CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop Breakage Before It Starts

+6
rayray19
dajewel
misskris
Napp_Napp_Cat
creolebeauty1
Ambitious_Tiff
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stop Breakage Before It Starts Empty Stop Breakage Before It Starts

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 1st January 2011, 8:07 pm

Hey guys! I did a protein treatment on my hair using The Aphogee 2 Step treatment. I know you are supposed to dc aterwards and I did but I am afraid what I used isn't going to be effective enough to keep my hair from breaking. I used the Shea Moisture DT Masque with EVOO and Coconut oil and I just didn't feel like it did anything for my hair. I applied the Aphogee Leave in Condish spray, some Cantu Leave In, and the Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture Mist. I do also plan to baggy a few times this week but I am scared to death my hair is gonna just break off. Any suggestions on something else I can do to make sure I prevent any breakage?? confused
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Stop Breakage Before It Starts Empty Re: Stop Breakage Before It Starts

Post by creolebeauty1 1st January 2011, 8:10 pm

I would do a good DC and hot oil treatment , you can Deep condition with avocado , honey and EVOO i tried it it's great
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Napp_Napp_Cat 1st January 2011, 8:14 pm

Taren from Youtube just did a protein treatment and it seemed to work good for her. Check her video out, it might help you. Good luck! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/user/taren916#p/u/7/bsSylgv5ds4
Napp_Napp_Cat
Napp_Napp_Cat

http://theabccollege.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st January 2011, 8:14 pm

Creole, you and all your different looks!!! I love it!!! Very Happy

Tiff, sorry I can't be of any help about the protein. But I would say just make dure you keep it as moisturized as possible, like you said. And maybe the hot oil tx like Creole said would be good too. In fact I need to get around to doing one myself. I haven't done a hot oil tx in several years. At least 5 yrs!!! I hope your hair is ok!!!
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 1st January 2011, 8:20 pm

Thank you miskris Smile trying to make my transition fun lol ... . i have to do a protein treatment soon myself and @ ambitious from what i understand if your hair gets rock hard and breaks off it usually happens during or a day after the treatment , just keep it moist , Smile
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st January 2011, 8:21 pm

Napp_Napp_Cat wrote:Taren from Youtube just did a protein treatment and it seemed to work good for her. Check her video out, it might help you. Good luck! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/user/taren916#p/u/7/bsSylgv5ds4

ditto.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 1st January 2011, 8:21 pm

My hair felt dry this morning so right now im doing the baggy method..i plan on doing it all week..and its already working, I took down one twist and it was super soft and moisturized BIG difference from this morning..

oh yea and i agree with the ladies hot oil treatments do wonders too!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Color_Me_Coily 1st January 2011, 8:34 pm

@rayray19 hey you took your braids down? Smile

i’m talking mine down tomorrow...I’m getting my twist done over on Thursday before I’m off back to school though lol
Color_Me_Coily
Color_Me_Coily

Back to top Go down

Post by Color_Me_Coily 1st January 2011, 8:34 pm

*taking
Color_Me_Coily
Color_Me_Coily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 1st January 2011, 8:51 pm

Hot oil treatment sounds good. I am off to the healthfood store before they close. I'm thinking of just using EVOO and Coconut oils, both of which I am out of Crying or Very sad . Creole I do have to give you props on switching it up. You go girl!!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 1st January 2011, 8:55 pm

Thank you @ Ambitious Smile good luck with your hair girl we can't have you lost all that hair Smile when are you going to BC by the way ?
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 1st January 2011, 9:02 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:Hey guys! I did a protein treatment on my hair using The Aphogee 2 Step treatment. I know you are supposed to dc aterwards and I did but I am afraid what I used isn't going to be effective enough to keep my hair from breaking. I used the Shea Moisture DT Masque with EVOO and Coconut oil and I just didn't feel like it did anything for my hair. I applied the Aphogee Leave in Condish spray, some Cantu Leave In, and the Shea Moisture Hold and Shine Moisture Mist. I do also plan to baggy a few times this week but I am scared to death my hair is gonna just break off. Any suggestions on something else I can do to make sure I prevent any breakage?? confused

First, take a deep breath.
We know you have experience with Aphogee on your hair and you are not applying your treatment too close to the previous one, so what happened to make you think you will have breakage this time? Is it the Shea Moisture DT? It may not have given you the best results but when I looked at the ingredients, I did not see anything that would lead me to think that you will end up with breakage with one use. Did the leave-ins help? If not, I would shampoo to get rid of the layers of product and pre-poo with oil or DC and/or follow your shampoo with oil or DC.

HTH

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 1st January 2011, 9:18 pm

Naturally_Hollie wrote:@rayray19 hey you took your braids down? Smile

i’m talking mine down tomorrow...I’m getting my twist done over on Thursday before I’m off back to school though lol

yea i took them down the day before yesterday.i missed my hair too bad!!!
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 1st January 2011, 10:30 pm

FalconTress wrote:

First, take a deep breath.
We know you have experience with Aphogee on your hair and you are not applying your treatment too close to the previous one, so what happened to make you think you will have breakage this time? Is it the Shea Moisture DT? It may not have given you the best results but when I looked at the ingredients, I did not see anything that would lead me to think that you will end up with breakage with one use. Did the leave-ins help? If not, I would shampoo to get rid of the layers of product and pre-poo with oil or DC and/or follow your shampoo with oil or DC.

