CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No growth and dry

+7
creolebeauty1
DvaAuNaturel
Naturally Esq
1FlySista
misskris
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
NaturalSuperWoman
11 posters

Go down

No growth and dry Empty No growth and dry

Post by NaturalSuperWoman 24th December 2010, 5:15 pm

I'm heading back from Afghanistan soon and my hair has not been growing and is dry!!! Does anyone have advice on moisture and growth. This picture is what im currently working with after braiding over night. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] BC Jan 2009

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Summer 2009

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Sept 2010

Last edited by NaturalSuperWoman on 24th December 2010, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pictures)
NaturalSuperWoman
NaturalSuperWoman

Back to top Go down

No growth and dry Empty Re: No growth and dry

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 24th December 2010, 5:18 pm

What is your current routine?

When I was new here (like 2 weeks ago. lol) This link helped me out alot. It has product recomendations to keep your hair properly moisturized.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/09/curlynikki-approved-recommended.html
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 24th December 2010, 5:29 pm

Hey NaturalSuperWoman. I can't see the pic. All it does when I click on the link is go to my page!!!! confused
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 24th December 2010, 5:54 pm

error

Last edited by 1FlySista on 26th December 2010, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

No growth and dry Empty @misskris

Post by NaturalSuperWoman 24th December 2010, 6:20 pm

misskris wrote:Hey NaturalSuperWoman. I can't see the pic. All it does when I click on the link is go to my page!!!! confused
I the pics are up thanks for the help Wink
NaturalSuperWoman
NaturalSuperWoman

Back to top Go down

No growth and dry Empty @Mandi

Post by NaturalSuperWoman 24th December 2010, 6:24 pm

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:What is your current routine?

When I was new here (like 2 weeks ago. lol) This link helped me out alot. It has product recomendations to keep your hair properly moisturized.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/09/curlynikki-approved-recommended.html

I have been washing once a month because I thought that would help it not be so dry and Im using curl activator. But it could be that its a lot a sand here!!
NaturalSuperWoman
NaturalSuperWoman

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 24th December 2010, 7:05 pm

@ Natural, you're welcome. Sometimes this stuff on here is confusing when you're new. Several of us have had to ask for help w/loading pics and stuff. I know I did!! LOL.

So as for the moisture thing, what's the one thing that people use for moisture??? WATER!!! So maybe try washing your hair MORE!!! Your hair needs water just like the rest of your body. And when you wash it or cowash or even just rinse it, apply a leave in or some other good moisturizer and then seal it with coconut oil, jojoba oil, or EVOO. The oil will help keep that moisture in. And personally I wouldn't use that curl activator. If you're hair isn't doing well with it it may not like what's in it!!! Try using more natural products (not sure what you're able to get over there) but you may wanna stay away from mineral oil (if that's in the curl activator) and petroleum ingredients.

But don't shy away from washing/cowashing because your hair needs the water. ESPECIALLY if the sand is making things dryer over there.

Hope that helps. santa
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 24th December 2010, 7:06 pm

Oh, and I LOVE Cantu Shea Leave In. I dunno if you can get that over there but maybe you can try that when you get back to the states. I use that and then seal with either jojoba or coconut oil. SOme people really love evoo too.
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 24th December 2010, 7:07 pm

Generally, hair grows at 1/4 to 1/2 inch per month. Your hair is growing and it looks longer in the pictures.

This is my routine to combat dryness. I hope that it helps you:
Step 1: Balance moisture and protein in your products (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69)
Step 2 : do a ACV clarifying rinse (2 TBS ACV in 1 cup H20) to remove any product build up.
Step 3: shampoo with a non SLS shampoo ( there are many inexpensive ones such as TJ nourish spa, Giovanni etc )
Step 4. Deep condition with a non SLS conditioner ( there are many inexpensive ones such as TJ nourish spa, Giovanni SAS etc )
Step 5: apply a good leave in conditioner, then seal with EVCO, or EVOO or shea butter
Step 6, apply styler
Step 7: repeat weekly

Last edited by Naturally Esq on 24th December 2010, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : editing)
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 24th December 2010, 8:34 pm

Be careful about constantly shampooing your hair. I wouldn't necessarily recommend washing the hair that way. Co-washing is the better way to go. And as NaturallyEsq points out hair only growth is on point. Retention is what really matters after that too, so you may want to be sure you're doing things to protect it properly, especially if you will be somewhere dry like Afghanistan. Spritzes are a big help too. Most of the spritz recommendations I have read about and/or used contain water, a little conditioner, and some type of oil.

