CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Hair Salons becoming extinct

+23
CarlaAR
FalconTress
mverde3
Madeaj
courtrhapsody
LadyV69
sweetdrk1
LadyMika
Emartini04
Indigo.Blue
Ambitious_Tiff
tamtam7
Niqui36
Free2BMe :)
j. kinky
TLog77
Sweet Tee
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Neems
JazmineB
yacoomba
Spiralos
bertlala
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Black Hair Salons becoming extinct Empty Black Hair Salons becoming extinct

Post by bertlala 23rd December 2010, 3:25 pm

Good afternoon fellow natauralistas,

I have frequented black-owned salon's since I was a child. I love going into the salon and talking to my stylist about life, love, politics, religion, the neighborhood gossip and all that great one of kind conversation that you can only get in a salon. Since, I have BC'd, however, I haven't been back to the salon. I do miss all the camaraderie and conversation, but I need this time to get to know my hair. I need this time to understand its likes, dislikes, what it needs and what it does not need nor want.

I am currently subscribed to CharyJay's YT Channel 160Days2Lose2. In her recent vlog post, "Natural Beauties in the City Episode 1", her and her friends discussed an article that is featured in December's Essence "Black Salons Closing Due to Changing Trends". I read the article, plus the Washington Post article "Recession, hair trends cut deep at black women's salons". After reading the article, I am left with some questions and I am hoping I can get the natural hair community feedback on this topic.

• According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?

• After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?

• Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?

• If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?

Thank you in advance for offering your feedback.
bertlala
bertlala

http://naturalbeezwax.onsugar.com/

Back to top Go down

Black Hair Salons becoming extinct Empty Re: Black Hair Salons becoming extinct

Post by Spiralos 23rd December 2010, 5:29 pm

Hi Bertlala,

According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?
I saw a black barber shop close up because there were 2 other shops on the same block. Maybe for these black salons they had too much competition? I don't see that trend in my area, otherwise.

After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?
I only visited a salon maybe once or twice in my lifetime to get relaxers when I was younger, but since I have natural hair now, I don't need to go there if all they have are relaxer services and don't cater to clients with naturally curly hair.

Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?
I don't think they would take us, lol!

If the trend is true that many of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
I think these troubled salons should stop blaming "trends" and get with the program and start offering services to clientele with different needs. It's like they would rather close up then learn to do natural hair. scratch

HTH!
Spiralos
Spiralos

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 23rd December 2010, 5:36 pm

According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?
Hmm-well I haven't really seen to many close up honestly in my area. The girl at my church who had a salon with her mom (she's nat) closed up and does hair out of her house now. Didn't really ask her the reasoning

I'm still transitioning, but I haven't been to a salon for services since June of this year. Once natural not sure when I would frequent the salon (haven't given it much thought). I think my hair is doing well in my hands for now.

Good question-for the last couple of years the salon I have gone to has been "White" and yes my hairdresser is as well. I've had great service from her regarding trims(actual trim and not cut-you all know what I mean), cuts, not overbooking, and just great service all around.

If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?Not sure-will need to ponder and come back with a response. :-)
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 23rd December 2010, 6:00 pm

I'm not familiar with black salons in my area

I NEVER go anymore, I would love to get my hair cornrowed every now and then, but its too expensive

Not frequent, but I flat iron my hair and go to Supercuts to get my ends trimmed. Other than that, no.

If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
LOWER THEIR PRICES. I know they have to make a living, but its a recession. Better a little money than none. I called a salon in my area to ask how much getting just the front of my hair cornrowed would be and she said "depending on how thick your hair is, the starting price is $30, and thats just for a big braids and a basic style." Maybe I'm cheap but I think it should only be $15-$20 for that.
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 23rd December 2010, 6:47 pm

•According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?
I think the hair salons that opened without business plans are closing. The ones that are willing to adapt to tehir changing clientelle, ie cater to more customers going natural or opting to use less damaging products are the ones that will survive.

•After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?
Since taking care of my hair, meyslf I have gone to hair salon only 1 time in the last year. I will probably go more often since I foudn someone I trust.

•Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?
Sure, if I could find one that is affordable. Most of the white salons in my area are upscale and quite expensive.