HTH

Yes, yes, and yes!! I think maybe the product had too much Shea Butter for my hair's liking. What freaked me out was that my hair didn't feel like it normally does when I dc. Its normally really soft with a lot of give and slip. This time it felt... Well stiff for lack of a better word and it wasn't as easy to get through all of it (Tan-gled, ugh). It just didn't feel like I know it should. I felt kinda like it was just sitting on top of my hair getting warm. I know I rinsed all of the protein treatment out b/c I ended up having shower again (It got all over my neck and face and just wiping it off was not working...) Just like Taren, I experienced a lil irritation from it being on my skin. In feeling my hair now, the leave ins helped some with the stiffness on the hair shaft but my ends are still feeling tough and I put the most product there. No Looks like I will be starting over as you suggested. Now that you mention prepoo, that may be part of the problem. I forgot to prepoo... Shoot. I will report back tomorrow with the results. Btw, Healthwise store is closed. I am keeping my fingers crossed I will find some coconut oil in Wal-Mart or Publix... Thanx again y'all.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st January 2011, 10:34 pm

Tiff I always get the coconut oil from the regukat grocery store (never got it from Walmart but I guess theyhave it). Just check your regular grocer in the health food section. That's where I get mine from.

Maybe next time you should try a more natural protein tx like egg and mayo....??? I may do tat myself cuz I just don't know anything about those store bought protein txs.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 1st January 2011, 10:55 pm

@ CreoleBeauty1
Lol, I have no immediate plans to bc. I hate hair cuts. Lol, I plan to transition til the day before I graduate nursing school in 2014. Of course this is a tentative date. I am kinda thinking of it as sort of a coming into my own. New career, I will be fully natural. Such a beautiful dream playing out in my head...

@MissKris
I may consider that. That's what my mom used to do on me and my sister. I have used the treatment before but my hair was much worse off. I just don't want all of my work to be in vain if you know what I mean. I don't recall seeing it in Wal-Mart but I prolly didn't look hard enough either though. I'm more confident Publix will have it.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 1st January 2011, 11:56 pm

Really 2014 ? lol you go girl i'm a do mines in April
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 2nd January 2011, 12:10 am

creolebeauty1 wrote:Really 2014 ? lol you go girl i'm a do mines in April

LMBO -I don't know why your reply made me bust out laughing

Tiff- you can do it girl (smiling)...you will be the record transitioner of all time my dear. Those relaxed ends will snap off by 2014-there won't be a need to clip them (lol).
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 2nd January 2011, 12:20 am

i know right those ends will leave without the cut lmao
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd January 2011, 12:41 am

LOL! We will see how that whole long term transition goes. I haven't heard of a transition THAT long but who knows; I might be the first. Lol, wishful thinking on my part I know. Lol, CreoleBeauty your comment made me bust out laughing too, btw. Very Happy Maybe I should shoot for admission into Upper Division...? confused

Last edited by Ambitious_Tiff on 2nd January 2011, 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 2nd January 2011, 12:44 am

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:LOL! We will see how that whole long term transition goes. I haven't heard of a transition THAT long but who knows; I might be the first. Lol, wishful thinking on my part I know. Lol, CreoleBeauty your comment made me bust out laughing too, btw. Very Happy Maybe I should shoot for admission into Upper Division...? confused

There's a first for everything and actually NaturallyU has been transitioning for a little over 2 years so really anything is possible. Very Happy How long are your relaxed ends not counting NG?
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd January 2011, 12:51 am

I'm not sure. I'll have to measure when I wash and report back. I know its not a lot though. Maybe 2.5 inches in places? Some parts of my hair have none. What I am really trying to grow out is the heat damage I did with all that dang blasted hot combing and flat ironing I did when I took out my last sew in. Embarassed
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd January 2011, 12:53 am

Is NaturallyU on YT? Sounds like I need to go borrow her secrets, lol.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 2nd January 2011, 12:53 am

LOL you can do it girl patience and protective styling , i'm losing patience already but my growth keeps me motivated i want to BC so i can make my hair journey video lol
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 2nd January 2011, 12:56 am

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:I'm not sure. I'll have to measure when I wash and report back. I know its not a lot though. Maybe 2.5 inches in places? Some parts of my hair have none. What I am really trying to grow out is the heat damage I did with all that dang blasted hot combing and flat ironing I did when I took out my last sew in. Embarassed

Gotcha-so yeah you will be transitioning for awhile (didn't know about the heat damage-man that sucks). Well looks like you're taking the right steps now to get your hair in the right direction and I suppose using minimum heat anyway. You'll be fine...you've got the LT Transitioners to lean on so no worries, its not easy all the time but worth it in the end! Wink
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next