CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter time dryness

+31
michaldouglas
CurlyChefRobin
ajsimmons8
brookecrown
yahoosbingos
Kimberly
breetalton
catcurls
sandrasmarton
Amy V.
Madeaj
truet
SoNatural
naturallynola
stevesmillers
macmaan
Parisanmocha
jeanlouisangel
AfricanaCurly
sonance
curlya
naturalesque
meepmeep1101
krazy coils
misskris
makeupvixen
sweetdrk1
tiashaunteé
FalconTress
Treece
Emartini04
35 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Winter time dryness Empty Winter time dryness

Post by Emartini04 26th December 2010, 10:26 am

I've noticed if I skip a week of DC'ing my hair it looks dry. Has anyone else been experiencing the winter time dryness problem?
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Winter time dryness Empty Re: Winter time dryness

Post by Treece 26th December 2010, 12:06 pm

Yep, so I've just been wearing twists, DCing when I wash my hair and spritzing my twists in the morning. I figured It must be the weather because my routine hasn't changed. Guess I'll know for sure in the summer lol.

My hair is just so frizzy and my curls don't pop like they used to. Kind of disappointing because I can't wash n go if I need to.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 26th December 2010, 12:09 pm

I think it is the weather and the increased heat/dry air inside.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 26th December 2010, 12:38 pm

Emartini04 wrote:I've noticed if I skip a week of DC'ing my hair it looks dry. Has anyone else been experiencing the winter time dryness problem?

I would say that is the norm with most ppl. I DC every weekend for at least 20 minutes with a heavy creamy conditioner and sometimes I will add olive oil to the conditioner.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 26th December 2010, 12:59 pm

Ditto to what Tia said! That Olive oil will do it every time!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 26th December 2010, 1:16 pm

I change my winter time reggie up.

I wash on Sunday and Wednesday (each time I DC)
Poo Bar - Ayurvedic Herb or Beer Poo Bars
Conditioner - Oyin Honey Hemp
Deep Conditioner - KBB Luscious Locks (I always DC with a natural DC)
Moisturizer- QB Amla and Olive Heavy Cream on damp hair
Seal- Castor Oil or Coconut Oil

Baggy with plastic cap and wrap with scarf. I baggy every night after I refresh with water and Oyin Juices, then seal with jojoba oil.

(I have been wearing a Tichel, thin Jewish head scarf to work everyday) Protecting my hair from the elements and dry heat from the heater at home has helped a lot.

Each season my hair reggie changes. Also since I'm a YouTuber I change products every 3 weeks for testing purposes but it's always a heavy product in the winter, I wouldn't test with a light one right now until it's summer
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th December 2010, 8:30 pm

@Emartini04...
idk bout wut ne body else thinks, but just b/c ur hair "looks" dry, doesn't mean that it is dry; however, i've hair dry hair problems and solved them...also depending on what hair type u have, ur hair is gonna seem like it's dry...do u have any split ends??? do u notice any breakage??? sometimes ur hair doesn't have to be all shiny and stuff just to be healthy or moisturized; it's how the hair itself is, not how it looks, but if indeed it is dry and lifeless according to u, maybe u shouldn't skip ur DC treatments...good luck~

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 27th December 2010, 11:26 am

Thanks again ladies.

@strawberry - no girl my hair has been dry. I see a big difference when I don't DC and I know now I have to keep up with my conditioning schedule or I'll have problems like this again bounce
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 27th December 2010, 5:52 pm

In response to Strawberri...I have to say that if the hair LOOKS dry it probably IS dry. Take skin for example....you know your skin is dry when it's ashy right? well Skin and hair are pretty much the same thing. So if hair looks dull and dry, than it most likely is. When our skin is dry, white, flaky, ashy, whatever, when you put lotion on or oil it no longer is dry. When adding moisture to hair, it will restore the shine because it's no longer dry. The hair looks dry because there is no moisture in it anymore.
sunny
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 27th December 2010, 9:09 pm

@misskris...idk but i read it somewhere on a hair site about natural hair and hair types, that's why i said sometimes ur hair could look dry and not be dry; like i also mentioned, it all depends on what hair type u have if that is the case...

@Emartini...yup exactly Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 27th December 2010, 10:08 pm

I definitely notice a difference in my hair this time of year and it is definitely the weather. I can skip a deep conditioner in the summer and my hair is fine but now my ends get really brittle if I don't moisturize and deep condition my hair.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 27th December 2010, 11:51 pm

I thought that just because it was winter, that I needed to wash less. I tried it, and my hair hated it. In the summer I co-wash every other day nd wash once a week, and Basically the same for the winter. I guess my hair doesn;t care what the degree is outside. slap on some aloe vera mixed with sheabutter, and my hair is in heaven.
meepmeep1101
meepmeep1101

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 28th December 2010, 3:15 pm

I've been having issues with dryness this past week. I dont know if it's the the frigid weather, or the fact that I did a super long deep conditioning with some yes to carrots, oil, and honey last week. I was thinking that maybe I should not have added the honey, since it's a humectant. But I've washed since then, and my hair is still dryer than I would prefer. Mad
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 28th December 2010, 6:34 pm

krazy coils wrote:I definitely notice a difference in my hair this time of year and it is definitely the weather. I can skip a deep conditioner in the summer and my hair is fine but now my ends get really brittle if I don't moisturize and deep condition my hair.

