CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BC in the Winter???

+9
lovesunshine17
Moni
loveself247
Blackbeauty
FierceNerd
Intelligentbeauty
veggiegirl314
splitsun
MissSimone
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BC in the Winter??? Empty BC in the Winter???

Post by MissSimone 31st October 2009, 12:39 am

Hey fellow Curly Nikki readers,

I am currently transitioning. My last perm was December 2008. I want to BC this January 2010, making my transition a little over a year. I live in the NYC and it gets brutally cold up here during the winter. Right now I have twists in to hide my hair until I'm ready to BC. What do you guys think about BC'ing in the winter? Any winter BC'ers? Having to deal with the cold etc, etc? Any good styling ideas? Products for the winter?

THANKSS
MissSimone
MissSimone

Back to top Go down

BC in the Winter??? Empty Re: BC in the Winter???

Post by splitsun 31st October 2009, 7:40 am

Hey Simone, I also live in NYC and considering the big chop in January. I am a recent transitioner, my last relaxer being sometime in July. I am not keen on coping with two textures and altho I don't fancy a short hair look (had one before and didn't like it), I want to experience the transition from natural short to long hair.

I am unable to aid you with styling ideas and winter products but I say go for it and keep warm. I think I'll wear a lot of headgear if i go through with the chop during winter.
splitsun
splitsun

Back to top Go down

Post by veggiegirl314 1st November 2009, 1:44 am

I did my BC in the winter (January). I don't think St. Louis winters are as harsh as NYC winters, but it gets pretty cold here -- we had a few days last winter where we dropped below zero.

If you really want to BC in the winter, go for it. Just make sure you stay on top of deep conditioning and moisturizing.
veggiegirl314
veggiegirl314

http://www.twitter.com/veggiegirl314

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 1st November 2009, 2:47 am

I live in New Jersy, so I can relate to the harsh winters we do experience. I am also a transitioner, last perm March 2009. I plan to BC (on my birthday) in the summer (June). I think it will be easier than in the winter. More humidity and moisture in the air. And more fun to wash and go. I am so looking forward to the wash-n-gos...LOL [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by FierceNerd 2nd November 2009, 4:10 pm

So glad to see others that will be doing their BC in Jan! I am also a transitioner and will be doing my BC in Jan and although the winters in ATL are nothing compared to NYC it can still get pretty cold. I will be doing deep conditoners with heat as well as staying on top of my moisturizing and sealing. Hope This Helps and Good Luck!
FierceNerd
FierceNerd

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSimone 7th November 2009, 1:51 am

to all you ladies who plan to BC in the winter what styles will you be doing after you chop?? twist outs, etc...
MissSimone
MissSimone

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbeauty 10th November 2009, 2:50 am

I Bc'd for my birthday last month, so I have a teeny weeny afro for the winter. I was a bit hesitant to big chop in the cold season but I couldnt wait any longer. So far it's good & im learning alot about my hair. Afroveda products for me are very moisturizing and usually I do wash n gos but as of tonight im trying something different with twisties.
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 10th November 2009, 2:54 am

@Blackbeauty,,,,you TWA is adorable!
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbeauty 10th November 2009, 2:54 am

Thankyou!!!
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 10th November 2009, 4:04 pm

I BCed in February 2008. I live in Michigan, so I know all about caring for natural hair in harsh winter weather. After I BCed, I would cowash my hair at night. I'd moisturize in sections with qhemet products then seal with coconut oil, then twist my hair. In the morning, I'd just untwist my hair and go. I liked this method because it kept my hair really moisturized without having to wet it in the morning.

If I wanted to do a wash and go, I'd cowash the night before, then baggy overnight. This kept my hair moist but not soaking wet. By the time I was ready to go my hair was usually dry enough to face the cold.

Qhemet products and coconut oil were my staples that winter (and still are)! I really like giovanni direct leave in, though I can't remember if I used it when i had a twa.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSimone 12th November 2009, 3:18 am

@Moni What is the baggy method?

Does anyone baggy? Details, details??
MissSimone
MissSimone

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 12th November 2009, 5:02 am

MissSimone wrote:@Moni What is the baggy method?

Does anyone baggy? Details, details??

This thread discusses it more, but it's basically applying water and/or conditioner and/or moisturizer and than applying a plastic cap or bag to help moisturize your hair. When I woke up in the morning my hair was so soft and moisturized. If you don't want to baggy overnight you can do it for a few hours when you're sitting around the house. Some people even baggy all day underneath a wig or wrap. I stopped baggying for a while, but I'm going to start again, baggying for a few hours in the evening, since it's so cold now.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 12th November 2009, 8:07 pm

I've been transitioning for a little over a year now so my hair has grown out quite a bit. I really want to chop off all the relaxed ends this weekend but... lol, I'm a little scared of what it'll look like. Every time I pick up the scissors I can hear my dad telling me when I was little to never cut my hair. >_< But its really driving me insane now because its so difficult to style with two textures. Also I tried wearing my satin cap under my hat the other day and it looked really strange.

