CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Essential Oils

4 posters

Go down

Essential Oils Empty Essential Oils

Post by yacoomba 1st January 2011, 11:38 am

So I'm looking to get some and have my eye on four in particular but would like some reviews on them or others you've purchased and if you've mixed any of these together. I love the smell of Koils by Nature Sweet Almond Joy and would love to somewhat get that scent (using Ginger and Cinnamon), but that wishful thinking (close enough will do).

The four are the ones I have in mind:
Ginger
Cinnamon
Vanilla
Lemon

Please provide which one(s) if any you have, if the smell on its own is strong, if you've mixed any with other EO (even ones not listed), and if you would re purchase. Even suggest ones that you like not listed.

TIA
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Essential Oils Empty Re: Essential Oils

Post by FalconTress 1st January 2011, 1:58 pm

All of the EOs that I have seen are highly concentrated so the fragrances are strong.

These are the ones I have:

Wyndmere -Spearmint
Aura Cacia- Lime
Aura Cacia- Cinnamon Leaf
Aveda- Ylang Ylang
Aveda- Patchouli

I bought everything in the store so I was able to use the testers. The only ones that I have mixed were the Aveda oils to burn in a diffuser. I also own the Rainforest & Euphoria oil blends by Aveda. I would buy them all again.

I suggest that you visit a health food store or some place like Vitamin Shoppe and make your selections because there are subtle variances in sources and processing that may result in an oil having a fragance that is different from what you expect.

HTH

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 1st January 2011, 2:13 pm

FalconTress-Thnx for the response..I saw some at Central Market awhile ago (wasn't interested in EO's at the time and recently since I'm beginning to make my own Shea Mixes I would like a nice hint or smell to the mix. I did see some in Vitamin Shoppe a couple of days ago but didn't see a testing stand so I thought maybe that was off limits (I should've just asked the associates, but I really going in for Castor Oil). I didn't see a wide selection of EO's but there were a few that caught my eye and even some you mentioned in your response. I have the Spearmint currently and used that in a mix recently (think I added one too many drops and now we're all walking around smelling like Wrigleys Spearmint Gum after our showers
Shocked lol!
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 1st January 2011, 3:18 pm

now we're all walking around smelling like Wrigleys Spearmint Gum after our showers

It is trial & error. I am always trying to replicate the fragrance of something. I bought the spearmint to pair with eucalyptus(have not bought it yet) because I love the Stress Relief by Bath & Bodyworks. I bought the Lime because I like Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner. I plan to try the Desert Essence Fragrance Free Conditioner. If it works well, I will use it as my base. I'm also trying to find something I can add to Aubrey Organics to mellow the fragrance. Maybe I'll get some Vanilla.

Last edited by FalconTress on 1st January 2011, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by J.S.M. 1st January 2011, 3:19 pm

EOs have wonderful properties, but I highly suggest you get the EOs that are well suited for your hair type and conditions, not just any EO based on their scent. Essential oils can be just as different from one another as carrier oils, and just like carrier oils, you shouldn't use an oil that doesn't fit your hair's needs.

Lemon essential oil, for example, has been touted to be best for those with dry scalps, dandruff, and oily hair. Peppermint essential oil, however, is supposed to be great for promoting hair growth (because it's an excellent stimulant) and it is very good for dry hair.

I just suggest that you look a little more into the EOs before you purchase. HTH.

J.S.M.

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 1st January 2011, 5:08 pm

J.S.M. wrote:EOs have wonderful properties, but I highly suggest you get the EOs that are well suited for your hair type and conditions, not just any EO based on their scent. Essential oils can be just as different from one another as carrier oils, and just like carrier oils, you shouldn't use an oil that doesn't fit your hair's needs.

Lemon essential oil, for example, has been touted to be best for those with dry scalps, dandruff, and oily hair. Peppermint essential oil, however, is supposed to be great for promoting hair growth (because it's an excellent stimulant) and it is very good for dry hair.

I just suggest that you look a little more into the EOs before you purchase. HTH.

Interesting-I knew about the Peppermint but not so much about the Lemon. Indeed I was soley going for scent, but it has truly brought to my attention a moment of needing to do a bit more deep dive. I found a website which gets to the nitty gritty of EO's but was wondering if you knew of one to suggest with (hair benefit info as you provided above). The one I found I'm putting the link below.

Thnx JSM-I really appreciate your input above. :-)
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/natural-essential-oils/list-of-essential-oils.html

edited to say: I found one under the Homemade Product thread
http://hairrecipes.homestead.com/hairessentialoils.html
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by djackson 18th January 2011, 12:33 pm

Help!! I was looking for oils to put in my hair. Reading the ingredients mineral oil is the 3rd or 4th ingredient. Is that o.k to use on your hair
?

djackson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down