CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fine Hair: Two Different Textures -- NO HOLD! HELP!

+2
Naturally Esq
Smooth Jazz Luvr
6 posters

Go down

Fine Hair: Two Different Textures -- NO HOLD! HELP! Empty Fine Hair: Two Different Textures -- NO HOLD! HELP!

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 23rd December 2010, 3:01 pm

Hey Ladies! Need your help/suggestions please! My hair is fine and thin all over. It's very scalpy still when I "undo" my two-strand (overnight) twists. My hair is two/three different textures. On the one side the twist out is thicker than the other side. The other side is thinner, the twist out is looser and frizzes more. When I do a 2:1 ratio to try to compensate - HOT MESS! The scalp/crown area is even thinner (when I use my fingers for lifting, you see more of my fingers than hair). When I undo the twists, I HAVE to separate and finger comb through to cover up the scalp/parts. At this point, my twistout looks horrible to me - my hair has that matted look. At the back of my head, under crown down to neck, this area twist out turns in to a puffy/no twist area (think humidity puffiness).

Relative to hold, when I two-strand twist my hair, I have to bobby pin it at the scalp, then take it and stretch to another twist/hair area and bobby pin them at the end as well because they won't stay twisted. I use Giovanni Direct or Garnier leave in, spray with a moisturizer home-made mix (water, conditioner, oil), then seal with argan oil. The first day is OK, but the second day on, no hold - even after bobby pinning and looks/feel dry. Argan oil was working OK at first, but now not so good. When I use shea butter and the oils, it makes it look stringy, weighs it down, and is TOOOO greasy.

I think I've rambled enough (so sorry) to give you guys an idea of the situation. Your suggestions, for products, process, style would be so helpful! I will end this by saying with all the frustration, trial & error, I love being natural rather than having/going back to a perm! Thanks Ladies!

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Fine Hair: Two Different Textures -- NO HOLD! HELP! Empty Re: Fine Hair: Two Different Textures -- NO HOLD! HELP!

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd December 2010, 3:14 pm

1. The products that you are using a good for moisturizing but they have no hold. Since you like Giovanni Direct, I suggest that you also use Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam to style and hold your set.

2. I also have thin/fine hair and twists look "scalpy" on me. I use either curlformers or magnetic snap rollers to style my hair.
hth

Last edited by Naturally Esq on 23rd December 2010, 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Fine Hair: Two Different Textures -- NO HOLD! HELP! Empty Re: Fine Hair: Two Different Textures -- NO HOLD! HELP!

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 23rd December 2010, 3:24 pm

Thanks Naturally Esq! What are curlformers? When you use the snap rollers, are you doing a wet set? Under dryer? How long? What kind of style/s? Thanks again

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 23rd December 2010, 4:20 pm

1. Curlformers are hard to describe but great to use. There are many You Tube videos and this is there website: www.curlformers.com

2. I use magnetic snap rollers for wet sets and for damp sets to touch up a style. I don't use a dryer. My wet sets dry overnight and the damp sets dry within 2-4 hours. Theses rollers also keep my roots from puffing.

3. There are countless styles and many You Tube videos. I usually roll my hair in a spiral roll and it looks like a twist out without the scalp showing, when I unroll it.
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 23rd December 2010, 11:56 pm

I have some of the same problems with my fine hair; twists coming apart during and after twisting and frizz. I used to do the the bobby pin thing for keeping them together, but nothing helped frizz. I've recently discovered Darcy's Botanicals Curl Cream Gel. Love it. It tackles both problems. I got it as a test item for BF, so I'm not sure it's on her website for sale yet. It's basically a creamy gel, so with that, I recommend you use a gel. Something lightweight without a strong hold.

Before I found the Darcy's I used Kiss My Face Uppermanagement Gel. It's a medium hold gel with all natural ingredients. For each twist, I put on my moisturizer (Elasta QP or Curls Whipped Cream) and then a little (very, very little) of the gel from root to twist and twisted. They stayed together and I had no frizz when I twisted out the next day. I was so happy. I think I read it on another fine haired naturals blog. It works.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 2nd January 2011, 1:28 am

Hi Everyone,

I hear you ladies with fine thin hair. My hair is the same. The front has a looser curl pattern while the back is tightly curled and much thicker. I recently found the solution...FINGER COILS. Some say it is more time consuming than 2 strand twists, but I disagree.

Without parting, I take wet hair apply curls gel-les'c (goddess curls in Tarjay) with moisturizer(Shea Moisture Conditioning Curl and Style Milk) and do the coils. Then I do a coil out, and it looks fuller and well defined.

Try it out and see if you like them!

