CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter time dryness

+31
michaldouglas
CurlyChefRobin
ajsimmons8
brookecrown
yahoosbingos
Kimberly
breetalton
catcurls
sandrasmarton
Amy V.
Madeaj
truet
SoNatural
naturallynola
stevesmillers
macmaan
Parisanmocha
jeanlouisangel
AfricanaCurly
sonance
curlya
naturalesque
meepmeep1101
krazy coils
misskris
makeupvixen
sweetdrk1
tiashaunteƩ
FalconTress
Treece
Emartini04
35 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Winter time dryness - Page 2 Empty Re: Winter time dryness

Post by naturallynola 3rd January 2011, 12:13 pm

I echo Falcon and Stevesmillers' comments about indoor dry hair culprit--heaters. We do not sleep with the heater on until it gets below 32 degrees(thankfully, I am not in the really cold climate). I started doing this because my nasal passages would get so dry and my allergies would flareup and then I noticed my eczema and hair benefited when the heater was off also. Heaters can bring the indoor humidity levels down to 10% from an optimal level of about 40 - 50%. Info all over the net on this. I have been researching purchasing another single room humidifier. It is recommended for the room you sleep in. I had one previous;y and it def makes a world of difference. CHEAPER INTERVENTION: put cold water in a crockpot or other pot and sit it around the house. As the water evaporates, add more. My mother did this when I was growing up. Moms know these things, don't they?

All the suggestions above are great interventions, but the humidifier is more preventative in terms of the indoor culprit.

You can baggy just the ends, don't forget to wear the satin scarf under the winter headgear, and of course, protective styling allows for more ease in moisturizing the hair without worrying about frizz/puffiness, and be mindful about your hair rubbing against and resting on your clothes for those with shoulder and beyond length hair.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/factsheets/indoorairqualityguide_fs.htm

Last edited by naturallynola on 3rd January 2011, 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 3rd January 2011, 12:43 pm

Thank you so much. Pay day is this week and I will be going to get me a humidifier. My apartment gets really hot during the cold winter months.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by SoNatural 7th January 2011, 7:16 pm

Great information!
SoNatural
SoNatural

Back to top Go down

Post by truet 8th January 2011, 12:02 am

nope i got it too this is my 2nd yr natural and this is the worst i have had it and i live in so. cal i exp. many changes in my hair every since i have been natu.new things to learn nd new thing to try!!! so i put more evoo in my hair
truet
truet

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 8th January 2011, 12:53 am

How do you ladies feel about Jojoba oil? I tried it yesterday for the first time and its pretty good plus it doesn't leave a greasy feel on my hair.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 8th January 2011, 1:14 am

Love it for my hair and skin. Plain sesame is good too. Nice and light.

Last edited by Madeaj on 8th January 2011, 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a line)
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy V. 8th January 2011, 5:45 pm

Yes, my hair is much drier! I was shampooing once a week and cowashing mid week til Winter came along and dried my hair out. Now I am shampooing every 2 weeks and cowashing on off weeks. So I'm alternating. And I DC every wash... moisturize every day. And I'm protective styling. I've been wearing a wig every time I go somewhere. I'm also gonna start using a head wrap when I don't feel like rockin' my wig. 'cause this weather will seriously take a toll.
Amy V.
Amy V.

http://avbeautycentral.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 10th January 2011, 8:06 pm

Me too @ Amy. This weather is tearing my poor hair up. I barely like wearing it out anymore because it looks so damn dry.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 10th January 2011, 8:07 pm

Me too Madeaj. I've been using it on my face and its been clearly up really nice. I'm impressed by its work so far.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by sandrasmarton 11th January 2011, 3:30 pm

Also made Ayurvedic herbal infusion: Henna, Alma, Maka, Brahmi, ground fenugreek seeds, castor oil in cotton bags and HomeHealth hibiscus flowers poured to the ground, 4 hours in the water bath and Has been used for the oil flushing.

sandrasmarton

Back to top Go down

Post by sandrasmarton 11th January 2011, 3:41 pm

The key is to moisturize. It is very cold where I live, and several times I put it in a ponytail. However, I am not big chunks of twisting the night, when I know I will rock a ponytail. What I use to twist my hair, I spray it with water (very little), I use almond oil.