Baggying is another option for you to look into as well for extra moisturizing. Here are some references for the baggy method https://curlynikki.forumotion.com/search?search_keywords=baggy

Good luck!
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalSuperWoman 24th December 2010, 11:03 pm

I have never heard of the co-washing and the baggying, I will use both of them soon. As for all of the products I will have to wait until next month when I get back state side:) But I will be sure to keep all the info you all have given and let you know how it works out thanks bunches!!!

Last edited by NaturalSuperWoman on 24th December 2010, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
NaturalSuperWoman
NaturalSuperWoman

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 24th December 2010, 11:07 pm

Hey everyone pretty much put you on the right track if your hair is really dry you might want to use black soap as a shampoo because shampoos dry my hair a lot , than Deep condition your hair, to deep condition use a good conditioner mix it with some oil and honey and let it seat for at least a half hour every week or every 2 weeks when you wash it , hot oil treatment help as well , and make sure you use a good leave in a creamy one i mix my leave in with aloe vera juice and castor oil after applying the leave in to your hair seal with an oil or shea butter you can do a whipped shea butter melt the shea butter than add oils like EVOO , castor oil , jojoba il , mix it , whip it and let it stand , you can use that as a sealer moisturize your hair daily wet it than seal it with your shea butter or any oil you choose coconut oil is very good as well , get a spritz bottle fill it with water to refresh your hair daily and also wear protective styles like braids , twist , weaves wigs buns to retain the length
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 25th December 2010, 1:12 am

everybody on here is giving great advice!!

When i was going thru my dry hair stage as a new natural, i found out the evoo and deep condish mixed as a DT is my friends. Add H2o to my hair everyday...i dont soak my whole head but just enuff before its consider damp.
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 25th December 2010, 2:07 am

This is why I love this forum! Curl power activate!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 25th December 2010, 4:27 am

Sorry to tell you, but it is going to be a game of trial and error. Don't get discouraged if something that was recommended does not work.

Dry hair bcould be because of several reasons: protien sensitivity, not enough protien, product build-up, ph off...

Moptopmaven has a great blog and she breaks several issues down to a science (like hair ph balance, combating dryness, straightening...) Check out her blog, she is a great resource...I highly recommend reading through her hair archives...

Good Luck

Last edited by Indigo.Blue on 25th December 2010, 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better info)
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

No growth and dry Empty Products

Post by NaturalSuperWoman 26th December 2010, 5:10 pm

Where is a good place where I can get these products??
NaturalSuperWoman
NaturalSuperWoman

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 26th December 2010, 5:34 pm

Target has a great line now or curly hair products, a lot of it natural too!!! --the Yes To line, Giovanni, MissJessie's, Kinky Curly. Giovanni is pretty good (for me) and Walmart carries that too. Or you can try stuff at Trader Joe's if theres one where you live when back in the states, Whole Foods, any natural health food store should have the good oils recommended. You can alos browse sites like www.butters-n-bars.com or www.vitacost.com and www.curlmart.com just to name a few.

Make sure you stay with us on here to keep getting the help as you need it!! Very Happy
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalSuperWoman 26th December 2010, 5:51 pm

Thanks for the info I will stay for sure Laughing
NaturalSuperWoman
NaturalSuperWoman

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturalSuperWoman 29th December 2010, 4:01 pm

Hey ladies I have some good news!! I got some EVCO, Jojoba Oil, and Shea Butter to try when I get home, can't wait Wink
NaturalSuperWoman
NaturalSuperWoman

Back to top Go down

Post by bertlala 29th December 2010, 4:57 pm

misskris wrote:@ Natural, you're welcome. Sometimes this stuff on here is confusing when you're new. Several of us have had to ask for help w/loading pics and stuff. I know I did!! LOL.

So as for the moisture thing, what's the one thing that people use for moisture??? WATER!!! So maybe try washing your hair MORE!!! Your hair needs water just like the rest of your body. And when you wash it or cowash or even just rinse it, apply a leave in or some other good moisturizer and then seal it with coconut oil, jojoba oil, or EVOO. The oil will help keep that moisture in. santa

woot! TOTALLY AGREE!!! Water is the number one moisturizer. My hair grew so much over the summer. I would wet it everyday. Water is the key, then a good leave-in and some oil as a sealant. Good luck!!!

bertlala
bertlala

http://naturalbeezwax.onsugar.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down