CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning in the Winter

+5
marcysuburbs
Intelligentbeauty
Tmochava
naturallyunique
natural_nance
9 posters

Go down

Transitioning in the Winter Empty Transitioning in the Winter

Post by natural_nance 2nd December 2009, 2:45 pm

So I just heard on the news that we're expecting snow flurries, Winter is coming!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm wondering what styles you guys plan on wearing to survive the Winter months? I had hoped to do buns but I can only style my hair in a bun when it's wet. And my usual braid outs haven't been drying fully by morning. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!
natural_nance
natural_nance

Back to top Go down

Transitioning in the Winter Empty Re: Transitioning in the Winter

Post by naturallyunique 2nd December 2009, 4:56 pm

We're expecting some snow down here in Austin, TX on Friday!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But anywhoooo....

I normally do a twist n curl...but since things don't dry as quickly...I let my hair air-dry (about 95%) after washing then use a spray bottle to get it damp, then apply Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue (or w/e you use for hold) and get to twisting and curling! It's normally completely dry by the morning..depending on how many hours I sleep!

Now to survive the winter months, I'm getting some kinky twists...on monday! I'm about 5 months into transition and the air is SO dry..so my hair is dry & prone to breakage. I figure I'll just protect all my hair w/ some kinky twists & moisturize like crazy.

Hope this helps! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
naturallyunique
naturallyunique

Back to top Go down

Post by Tmochava 2nd December 2009, 11:02 pm

I put some twists in my hair (not necessarily kinky twists) but I got some Marley Afro hair, twisted my hair up with and then curled it. So this will be my protective style for the winter.
Tmochava
Tmochava

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 3rd December 2009, 5:26 am

I will be doing rod like roller sets. With some conrow flat double strand twist and curls here and there. I like the roller sets better. I have more styling options. I do not use heat. I dry overnight.

Check out the shea butters challenge thread under CAUTIOUS CURLS to see what mine looks like. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by marcysuburbs 5th December 2009, 10:59 pm

I've been doing kinky twists for a majority of my transition since they're so low-maintenance. I don't have to worry too much about gettin split ends from all the scarves and hats that i'm bout to start wearing. Just as long as I keep them moisturized & clean, my hair should make it thru the winter just fine. Then once spring hits (well once may hits, lol) it's time for my BC [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
marcysuburbs
marcysuburbs

http://meentirely.onsugar.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by styleandgrace 6th December 2009, 8:09 pm

I plan on alternating between braids (cornrows) and sewn-ins. I find that these styles help my hair grow quicker too (from past experience).
styleandgrace
styleandgrace

http://birthdayalamode.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jcokes 6th December 2009, 8:22 pm

I plan on wearing braidouts 100% of the time during my entire transition the only varying style will be whether I wear it up or down.. Braidouts will be my staple style during my enitre transition.
jcokes
jcokes

http://www.coilyheadchick.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thatmochagirl 7th December 2009, 12:53 pm

I wear my hair in twist styles, or mostly in a bun. I don't like to wear my hair out in winter as much as I do in summer. Flexi Rods are my favorite hair tools for transitioning, especially in winter! Keep those ends mended and secure!
thatmochagirl
thatmochagirl

Back to top Go down

Post by ytiznatural 8th December 2009, 11:58 pm

So far I have been wearing braidouts also, and if weather permits i will continue, I have found out that homemade flaxseed is a good gel to keep a style like braidouts from becoming frizzy, and I also use Fructise mousse for a lil hold, both of these are excellent, the only thing I hate about the homemade flaxseed gel is the consistancy, other than that, I like that better than the mousse.
ytiznatural
ytiznatural

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down