CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area

+6
nikki0507
MizzTriniRi
tiashaunteé
wordofpower
CurlySpeechTherapist
curlyq145
10 posters

Go down

natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area Empty natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area

Post by curlyq145 16th November 2009, 11:07 pm

Hi,

@ CurlyNikki First of all let me just say CurlyNikki I LOOOOOVE your site! It's so informative and I found it last night! I was so touched by reading your story and your husband's request for you to wear your natural hair on your wedding day! He is truly rare!

I live in Silver Spring, MD and have been natural for 2 years! I recently got the last of the perm part cut out of my hair (thought it was all out) and it seems that I still can see straight ends so I'm really not sure if it's completely gone or not! I have stopped so many ladies everywhere on the street, train, at the bus to compliment them on their hair, ask what they use, and if they go to a salon. I've been living here for 2 years and I want to find a salon here that specializes in curly hair. If anyone can recommend someone I would greatly appreciate it! thanks in advance!
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area Empty Re: natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area

Post by CurlySpeechTherapist 17th November 2009, 12:52 am

girl, good question. there are some good ones in md (dc), but since i don't live there i couldn't name them. if you're willing to go to philly there are a TON!! jersey and ny, too - of course. someone posted a thread for hampton roads meet-ups. i asked her if there are any great salons. oh, and one lady told me about a place in charlottesville. her hair was so fly i may take the drive!!
CurlySpeechTherapist
CurlySpeechTherapist

Back to top Go down

natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area Empty Re: natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area

Post by wordofpower 17th November 2009, 12:25 pm

Salon Revive in DC is owned and operated by two Ethiopian sisters and is an Aveda concept salon. Noire Salon is in Silver Spring and so is Jaha Hair Studio. I haven't been to the third one on my list, but I plan to try it out. The other two do a good job.

wordofpower

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 17th November 2009, 2:21 pm

I found this website with a listing for almost every state:
http://www.treasuredlocks.com/salons.html
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MizzTriniRi 17th November 2009, 8:47 pm

I actually did my big chop at Salon Revive on August 7. If you have 4a-4b hair, I would NOT recommend that salon. After getting home and taking a good look at my hair, I realized that the stylist did a pretty terrible job cutting my hair. I am still trying to get rid of some relaxed ends, and I'm desperately in search of a salon here in DC.
MizzTriniRi
MizzTriniRi

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 17th November 2009, 10:40 pm

@ curlyspeechtherapist...thanks for the tips! i didn't want anyone to cut my hair until I went to the NY to see Miko @ MissJessies b/c she specializes in cutting curly hair.

@wordofpower...can you tell me more about Noire salon and Jaha hair and the stylists name? I'm looking specifically for someone that specializes in curly hair as the cut is so important and for color!

@tiashauntee..thanks for the site!

@mizztriniri..thanks for the heads up on salon revive and i definitely won't be going there for a cut!
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

Post by wordofpower 22nd November 2009, 9:45 pm

Curlyq145,

After posting, I did a review search for Jaha and it wasn't favorable, at least for ppl without locs. I'm not sure about that salon firsthand b/c, as I mentioned, I've never been there. Noire (Camille Reed) does color and locs. My hair is not loc'd and she's braided it (cornrows w/just my hair) a few times. She used Miss Jessie's on my hair the last time and WHEW! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I didn't realize how much it would smell!!! She also used the hand dryer to blow my hair out, and I think if I go again I won't allow that. Her braiding and twisting is great and the clients I've seen with color treatments looked good (they were mostly locs though). I may try her one more time, but only if she can braid my hair without blowing it out.

wordofpower

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 23rd November 2009, 9:32 pm

Curlyq145,

After posting, I did a review search for Jaha and it wasn't favorable, at least for ppl without locs. I'm not sure about that salon firsthand b/c, as I mentioned, I've never been there. Noire (Camille Reed) does color and locs. My hair is not loc'd and she's braided it (cornrows w/just my hair) a few times. She used Miss Jessie's on my hair the last time and WHEW! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I didn't realize how much it would smell!!! She also used the hand dryer to blow my hair out, and I think if I go again I won't allow that. Her braiding and twisting is great and the clients I've seen with color treatments looked good (they were mostly locs though). I may try her one more time, but only if she can braid my hair without blowing it out.

Thanks for the update! I actually talked with a lady on the bus tonight that mentioned Camille and her color so I may try her out for that only. i'm still looking for someone to cut curly hair right before i make the trip to NY.
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

Post by nikki0507 10th December 2009, 10:22 pm

NATURAL SHAPES!!! it's on New York Ave in DC. Fantastic! I love the ladies who work there and they do fantastic work. Check them out on www.natural-shapes.com. They did my chop when I finished transitioning. My avi is my hair one month post chop. That reminds me...I need to make an appointment for a trim!
nikki0507
nikki0507

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyq145 12th December 2009, 5:33 pm

thanks nikki0507! What are the prices and who do you go to?
curlyq145
curlyq145

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 16th December 2009, 4:22 am

http://www.essentialsbeautyspa.com/default.asp in laurel, md.

EXCELLENT customer service. they actually specialize in natural hair and lareesha is awesome. i went in with the intention of gettin comb coils and came out with kinky twist. im big on customer service becuz im finicky with who i spend my hard earned money with. they've made a lastin impression on me and i will return!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

natural hair salons for curly hair in the DC, MD, VA area Empty Yay!

Post by ChrsLvsBks 16th December 2009, 11:15 am

NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:http://www.essentialsbeautyspa.com/default.asp in laurel, md.

EXCELLENT customer service. they actually specialize in natural hair and lareesha is awesome. i went in with the intention of gettin comb coils and came out with kinky twist. im big on customer service becuz im finicky with who i spend my hard earned money with. they've made a lastin impression on me and i will return!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] So glad you had a great experience. I love your hair. It looks great. Did you pick up any new products? I know they carry quite a few of the natural hair product lines.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Silkee 20th December 2009, 9:55 pm

I live in Md as well. I have not been to a salon yet as I have been doing my hair myself. I did an Internet search on natural hair salons and found several in the Baltimore area. The one that stood out the most was Na'Klectic Natural Hair Gallery. Google them; they have a pretty nice site with several pics.
Silkee
Silkee

Back to top Go down

Post by Silkee 20th December 2009, 9:57 pm

I live in Md as well. I have not been to a salon yet as I have been doing my hair myself. I did an Internet search on natural hair salons and found several in the Baltimore area. The one that stood out the most was Na'Klectic Natural Hair Gallery.

You can find them at: http://www.naklecticnaturalhair.com/Home.cfm
Silkee
Silkee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshine_One 31st December 2009, 10:01 pm

wordofpower wrote:Salon Revive in DC is owned and operated by two Ethiopian sisters and is an Aveda concept salon. Noire Salon is in Silver Spring and so is Jaha Hair Studio. I haven't been to the third one on my list, but I plan to try it out. The other two do a good job.

Wow, Wodofpower I'm sorry you had a bad experience @ Salon Revive. May I ask who your stylist was? I ask because Revive is one of salons I go to occasionally and they have always down a great job on my hair. Especially on cutting. My stylist is Yodit and she has 3c/4a hair. I had space out my visits (once or twice a year now) because she was cutting my hair a little to well and I'm on a growth journey. LOL But I digress....I hope you find a stylist than can assist you in achieving your hair goals.

Be blessed!
Sunshine_One
Sunshine_One

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down