CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

full sew in for the winter

5 posters

Go down

full sew in for the winter Empty full sew in for the winter

Post by DerbyDiva 6th October 2010, 6:08 am

I bc'ed a couple of weeks ago and i currently rock a wng, but now that its getting cold i want to put my hair up to be protected from cold/dryness/manipulation. Im thinking a curly full sew in (all of my hair in) until the end of the year, or as long as i can leave it in, lol. Ive had sew ins before but i have a hard time with leaving my hair up, so ive never experienced what happens when i leave any style in for more than a week or two (sad i know lol). I know all the basic rules; take care of my hair underneath, make sure its not too tight, protect the edges etc. but im still a little wary. i usually experience a lot of "shedding" confused when i take down any style thats been in for a while (braids, braidouts, wng's that havent been detangled daily). this happens with either my natural hair or relaxed, so idk if this is just something that will just happen regardless or if its preventable. i plan on conditioning the HELL outta my hair and doing a protein treatment prior to putting it up, but i guess im just concerned.

also, idk how this curly look will turn out with it all in. anytime ive had a sew in before some of my hair was left out and straightened to blend with the weave since ive mostly had straight weaves. im confident in the stylist im choosing but just wondering if yall have any suggestions for curl types, brands and/or methods of installation to pull this off to look as natural as possible.

if i could just wear a bonnett/beanie or scarf i would but apparently my job has a problem with it Rolling Eyes
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

http://www.twitter.com/Venus_Arising

Back to top Go down

full sew in for the winter Empty Re: full sew in for the winter

Post by BlakButterfli 6th October 2010, 5:33 pm

Derby,

I've been wearing weave for the past two months. I left the first one up for about 5 weeks and I am planning on leaving the current one I have in until the end of the month.

All of my hair has been hidden in both instances. The first time, I got a quick weave, but the tracks were glued to a wig cap and not to my actual hair. My stylist used a product called Gro Protect Solutions - the tracks just rinse out with warm water. My curly hair that I have now is a regular sew-in with none of my hair out - it can be done!

You will experience shedding. I can't remember the last time I had a weave when I was relaxed, but any style I've had being natural, if it's in for awhile, I experience a lot of shedding - unless someone says otherwise, I think this is just a part of keeping your hair hidden for so long. I always do a DC before I hide my hair with weave and I always do a DC (probably a henna this time around) when I take it down.

I have pics below of both styles - I hope this helps!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 8th October 2010, 1:46 am

ok cool thanks blakbutterfli, i thought maybe it was breakage instead of natural shedding from the scalp. im still not sure, cuz when i say a lot of shedding i mean a LOT! like the size of my hand. and i dont have dainty, tiny hands! i plan on deep conditioning the heck outta my hair and creating some sort of spray concoction to spray on my hair between each track nightly (hopefully) so that my hair stays mosturized. i think that may help a lot with the shedding, but we shall see! thanks hun!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by rubylouisedesigns 15th October 2010, 12:47 am

Hi @DerbyDiva ....
I like Milky Way's curly/straight hair (Bohemian is the type). It comes slighty wavy but when you wet it it curls really nice Cool and for those days you want to straighten it you can use a flat iron. I left mine in for a month and a half (I learned via youtube to do a self sew in) that way I can check on my hair more frequently rather than waiting so long.
Here is a pic of my Milky Way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What I have been doing as a cheap alternative is using half wigs/full wigs but cutting out the annoying combs and then sewing it to my hair braided underneath... that way i can remove it weekly wash, deep treat, braid to see progress of hair then sew the wig back on...lol crazy yes but after years of not paying attn to my hais this is my happy balance queen
(half wig sewn in pic)

rubylouisedesigns
rubylouisedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by DerbyDiva 15th October 2010, 2:46 am

rubylouisedesigns wrote:Hi @DerbyDiva ....
I like Milky Way's curly/straight hair (Bohemian is the type). It comes slighty wavy but when you wet it it curls really nice Cool and for those days you want to straighten it you can use a flat iron. I left mine in for a month and a half (I learned via youtube to do a self sew in) that way I can check on my hair more frequently rather than waiting so long.
Here is a pic of my Milky Way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What I have been doing as a cheap alternative is using half wigs/full wigs but cutting out the annoying combs and then sewing it to my hair braided underneath... that way i can remove it weekly wash, deep treat, braid to see progress of hair then sew the wig back on...lol crazy yes but after years of not paying attn to my hais this is my happy balance queen
(half wig sewn in pic)

thanks for the info and pics! i actually bought hair already that looks just like your first pic but its not a wet & wavy so that confirms for me that i made a good pick!
DerbyDiva
DerbyDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 15th October 2010, 12:45 pm