sandrasmarton

Back to top Go down

Post by catcurls 11th January 2011, 3:59 pm

So far this winter using pre-poos and styling in up do's have kept the dryness away. For my winter routine I exclude humectants most of the time but coat hair with HairVeda's Vatika frosting then slather conditioner (cheap) on top of the oil. Or I use a scalp and moisturizing mixture of 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cucumber and 1/3 cup of sour cream (use food process to puree or liquify) no matter which I use I let sit for 30 minutes and then shampoo with Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo, then condish as usual. Hope this helps someone!
catcurls
catcurls

Back to top Go down

Post by breetalton 4th February 2011, 11:43 am

In general skin care, mild, unscented products help reduce irritation and making your pores and skin feel. alcohol-based toner, soaps, deodorants, perfumes and packaging can irritate sensitive skin, dry and pores. Should pay attention to the hands said.

breetalton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kimberly 4th February 2011, 12:10 pm

I think I am really learning my hair, I have a little dryness compared to how moist it has been recently. I don't know what to do yet I'm just glad I noticed it right away and know that I have to start figuring it out. Usually it takes me a while to get it/figure it out and by then the damage is done. I'm going to stay with my routine of protective styling but I'm going to wet and condition and then seal mid-week while braids in my hair and on Friday/Saturday I will do my pre-poo and see what happens.

Kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post by yahoosbingos 7th February 2011, 12:00 pm

Drink lots of water and avoid junk food. always eat fresh and healthy food. Use moisturise after taking a bath. or you have to use ayurvedic.

yahoosbingos

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 7th February 2011, 1:44 pm

Emartini04 wrote:I've noticed if I skip a week of DC'ing my hair it looks dry. Has anyone else been experiencing the winter time dryness problem?

yes, yes, yes!!! I've had to make my own concoction of oil spray to help during the day. I wash and go and the winter is kicking my butt! I've just started and put olive oil, jojoba oil and water in a spray bottle. compliments of whole foods market in the cooking oil section.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 7th February 2011, 4:01 pm

What I've been doing lately for my hair is deep conditioning it twice a week. Once with the Jessi curls Weekly DC and the second time with coconut oil. Also I've been wearing a satin scarf under my hat and applying extra virgin olive oil to moisturize my hair while its wet. This has been doing pretty well for me so far. woot!
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by brookecrown 14th February 2011, 11:32 am

Winter is the time of year when the skin tends to dry out and if you already have dry skin problems, to alleviate this condition, you should take care of your skin. Basically, the procedures for the care must be adapted to nourish and protect the skin during this time of year, which is more cruel to your skin.

brookecrown

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 14th February 2011, 4:20 pm

In addition to all of the wonderful suggestions given already, check the ingredients in the products you're using. During the cold, winter months, you should try to avoid humectants since they will pull moisture out of your hair; glycerin is a big one that is in a lot of hair products that we sometime forget about. I was using Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie for a while, but had to stop when it got cold here because there is glycerin in their products.
ajsimmons8
ajsimmons8

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 15th February 2011, 11:00 pm

Emartini04 wrote:I was doing the Nourish and Spa mixed with EVOO & EVCO as a DC and it had my hair looking really shiny. I think I need to go back to doing this. Lately I've just been lazy.

I LOVE the Nourish Spa. I use it with EVOO but I need to try it with EVCO. Can't wait! Shocked
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by michaldouglas 2nd March 2011, 5:50 pm

I have been folded, wearing hair wash only from time to time, and when folded morning spritzing DCing. I said to my routine has not changed because the Forecast should be. I suppose you know I think during the summer months.

michaldouglas

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 2nd March 2011, 7:26 pm

michaldouglas wrote:I have been folded, wearing hair wash only from time to time, and when folded morning spritzing DCing. I said to my routine has not changed because the Forecast should be. I suppose you know I think during the summer months.

These autobots are hilarious! I've been running into them all over the boards and they're like our own little foreign exchange students, lol.
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 4th March 2011, 12:07 am

Im glad its not just me....my hair is a dry, poofy mess!!!

I have to seriously DC this weekend and I think Im going to invest in a humidifier for the bedroom as well.
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 4th March 2011, 12:14 am

Fleur wrote:
michaldouglas wrote:I have been folded, wearing hair wash only from time to time, and when folded morning spritzing DCing. I said to my routine has not changed because the Forecast should be. I suppose you know I think during the summer months.

These autobots are hilarious! I've been running into them all over the boards and they're like our own little foreign exchange students, lol.

Fleur

lol! Some mornings I feel folded because of the forecast. Smile
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by jackthomson 11th March 2011, 3:54 pm

Reggie changes each season my hair. Since I am a You Tuber purposes but its always heavy in winter to product tests for every 3 weeks until the products change, a light would not test at this time summer

jackthomson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next