CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Hair Salons becoming extinct

+23
CarlaAR
FalconTress
mverde3
Madeaj
courtrhapsody
LadyV69
sweetdrk1
LadyMika
Emartini04
Indigo.Blue
Ambitious_Tiff
tamtam7
Niqui36
Free2BMe :)
j. kinky
TLog77
Sweet Tee
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Neems
JazmineB
yacoomba
Spiralos
bertlala
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Black Hair Salons becoming extinct - Page 2 Empty Re: Black Hair Salons becoming extinct

Post by CarlaAR 26th December 2010, 6:23 am

According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?

I am not really aware of any black salons in my area, period. I'm from the Bay Area and when I was still there as of last year, I didn't see any closing.

After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?

I've been natural for over eight years and only been to the salon once (last spring).

Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?

I would if there is a stylist that knows how to deal with/cut/color my hair. When I went to a salon last spring for a trim, it was a so-called "white salon". Though the woman had naturally straight hair, she knew how to cut super curly hair.

If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
If that's true, I think they need to really know what the customers are looking for. One of the black salons I used to frequent back in the '90 had a stylist that cut men's hair: black men, white men, Asian men, etc. It was business. Improve the physical condition of the shops. We don't want to spend our time and money in a place that looks like a dirty liquor store.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Black Hair Salons becoming extinct - Page 2 Empty Re: Black Hair Salons becoming extinct

Post by cluelesscurl 26th December 2010, 4:12 pm

•According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area? I'm not aware of that.

•After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon? Haven't been since 2006 maybe longer.

•Would you frequent a "White" hair salon? I don't think so not because it's a white hair salon I just have no desire to go to the salon period.

•If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
- Improved customer service

-Don't quote me one price then when service is done you surprise me with a different price. That's why I didn't tip you

-I didn't sign up for a sleepover. If I'm given a 12pm appointment I expect you to be there and not have 10 other people with the same appointment as me

-Learn how to do all types of hair not just relaxed and lower your prices the rent is too damn high

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down

Post by curlytee 26th December 2010, 9:47 pm

According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area
I Believe yes. Black Salons like any other Business need a plan and Target Clients is apart of the plan. if Black Business aren't in turned to the needs of the community they will never last.

After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon,
Never, when a salon thinks its ok to make me wait three hours until their Basic services are completed, its was time for me to rethink what I'm willing to pay for.

Yes, I look for the (BBB) Best Bang for my Buck without compromising quality of service or product.

If the trend is true that many of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing? Be willing to service the community. A salon can't do this without knowing what the community needs (Surveying). Offer discounts, (have Ladies Day Wednesday, Act like you need me the customer and finally, stop charging EXTRA for my NATURAL HAIR.
curlytee
curlytee

Back to top Go down

Post by FloridaSunshiny 26th December 2010, 10:37 pm

According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?
I don't see salons closing down, however, there doesn't seem to be consistency with stylists working at the salons.

After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?
I've been natural for 2.5 years. Since going natural, I've been to a black salon a hand full of times. Actually, these were salons that "catered" to natural hair and they charged a grip for a style that didn't last longer than the time it took for me to pay and walk to my car.

I do frequent white salons when it's time for me to get my trims. I've found a few salons that specialize in cutting and trimming curly hair and they just happen to be "white" salons. And, their prices are MUCH more reasonable than black salons, their professionalism has been outstanding, and I get in and out in a reasonable amount of time, and they aren't trying to "sell" me their homemade products for natural hair.

If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
1. Lower their prices. What "white" salons have mastered is a pricing structure that allow them to maintain their clients while making a profit. Black salons need to learn this skill and stop overpricing their services. $100-$150 for twists without extensions? PLEASE!

2. Start working on clients ON TIME. I should not get to my appointment 10 minutes early only to wait 1-2 hours to get into the chair. It's a complete waste of my time and lacks professionalism.

3. Stop overbooking clients. Why would you book cornrolls, twists, loc maintenance and a relaxer within the same hour? Then you have to juggle each of us, which makes a 2-3 hour service 7-8 hours? I shouldn't have to take a vacation day from work just to get my hair done.

4. Stop _____ when doing my hair. Fill in the freakin blank.: talking to your homegirl or man on your cell while doing my hair. Taking a break to eat lunch. Stopping to talk to your girl who stopped by to see you. I'm really not paying you to take care of your personal business. Do my hair and get me out of the salon in a reasonable amount of time, dammit!

5. Do MY hair the way I want it done. Don't improvise and then tell me it looks better than the original style I told you I wanted. NO IT DOESN'T! If you can't do the style, tell me up front and let me decide if I want you to attempt it or do something else.

6. Don't gossip about other clients. I really don't care about your other clients. Plus, I'm pretty sure when I leave, you're talking crap about me.

7. Don't expect a tip. When you start late, give me a style I don't want, overbook clients and overcharge for the style, don't expect a tip. You've made my life hell for the past 5 hours and you've broken the bank. I really don't want to give you an extra $10-$20 for the style. Besides, that's your freaking profession. My boss does not give me a tip for a job well done. It's expected of me if I want to continue getting my paycheck! However, if I choose to give you a tip or make a follow-up appointment or refer others to you (which is the tip in itself), be gracious.

8. Put your "natural" pricing on par with other services Why are you charging $60 for a relaxer but double that for twists? Why are you charging $50 to wash and doobie wrap relaxed hair, but charging $90 for loc maintenance and $80 for a wash and flat iron for natural hair?

9. Stop trying to sell me your natural products. I realize there is a market for products targeted for natural hair. However, if I tell you that I have products that I like, don't try to sell me the homemade products you bottled up. Since you don't have an ingredient list on your products, I don't know if you're using refined or unrefined products, organic products, etc.

Oh my, I was on my soapbox, wasn't I?
FloridaSunshiny
FloridaSunshiny

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 27th December 2010, 12:24 am

* According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?

I honestly wouldn't know. I moved here a year ago and I'm not super familiar with the area.

* After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?

I'll go for color services. Maybe some basic styling if I just want to feel pampered. I got a weave this past year.

* Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?

Yes. They tend to have better customer service which I think is sad. Also they're more adventurous and have a wider skill set.

* If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?

Step your game up. Learn about natural hair and learn about color. Every black woman doesn't not want a press n curl, a relaxer, or some kind of weave. There's other stuff out there.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2