@rubylouisedesigns: Oooh very pretty hair! I may just pick this up. I'm doing a sew in for a protective style for the winter as well.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by MzLaLaRochelle 15th October 2010, 3:06 pm

Rubylouisedesigns I LOVE THAT TECHNIQUE! I've never heard of that half wig idea && I think it's genius! I, too, am looking for a full sew in, but was scared because the last time I got a weave, I kept it in for 3 weeks & took it out! I missed my natural hair so much!
MzLaLaRochelle
MzLaLaRochelle

http://public.fotki.com/MzLaLaRochelle/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th October 2010, 3:25 pm

how do u get a sew in on really short hair that is a twa???

Back to top Go down

Post by rubylouisedesigns 15th October 2010, 4:01 pm

jlowman1 wrote:@rubylouisedesigns: Oooh very pretty hair! I may just pick this up. I'm doing a sew in for a protective style for the winter as well.

Thanks...let me know how it turns out Smile

MzLaLaRochelle wrote:Rubylouisedesigns I LOVE THAT TECHNIQUE! I've never heard of that half wig idea && I think it's genius! I, too, am looking for a full sew in, but was scared because the last time I got a weave, I kept it in for 3 weeks & took it out! I missed my natural hair so much!

After watching toooonnnnns of videos I had to find something that works for me. And even though I have mastered selfweaving..lol Shocked I actually like the half wig idea too cheers that way its not sewn in too tight and i can alway re-attach....lmao (sounded better in my head)

Indidiiamond wrote:how do u get a sew in on really short hair that is a twa???

Hi Indidiiamond depending on how teenie your twa is you might want to add hair to your cornrows so that your twa will hold the braided style that is under the sew in. Also when/if you decided to do a sew in there are different ways/patterns (other than the conventional front to back and circular) to braid the cornrows so that you can have options with the look of the sew in rather than the circular thing that many have at the crown of their sew-in.... tongue

Glad I can help ladies ....let me know if you have any other questions afro
rubylouisedesigns
rubylouisedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 15th October 2010, 6:59 pm

(half wig sewn in pic)

Ruby, I've tried the Milky Way Wet/Wavy and found it tangled really easily. After I wet it, it was very hard to straighten again, but I do enjoy the versatility of it and it was fairly inexpesnive hair.

Was your version of it literally called Bohemian? I think the one I had was Indian Curl or Deep Wave - something like that.

I feel badly - I just ordered some Darcy's Botanicals products to use on my hair since I'm taking my sew-in out at the end of the month, but my hair grew out a bit after my last weave (I use coconut oil in between the cornrows to keep my hair moisturized and my stinky Wild Growth Oil to promote growth) and I want to keep it growing. Smile
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by rubylouisedesigns 15th October 2010, 7:29 pm

BlakButterfli wrote:
Here is a pic of my Milky Way

(half wig sewn in pic)

Ruby, I've tried the Milky Way Wet/Wavy and found it tangled really easily. After I wet it, it was very hard to straighten again, but I do enjoy the versatility of it and it was fairly inexpesnive hair.

Was your version of it literally called Bohemian? I think the one I had was Indian Curl or Deep Wave - something like that.

I feel badly - I just ordered some Darcy's Botanicals products to use on my hair since I'm taking my sew-in out at the end of the month, but my hair grew out a bit after my last weave (I use coconut oil in between the cornrows to keep my hair moisturized and my stinky Wild Growth Oil to promote growth) and I want to keep it growing. Smile

I just looked it up...the one I had was the Milky Way Indian Brazilian curl. It didn't tangle like the others did at all. I literally washed it or sprayed it and the curls snapped right back (& I used a hair net at nights)....

I applaud all that have a strict regimen...lol I use evoo, water, and tresemee conditioner mix and thats it....lolol apart from IC gel for twist outs etc... I learned that the less paranoid I became with my hair the faster it grew. Plus my hair is weird I've tried soooo many products that came highly recommended but to no success... lol

I've learned to cut down on the amount of products I use and my hair responds waaayyyy better Smile

Don't feel bad..its hair and we all have to experiment to find what works....I look at it like whats the worst that can happen...lol if it turns out bad I can BC or sew-in till it grows back...lol
rubylouisedesigns
rubylouisedesigns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down