•If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
I think this closure trend reflects the currnet state of the economy. Most hair salons are small businesses and are probably sufering from the lack of availale credit and cash flow problems. To prevent them from closing salon owners have to plan ahead. All of the good salons that I have been to have loyalty programs and value their customers' opinions. Spending the whole day in a salon and being overbooked is bad for busines. Addtionally, salon owners shouldn't just wait until their in trouble to get help. The USA Small Business Administation has a whole host of resources available.
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! 23rd December 2010, 6:55 pm

•According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?

In Alaska, there are not that many but of the ones we do have, they seem to be doing fine.

•After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?
I still go for a deep condition and press.

•Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?
The salon I go to now could be considered white. All the stylist work with all hair types. Natural included.

•If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?

LOWER PRICES. Some of these prices are rediculous. $40 for cornrowing my own hair?
Mandi'sGoneCurly!
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 23rd December 2010, 7:16 pm

There aren't many black salons in my area. The few that I am aware of seem to be doing ok.

I don't go at all. I didn't go much prior to going natural because
my hair did better doing it myse
lf.

Not now, but when I was relaxed, I would not rule it out.
As long as I felt comfy in the establishment and with the stylist,
I probably would.
But I would exclude relaxer services.
Before I went natural, I frequented a Hispanic salon for cuts/trims. They were EXCELLENT
!!!

If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?

Learn to cater to ALL hair types-
including Caucasians, Hispanics, & Natural
s!
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by TLog77 23rd December 2010, 7:31 pm

I haven't been to a salon in a very, very long time. I think salons will have to become more natural-oriented in order to remain relevant.
TLog77
TLog77

http://www.purplefabric.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 23rd December 2010, 7:53 pm

* According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?

No not really because as long as there's weaves around, they aint never going go outta business...lol

* After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?

Not never. I rather do my own hair. i'm the only one who know how to care for my hair and nobody can show it love and tenderness like I.

* Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?

Naw.Nope.Nada.No. Hell naw...had a bad experience in hair school...smh...i'll pass

* If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?

I honestly dont have a answer

[i][b]
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Free2BMe :) 23rd December 2010, 8:21 pm

* According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?
Not really, but I do see people doing hair in the back of some of my local beauty supply stores.

Have not gone yet, and don't plan on going anytime soon!

I probably would because I hear they are good at working with different types of hair (they probably knew they couldn't have a successful business sticking to only one type of hair texture).

* If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
Learn about different types of hair and how to PROPERLY work with it.
And I would also say lower their prices, but I understand that they have to pay their light bills, etc. at their salon AND make a profit also.

http://xoxo-chichi.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 23rd December 2010, 9:48 pm

I don't see this in my area. There are black salons everywhere BUT I can't find a salon that specializes in natural hair.
I havent been to a salon since I big chopped.
Well I went regularly to a white woman who owned a salon (she was the only worker) and she actually only does Black hair. Not natural hair though unless she is straightening it.
They can stop charging an arm and a leg and learn how to do natural hair.
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 23rd December 2010, 10:14 pm

I do not see this as a trend in my area. My hairstylist is always booked and it's difficult for me to schedule an appointment with her at times.

I go once a month. I like to treat myself.

I would prefer not to. I really like my stylist. She and her partner wear their hair naturally curly and I do not think that I will get the same care and attention from a white stylist or a black stylist from a white salon. In fact, I've gone to white salons and I didn't get the same quality service. Plus one of the things I love most about going to my salon is that we have "girl talk" the way only black women can about topics that affect us.

Definately lower prices and also diversify. While my stylist is natural, she does natural and relaxed hair. She says that she prefers to do natural hair because her clients with relaxed hair struggle with maintaining healthy hair,but she is a smart business woman and knows that in our area many black women are still addicted to the creamy crack so she has to extend her services to them as well.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 23rd December 2010, 11:41 pm

Q:According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area?
A: Its hard to say since I only visit salons for trims or cuts now. My mother, sisters, and friends have been frequenting the same salons for years. This doesn't appear to be a prevalent issue here.

Q:After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon?
A: I only go for trims. I want to learn how to care for my own hair before trusting it to someone else.

Q:Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?
A: I would be more likely to go there if I just wanted to just get in & get out. If I arrive at a point were I am looking for assistance in taking care of or maintaining my hair, probably not. I would be more apt to trust someone with hair that looks like mine.

