CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humectants In The Winter

+7
Niqui36
Fleur
Lynnieluve
krazy coils
MsJay1121
fanmnatirel
Born2BeMe
11 posters

Go down

Humectants In The Winter Empty Humectants In The Winter

Post by Born2BeMe 27th January 2011, 10:33 pm

Humectants are supposed to be bad in the winter. Apparently they have a sort of diffusion like effect (pull substances from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration). So they pull moisture from your hair into the dry winter air since the hair is more moist than the air.

Well I just want to say, that I have not experienced this problem. I used Oyin Handmade's new lightweight daily moisturizer/leave-in product, Hair Dew, and sealed it with their Burnt Sugar Pomade. Now the burnt sugar pomade is specifically called "protective humectant hair dressing" by Oyin.

My hair is more moisturized than ever! That humectant pomade seemed to seal extremely well and it provides awesome shine.

Mini Oyin Hair Dew Review:
It's Fantastic!
That hair dew made my hair more slippery than a slip-n-slide so I detangled with it. It was an absolute dream. The comb glided right though my hair. I could not believe it especially since I have 4b hair which I think is more prone to tangles than some other hair types. The hair dew is so lightweight. You would never think that it would work wonders. It contains a product called BTMS (behentrimonium methosulfate), which is known to have great slip. I read an article on the CurlyNikki main page about it. I've noticed a few products that contain it that also have pretty good slip. This is a must buy for anyone having difficulty detangling. Let me warn you in advance about the smell...it's like someone dropped a bucket of caramel on your head (smells just like the burnt sugar since burnt sugar is essentially caramel). I really and truly hate the smell but the results of using the product are too good to make me stop using it or give it any less than five stars.
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Humectants In The Winter Empty Re: Humectants In The Winter

Post by fanmnatirel 27th January 2011, 11:15 pm

(i'm probably going to be completely wrong but....)
I have heard that if mixed with water then it will not be pulling moisture out of your hair....

fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by Born2BeMe 27th January 2011, 11:59 pm

I don't really know either but just thinking of what a humectant is supposed to do. I would think the humectant product would still do it's "moisture transfer" business because that is essentially why it's called a humectant.

Any scientists or experts on this topic that can enlighten us?
Born2BeMe
Born2BeMe

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 28th January 2011, 12:33 am

i'll be following closely....
Thanks for bringing this up chica...
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by MsJay1121 28th January 2011, 2:36 am

I use humectants in the winter too, just differently....

I apply whatever product has the humectant in it before jumping in the shower...that way, my hair absorbs the steam. Then I seal that in with a cream based product! Soft hair every time!
MsJay1121
MsJay1121

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 28th January 2011, 8:57 am

I also use humectants in the winter and I haven't experienced any problems. I tried to use products without humectants and my hair actually felt dry and brittle so I now use products with glycerin and I add honey to some of my conditioners. I just think that everyone's hair is different and that what works for one won't always work for everybody.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 28th January 2011, 10:56 am

I use humectants in winter too. I haven't experience any dryness but I must add I live in MS. The weather is so crazy here (60s one day and sleet and rain the next) and some days it still gets humid outside so.....I'm gonna enjoy the weather this weekend. It's gonna be in the upper 60s! sunny
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur 28th January 2011, 11:35 am

I use them as well. Today the high in San Antonio will be in the 70's. Shocked
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by Niqui36 28th January 2011, 11:55 am

Wow! I'm jealous of you all with 60 and 70 degree weather. lol!!! Where I am in Michigan, the high for today is 28 degrees. Sad
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Post by bpjedi 28th January 2011, 1:34 pm

I use them the same exact way as CurlieCutes1121, it is has worked well for me during the winter and in generally dry climates.
bpjedi
bpjedi

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 29th January 2011, 1:10 pm

As soon as it hit 40 here in Atlanta I had to stop using products high in glycerin. I'm looking forward to 60 degree weather again.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by blknwhtbeauty 29th January 2011, 5:00 pm

I'm in Michigan and have not noticed any difference in my hair since it became cold. I still use products with glycerin and I also add honey to my deep conditioner. I guess I'll find out the real deal when summer roles around as this will be my first summer natural Very Happy
blknwhtbeauty
blknwhtbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by komirra 29th January 2011, 10:06 pm

i was avoiding them at first, but then my hair started feeling dryer. so now i still use them, but mixed with other products like shea butter. and they work just fine. i feel alot of softness.
komirra
komirra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down