I agree. My ends tell the story. If they start getting too frizzy, (like this past weekend, when it snowed!); it's time to add olive oil to the DC and baggy twice during the week instead of once. -

My hair says "Jump", I say, 'How high?" Embarassed
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by sonance 28th December 2010, 7:50 pm

Wow! thanks for the advice of adding Olive oil to the Deep Conditioner. I haven't tried that but will.
sonance
sonance

http://www.seriouslynatural.org

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 28th December 2010, 7:55 pm

meepmeep1101 wrote:I thought that just because it was winter, that I needed to wash less. I tried it, and my hair hated it. In the summer I co-wash every other day nd wash once a week, and Basically the same for the winter. I guess my hair doesn;t care what the degree is outside. slap on some aloe vera mixed with sheabutter, and my hair is in heaven.
hey MeepMeep....your profile pic is so cute!! lol
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 29th December 2010, 6:17 pm

I was doing the Nourish and Spa mixed with EVOO & EVCO as a DC and it had my hair looking really shiny. I think I need to go back to doing this. Lately I've just been lazy.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by AfricanaCurly 29th December 2010, 6:38 pm

You-tuber Naptural85 did a video on this a day or so ago on some things that she does for winter time dryness (which is normal for our hair); here's the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4X_c7I-8A

AfricanaCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 29th December 2010, 6:47 pm

I am battling too. I believe its the weather but I dont know. Emartini, I am wack with the DC. I just cant get into it.. the most I will do is pre poo treatmeant which is EVCO and baggy that night then go thru my wash routine Embarassed I feel very accomplished after that and my hair is super soft, and strong..I do use the Qhemets..and you know there is no way my hair could feel dry after the heavy cream, but i only use it when I wash which is once a week..So if I am protective syling I got three or four days of moisture then if I am not washing or co washing I am a dry mess lol!
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Parisanmocha 30th December 2010, 11:19 pm

my hair can go a week and a half without dryness; at times I've gone two weeks. The key is to moisturize it. It's very cold where I live and many times I just put it in a pony tail. I do however do big clumps of twists at night when I know I am going to rock a pony tail. What I use to twist my hair is, I spritz it with water (very little not a lot) then I use almond oil (I use to use EVOO but I did not like the smell and it was too heavy for my hair which is really light...u can find Almond Oil at Whole Foods in the section where you find the EVOO) actually I am currently using the Whole Foods brand and then I use a little Shikai natural everyday conditioner which can also be found at Whole Foods.

I repeat the process in the morning and brush the front into a ponytail and wear the back in a puff. Works like a charm

Parisanmocha

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 31st December 2010, 11:18 pm

jeanlouisangel wrote:I am battling too. I believe its the weather but I dont know. Emartini, I am wack with the DC. I just cant get into it.. the most I will do is pre poo treatmeant which is EVCO and baggy that night then go thru my wash routine Embarassed I feel very accomplished after that and my hair is super soft, and strong..I do use the Qhemets..and you know there is no way my hair could feel dry after the heavy cream, but i only use it when I wash which is once a week..So if I am protective syling I got three or four days of moisture then if I am not washing or co washing I am a dry mess lol!

Whats the baggy technique? I hear a lot of women speak about that.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 31st December 2010, 11:20 pm

You know what I was thinking today ladies .. I may just have to buy a humidifer for my bedroom. I mean the cold air is probably drying my hair out (even though I wear a hat and satin scarf every day) but also my apartment is really hot. I was just thinking about that today when I was home. The heat is on way too high and it maybe drying my hair out also. affraid
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 31st December 2010, 11:38 pm

Emartini04 wrote:
jeanlouisangel wrote:I am battling too. I believe its the weather but I dont know. Emartini, I am wack with the DC. I just cant get into it.. the most I will do is pre poo treatmeant which is EVCO and baggy that night then go thru my wash routine Embarassed I feel very accomplished after that and my hair is super soft, and strong..I do use the Qhemets..and you know there is no way my hair could feel dry after the heavy cream, but i only use it when I wash which is once a week..So if I am protective syling I got three or four days of moisture then if I am not washing or co washing I am a dry mess lol!

Whats the baggy technique? I hear a lot of women speak about that.
It's just sleeping with a plastic cap...it locks the moisture in. I have been on vacation and while being snowed in I bagged most days. I am trying to avoid the dreaded TWA dryness and it's working!

Last edited by sweetdrk1 on 1st January 2011, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by macmaan 1st January 2011, 3:29 am

In winter my hair and skin is so dray and I have use all product for herbal. It is really do moisturiser for skin and herbal. It is very effective products. I have do massage from hot oil for my hair.

macmaan

Back to top Go down

Post by stevesmillers 3rd January 2011, 11:46 am

I also use a home humidifier (drum type) to keep the humidity in my music room. My piano is grateful to this point. I can usually tell if the humidity drops too low, let my cello screw loosening. Humdifier also allowed to keep the room, feeling more comfortable at lower temperatures. When it gets too dry in the winter, I do not think dampit is able to maintain sufficient moisture for the cello. My cello sounds better when humidity is maintained at a higher level.

stevesmillers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next