Q:If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?
A: There's so many things. Diversify, Diversify, Diversify. How can you expect to thrive when you limit your clientele to only he services YOU'RE comfortable with? Become knowledge on different types of hair and fatten your bottom line. Also, lower prices and possibly offer classes or seminars. To me its ridiculous to have to pay $50-$60 just for a wash and blow out! Rewards programs and incentives would help too. At least if you're gonna charge me an arm and a leg to do my hair, offer me a discount off my next service. I'll come back to at least use my coupon. RESPECT MY TIME! I don't want to sit in the salon/shop all day b/c you overbooked!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo.Blue 23rd December 2010, 11:57 pm

If you are not willing to evolve in any business you will soon become extinct. I remember telling my stylist over 5 years ago that women are going natural. I strongly encouraged her to appeal to this new transistioning population. She brushed me off (in a nice way). It is like the book "who moved my cheese" by Dr. Spencer Johnson, you have to realize when the cheese supply is dwindling and move with the cheese.

As for going to an "other" to get my hair done...ummmmm...NO!
Indigo.Blue
Indigo.Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 24th December 2010, 12:44 pm

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:

LOWER PRICES. Some of these prices are rediculous. $40 for cornrowing my own hair?

totally ridiculous! Feeling like I'm being ripped off just makes me angry, and I never end up going. I mean I probably would if I "had it like that," but unfortunately I don't.

j. kinky wrote:
because as long as there's weaves around, they aint never going go outta business...lol

LOL. . .AGREED!
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 25th December 2010, 5:03 am

No I don't think is true in my area. They're all still open.

Maybe every 2 - 4 months when I need my ends clipped other than that I wash, moisturize and twist at home.

Would you frequent a "White" hair salon?Sure will. Where I get my hair cut now is a white salon but my stylist is Asian and specializes in curly hair. This is my first white salon I've ever went too and now that I'm older I'm realizing you have to seek a stylist with knowledge not color.

If the trend is true that many of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing?Honestly? Lower their prices. I've noticed since I was younger black salons charge way too much money for their services and if your income is not so high you won't be able to afford these places.

Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 25th December 2010, 10:29 am

In NYC? No. At least, not that I can tell. I don't live in a predominantly black neighborhood anymore, but I imagine they're staying open. As long as there's a demand to look a certain way they'll have business.

The last time I had my hair cut by another person, was to get my hair shaped and tapered after my second BC--at a barber. I haven't been to a proper salon since the first BC back in '08. I've never been a fan of salons; I'm used to doing my own hair, and feel "iffy" about letting someone I don't know style my hair.

No. Like I said, I'm really not a fan of salons regardless of who's running it. I prefer to do my own hair.

A big one would be LOWER PRICES for services. While not a salon person, I still cringe when I hear the amount of money people pay to have their hair done. Especially if it's a service they can do themselves at home. Another one? EXPAND THE RANGE OF THEIR CLIENTELE--and that goes for ANY salon, regardless of ethnicity. My neighborhood as a slew of Hispanic/Latino salons, Asian salons and "white" salons, and NONE of them will even TRY to style my hair. I have to travel to either Harlem or Brooklyn (at least a 30 minute train ride either way) and pay money I don't have for a service I can do myself. And a natural salon? FORGET IT. $100 for comb coils? COMB COILS people. I'd better get STRINGS OF FUCKING GOLD in my hair if I spend $100 on a style THAT simple! Neutral

Okay, I'm off my soap box. Laughing
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 25th December 2010, 2:51 pm

According to the article, black salons are closing at a visible rate, is this a trend you see in your area? No I haven't noticed that in my area. I am in Northern NJ

•After going natural, how often, if at all, do you go to a hair salon? I go to get my color done and my ends trimmed. But I don't go every other week like I use to

•Would you frequent a "White" hair salon? I have in the past, but the stylist is black does that count? scratch

•If the trend is true that may of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing ? They need to adapt to the enviorment, I think that is easy to do
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyV69 25th December 2010, 5:55 pm

I live in a predominantly black area and most of them are still in business. Many of us are still addicted to the creamy crack and a number of us want weaves, so I don't see too many salons going out of business in the near term.

I haven't gone since my BC over a year ago, although I may be going in a couple of weeks to get braid extensions.

It never occurred to me to do so before, but if they knew how to work with my texture, it shouldn't be a problem.

They need to lower their prices and diversify. There is no reason to charge $100 for twists or comb coils, styles easily done at home. Also, salons are missing out on business by not working with all textures.

