont think nothing wrong with it. As long as u deep condition after every wash u should be good. My Hair dont like co washes tho...my hair feels heavy and scalp itch something serious

shauntielavette wrote:Yea that might be my problem. I co-washed it but i didn't wash it and my hair wants to be CLEANSED not CONDITIONED LOL! I don't think I will be doing another co-wash again. It's not for me either.

I'm so glad to see both of you ladies saying this because I was actually going to start a thread asking about it. I've been washing every 5 days or so (because that's about as long my styles will last). Since I've been washing so frequently, I've only been co-washing, but the more I'm doing it, the less I think my hair likes it. I had major buildup on the scalp after my co-wash on Sunday, so I was thinking of either going back to shampoos or shampooing every other wash.

By the way, Shauntie, your hair looks great in your pictures! I'm a little past 5 months but experienced a lot of breakage after I took my braids out (around month 3) and started trying to style it myself. I don't think I was detangling properly and my hair just wasn't strong enough.
JessiWantsCurls
JessiWantsCurls

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 5th January 2011, 10:33 am

shauntielavette, luv your hair in the pix! No, washing once a week is not too much. I find that my hair is actually softer and less brittle when I wash it more often, probably because shampooing removes all the build up. Also, if you find shea too greasy, try whipping it with a lighter oil. But some ppls hair just doesnt like shea. Lol My hair hates it.

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 6th January 2011, 12:34 am

Listen to your hairs needs. I have been co-washing everyday for the past month (never done that before). I just felt like my hair needed moisture from water and condish. I do not know about my hair, but my nails are growing like crazy from the cowashing.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6th January 2011, 12:48 am

@ shauntielavette...
i don't think ur washing ur hair too much, i mean everyone is different...some ppl don't necessarily wash their hair w/ a shampoo alot (maybe 1 every 2 weeks), they do what u would call co-washing (conditioner instead of shampoo) some ppl hair love water and that's their moisturizer, others it dries out their scalp and for ur hair constantly feeling greasy, maybe u need a clarifying shampoo-good luck! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 6th January 2011, 1:12 am

I wash my hair 2x a week ( and sometimes even more) I have very thick thick thick hair so it looooves water/oils/conditioners/ butters EVERYTHING!!! the more the better..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by shauntielavette 6th January 2011, 1:38 am

JessiWantsCurls wrote:
j. kinky wrote:I wash my every week....i dont think nothing wrong with it. As long as u deep condition after every wash u should be good. My Hair dont like co washes tho...my hair feels heavy and scalp itch something serious

shauntielavette wrote:Yea that might be my problem. I co-washed it but i didn't wash it and my hair wants to be CLEANSED not CONDITIONED LOL! I don't think I will be doing another co-wash again. It's not for me either.

I'm so glad to see both of you ladies saying this because I was actually going to start a thread asking about it. I've been washing every 5 days or so (because that's about as long my styles will last). Since I've been washing so frequently, I've only been co-washing, but the more I'm doing it, the less I think my hair likes it. I had major buildup on the scalp after my co-wash on Sunday, so I was thinking of either going back to shampoos or shampooing every other wash.

By the way, Shauntie, your hair looks great in your pictures! I'm a little past 5 months but experienced a lot of breakage after I took my braids out (around month 3) and started trying to style it myself. I don't think I was detangling properly and my hair just wasn't strong enough.

Thanks that was my first successful protective style. And Yea this co-washing has my head itching like crazy! I just want to dip my head under some water to calm it down. I usually don't itch like this either.
shauntielavette
shauntielavette

Back to top Go down

Post by shauntielavette 6th January 2011, 1:40 am

SwirlyCurls90 wrote:shauntielavette, luv your hair in the pix! No, washing once a week is not too much. I find that my hair is actually softer and less brittle when I wash it more often, probably because shampooing removes all the build up. Also, if you find shea too greasy, try whipping it with a lighter oil. But some ppls hair just doesnt like shea. Lol My hair hates it.

Yea I whipped up a batch of shea butter, coconut oil, and grapeseed oil mix. I'm washing my hair tomorrow. I pray it works for me--otherwise i will just use it as a lotion..LOL no love/money lost there.
shauntielavette
shauntielavette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down