How have you ladies perfected the head wrap under hat issue?
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by MiyaNicole 12th November 2009, 8:35 pm

I too live where the winters are harsh (Indiana), and I am waiting until the spring to BC. I've been transitioning since March '09 and plan on transitioning for at least a year. Though recently I have had that itch to go ahead and cut it, I will wait until the spring.
MiyaNicole
MiyaNicole

Back to top Go down

Post by crustaceans 23rd November 2009, 3:55 pm

I say go for it! Like others have mentioned, just be sure to maintain moisture. I big chopped in October, so I am still sporting a TWA as it gets colder. Also stray away from humectants! They actually DRY out your hair during the colder months.
crustaceans
crustaceans

http://crustaceans.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 4th December 2009, 1:01 pm

I've been transitioning for nearly 15 months and want to wait until March 2010 to BC. After my most recent co-wash I am getting annoyed by the permed ends and want to enjoy my natural texture more. I will admit the added length from my straight ends has me hesistant yet my hair has grown at a comfortable length past my ears so hopefully I won't have to rock a TWA. I have until tomorrow morning to decide if I should get it over with or wait until March.

If I do chop, I will continue to co-wash weekly and baggy more often.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 5th December 2009, 11:28 am

Hey MissSimone...cute avatar! I bcd in october as well and not to be redundant but moisture is key! I used to do wash n gos..but as soon as my hair was long enough for twist Ive let that be my staple style...Ive recently did some twist and coils..and it has really helped me retained moisture for the winter....
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSimone 7th December 2009, 1:16 pm

hey curly+kinky+fierce your hair is just that FIERCE! what products are you using this winter to help you retain moisture?
MissSimone
MissSimone

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 7th December 2009, 3:37 pm

thanks miss s! i [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, evoo, & water!!! i do like herbal essance totally twisted & hello hydration for conditioning...but my hair loves butters!!! i recently did some twist with aloe vera gel on wet hair & my hair STAYED MOISTURIZED ALL WEEK!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSimone 14th December 2009, 1:47 am

what do you ladies think of miss Jessie's curly buttercreme during the winter? i know it has some humectants but not many. does anyone of you fab ladies use this during the winter to define your curls? i always wanted to try miss jessies when I BC'ed and seeing as i'm doing the Big Chop next month I wondered if I could use her products?
MissSimone
MissSimone

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 14th December 2009, 2:27 am

MissSimone wrote:what do you ladies think of miss Jessie's curly buttercreme during the winter? i know it has some humectants but not many. does anyone of you fab ladies use this during the winter to define your curls? i always wanted to try miss jessies when I BC'ed and seeing as i'm doing the Big Chop next month I wondered if I could use her products?

I can't really comment on Miss Jessie's products because the only one I used was the curly pudding and I HATED it. It seems like people either love or hate MJ products, either because they don't work at all or they work but they find much cheaper alternative products. Also, MJ products seemed to be waaaaay more geared towards styling, rather than moisturizing, which may not be your best bet in the winter. Finally, MJ products are full of questionable ingredients such as mineral oil and lanolin, which many naturals try to avoid. Not all heads are created alike, so while many people find that their hair suffers with those kind of ingredients, your hair may thrive.

If you want to use MJ products, I suggest you try the sample sizes, because $50 is a lot of money to spend on a product you may or may not like. Also, I recommend investigating cheaper alternatives such as Kinky Curly Knot Today or Hairveda Whipped Gelly or even regular old gel. The reality is that almost any product can define your curls if used correctly. Some people don't use anything but conditioner. The unacknowledged secret of the natural world is that if you need some fancy overpriced product to define your curls, there probably weren't any to define in the first place! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by MissSimone 14th December 2009, 2:52 am

@ Moni great advice!!! thanks for responding so quickly. i'll probably try some other products!
MissSimone
MissSimone

Back to top Go down

Post by Moni 14th December 2009, 3:23 am

Here's a link to a Miss Jessie's thread that gives you the good, the bad and the ugly. Also, I'd recommend having some basics like a co-wash conditioner, leave in, coconut oil or shea butter, and aloe vera gel or some other gel type product when you BC. Once you know your hair a little better (is it thick? thin? kinky? curly?), it should be easier to figure out what works for you. You can also get samples from some of the lines that get rave reviews such as Karens Body Beautiful, Qhemet Biologics, Oyin Handmade, Kinky Curly, Darcy's Botanicals, etc. I'm also a member of both nappturality and naturally curly and both forums have great product reviews from women with a variety of hair types and textures.
Moni
Moni

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 14th December 2009, 3:34 am

ive never used miss jessie...my stylist did though when i first did my bc..i do agree with moni about it all...i love kbb and qhemet so i would def check them first! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by lovesunshine17 14th December 2009, 3:45 am

I BC'ed yesterday! Smile
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lovesunshine17
lovesunshine17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next