CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WaPo Article on Black Hair Stylist Integrating White Salons

2 posters

Go down

WaPo Article on Black Hair Stylist Integrating White Salons Empty WaPo Article on Black Hair Stylist Integrating White Salons

Post by Cher Nikki 8th December 2010, 8:05 pm

Thought folks may find this article interesting....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/04/AR2010120400171.html

I went to salons for my relaxed and natural hair for a long time but I always found myself frustrated with logistics. Now that I have learned to care for my hair myself I don't bother with stylist. I don't think the community or culture of salons is lost when there are so many hair care forums, groups, and meetups that can be found online in which Black women can have spaces to talk about their hair care regimens, problems and issues. It's interesting though that Black and White women are in the same salon. I had a white class mate that asked me where I got my hair done and started going to my natural hair stylist because she has very curly hair and was having a hard time managing it. That is basically the only time I have ever really seen a White women at a Black salon. afro

Cher Nikki

Back to top Go down

WaPo Article on Black Hair Stylist Integrating White Salons Empty Re: WaPo Article on Black Hair Stylist Integrating White Salons

Post by cluelesscurl 8th December 2010, 9:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. How do you guys feel about this quote

"You are erasing culture, you are erasing history and you are erasing a way African Americans have socialized with each other for decades," said Charles Gallagher, a white professor of sociology, criminal justice and social work at La Salle University.

I don't think so would love to hear some feedback

cluelesscurl

Back to top Go down