LadyV69

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody 25th December 2010, 8:04 pm

No I don't think is true in my area.

Almost never, I went to Christo in NYC to get my hair cut but that is my only salon trip since by BC.

Would you frequent a "White" hair salon? When relaxed I frequented a black hairdresser who worked at Regis in the mall. I liked the safe area, easy parking and the way their prices were set and they took credit cards, etc.

If the trend is true that many of our community hair salon's are closing - what in your opinion can current hair salon stylist do to prevent their salon from closing? Be more professional and treat you better. Don't keep you waiting for an hour before they start your head. Don't wet your head to get you stuck there. Don't leave you under the dryer while you do three other people. Don't talk loudly on the phone or eat chicken wings over my head. I hated all of that. I would gladly pay good money to avoid that sort of thing.
courtrhapsody
courtrhapsody

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 25th December 2010, 8:45 pm

Not eat chicken wings over your head! lol!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 25th December 2010, 9:02 pm

LOL @ eating chicken wings. That is so true. I remember the hairdresser I used to go to growing up. One of the hairdressers, I think it was one of the owners, always had a "cold" coming on. So she was constantly drinking a toddy, laced heavily with booze of some kind. geek I was a kid so it didn't even occur to me to say anything but I didn't like the way she smelled to my mother.

After one too many ear burns, my mother started doing my hair again. It had been my request to go to a beauty parlor like my friends. They only charged a few bucks for a press and curl on kids, if the hair was prewashed and detangled. The reason for the cheap price was probably the owner's love of homemade cold remedies Very Happy .

If there is a decline of the old-time beauty shops, I think its because they didn't deversify enough. Weaves, press and curls, relaxers and braids are not enough. Curly hair, straight hair, short and long, these shops need to know how to do more than chemical processing and gel sculptures. If they want to charge the high prices, they need to have a more professional environment. Clean, no waiting when you have an appointment, no chicken wings etc. Going to the beauty parlor used to be an all day event. People don't have that kind of time. If I want to spend all day on my hair, I'll do it at home.

Other black owned and minority shops will take their place as people realize natural, curly, and textured hair and avoiding harsh chemical processes are not just a fad. Look at hair products. Manufacturers are realizing that they can't just throw anything in a bottle, put a pretty black face on it and watch us buy crap at high prices. Even the natural bandwagoners are realizing we are not stupid, a lot are reformulating their so-called natural products when the community tears apart their ingredient lists. cheers
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by mverde3 25th December 2010, 9:10 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Not eat chicken wings over your head! lol!

I had this happen to me as a kid !! I was young and thought it was the norm lol, I did not know any better.

@LadyMika - you are TOO funny !!! hahah lol!

--- I don't even know any black salons in my area. I'm sure there are probably some around..but most people do hair out of their homes. I know I do hair at my house or at the client's house.

--- I haven't been to a salon since the late 1990's (when I was 8/9)

--- No, I'd rather deal with my hair. I'm a very picky picky person (emphasis on picky)

--- Learn how to do styles that bring customers to you. If you can't beat them, join them..(while keeping some change in the customers' pockets)
mverde3
mverde3

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 25th December 2010, 9:41 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Not eat chicken wings over your head! lol!

OH MY GOD. . .Thats so unprofessional! I had to actually stop my ex-hair braider once and tell her to go wash her hands, because she ate a whole bag of CHEETO'S and was about to put her dirty orange hands in my head. wtf? That made me so mad!
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 26th December 2010, 12:27 am

The number of black salons has not decreased in my area.

I have not visited a salon since I cut off the last of my relaxed ends.

A "white" salon is an option for me because I will have a consultation before I decide to patronize any salon.

I can't remember where I read this: When an entrepreneur does not have an exit strategy in the business plan, the marketplace will provide one. The business will either survive change and deliver a return on the investment at the end of its life cycle or close/sell at a loss.
The combination of the recession, clients opting to stop perming, extend the interval between relaxers or do their own services at home may have created the "perfect storm" for ethnic salons.

Establishing a pricing model that penalizes patrons with natural hair is not a solution.

IMO, if you excel at the maintaining & styling relaxed hair, then you need to invest the time and resources necessary to establish an "A" game for servicing natural hair.

Last edited by FalconTress on 26th December 2010, 12:34 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add last comment & correct typo)

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next