MelMelBee
MelMelBee

http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 2nd January 2011, 1:38 am

This is the coil-out result in my avatar!
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 2nd January 2011, 10:10 am

I have fine hair too and I have skalp showing most of the time. I think your fuzziness comes because you are manipulating it too much after the twistout. You can look at my hair crosseyed and it will frizz. I always twist my hair wet. It holds better for my fine hair. I also keep my twist in for a couple of days. I will pull the twists back into a bun and strategically plays twists in the gappy areas so those are covered. If I wear a twistout, I untwist first, then go do something for about 15 minutes and my hair will puff and cover most of the gaps. If they are not covered I take a hair chopstick or the end of a rat tail comb and jab the hair across the gap. The chopstick or rat tail is thinner than my fingers so it is less manipulation. You can also add a dab of eco styler ot ic fantasia to your leave in as you twist for a little hold. I have had to braid the first half inch of my hair at the roots and then twist. It is working ok.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 10th January 2011, 5:16 pm

My hair is fine, too- no way that I can wear twists in public, it just looks sad.
They are always unraveling and it seems that my hair does not like manipulation a lot. So I have to accept that twists are not for me.
I will try them again when my hair is longer (chin legth at this time). I just bun or do mini-puffs to protect my hair while waiting for it to grow longer.
For the product choice- I found out less is more. My hair can handle even coconut oil- if used in very small amounts.
I am on my personal 2011 hair challenge- grow it thicker and longer and to achieve this I henna weekly (one week henna, one week a mix of henna and amla). I really love the results.
Henna thickens my hair and my curl pattern is much more defined, the definition holds much longer than usual.
Another way to make the curls "pop" and avoid frizziness is a hair detox with rhassoul clay, I do this whenever my hair feels lifeless.
I rarely use a product for more hold, if so, it is Aveda Light Whip or Aveda Be curly.
I just ordered oyin shine and define and will re-post the results as soon as I have tried it out.
I swear by homemade flaxseed gel with a tiny amount of olive of and my EO of the day (usually Ylang Ylang) when I wnat more hold, there is a thread about making Flax seed gel around here.
Usually I just moisturize (either Oyin honey hemp as a leave in or- rose water when hair is damp and some coconut oil when hair is completely dry).
As far as I notice, most of us fine, thin hair folk's hair hates it to be manipulated and been covered in too much product.
And a good hair vitamin does not hurt, ;-).
I just dicovered the magic of drinking herbal infusion with hair strengthening properties (horsetail, nettle, oatstraw and raspberry).

I would absolutely try the finger coils as a protective style.

BTW, Mel, you are so darn beautiful, love the coils!

Last edited by tshala on 11th January 2011, 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : horrible typos, sorry!)
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 10th January 2011, 5:22 pm

tshala wrote:My hair is fine, too- no way that I can wear twists in public, it just looks sad. They are always unraveling and it seems that my hair does not like manipulation a lot. so I have to that twists are not for m. I will try them again when my hair is longer (chin legth at this time) So i just bun or do mini-puffs to protect my hair.
For the product choice- I found out less is more. My hair can stand even coconut oil- if used in very small amounts.
I am on my personal 2011 hair challenge-grow it thicker and longer and to achieve this I henna weekly (one week henna, one week a mix of henna and amla).
This thickens my hair and my curl pattern is much more defined and the definition holds much longer than usual. Another way to make the curls "pop" and avoid frizziness is a hair detox with rhassoul clay, I do this whenever my hair feels lifeless.I rarely use a product for more hold, if I do, it is Aveda Light Whip ar Aveda Be curly , I just ordered oyin shine and define and will re-post the results as soon as I have tried it out. I swear by homemade flaxseed gel (there is a thread about it around here) when I want more hold, but usually I just moisturize (Oyin honey hemp as a leave in or-nothing but rose water when hair is damp and some coconut oil when hair is completely dry. As far as I notice, most of us fine, thin hair folk' s hair hates it to be manipulated and been covered in too much product. And a good hair vitamin does not hurt, either. And I jst dicovered the magci of drinikn herbal infusion with hair strengthening properties (horsetail, nettle, oatstraw and raspberry)

I would absolutely try the finger coils as a protective style.

BTW, Mel, you are so darn beautiful, love the coils!

Thanks so much Embarassed You and your are gorgeous too! Definitely keep me posted on the coils. How is the Germany winter on your hair?
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 10th January 2011, 5:22 pm

Meant to add "Hair"...you and your hair..LOL
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 11th January 2011, 9:48 am

@ Mel ,awww thank you !! I'll keep you posted on the finger coils!
Me and my hair are very, very unhappy with the temperatures and the snow in general over here No .
My hair cannot stand hats and I look a hot mess after having a hat on for more than an hour.
I can't wait for spring to come!

tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee 12th January 2011, 1:35 am

tshala wrote:@ Mel ,awww thank you !! I'll keep you posted on the finger coils!
Me and my hair are very, very unhappy with the temperatures and the snow in general over here No .
My hair cannot stand hats and I look a hot mess after having a hat on for more than an hour.
I can't wait for spring to come!

I could only imagine...I had to completely revamp my hair and skin routine this winter because the extreme cold is really drying me out! I feel you on those hats...can't stand them. The best I can do is a beanie that covers half of my head...LOL! I can't wait for spring/summer so that I can get out of protective styling and "unleash" my curls Smile
MelMelBee
MelMelBee

Back to top Go down

Post by tshala 12th January 2011, 4:50 am

@Mel: Love, love , love your signature!
And yeah, thank god for beanies! I am also rocking this half-head-covered style...
Spring, here we come...just about 67 days to go until spring Smile
tshala
tshala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down