CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henna and Transitioning

+11
mimigirljoy
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
HAMPTONSFNST
danijohnturner
DivinelyDesigned
loveself247
AshSCState08
simara0507
transitionedgal
jlowman1
jcokes
15 posters

Go down

Henna and Transitioning Empty Henna and Transitioning

Post by jcokes 1st December 2009, 10:50 pm

Hi, I decided to transition and I want to try a Henna treatment especially after reading so many great reviews but.... I'm a little scared. I'm currently 4 weeks post so I'm very early in my transition. Has anyone tried Henna on relaxed hair? if so what were your results?
jcokes
jcokes

http://www.coilyheadchick.com

Back to top Go down

Henna and Transitioning Empty Re: Henna and Transitioning

Post by jlowman1 2nd December 2009, 7:16 pm

I am in transition as well and hennaed about a week ago. It did not effect my relaxed ends at all. Just make sure you use a BAQ henna. I used Jamila 2009.

After henna-ing, my hair was much shinier and didnt shed as much. It was much much much easier to detangle as well. I'll be doing these treatments at least once a month from now on.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by jcokes 2nd December 2009, 8:18 pm

jlowman1, thank you so much for responding. I also have a semi permanent black color on my hair. Do you think it will be safe as well?
jcokes
jcokes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlowman1 2nd December 2009, 10:51 pm

Your welcome... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It shouldnt affect it. I had a permanent blonde/brownish color on my hair and it didnt do any damage. It just turned my hair a reddish color.

Since your hair is black, it should only give your hair a tint of red that can be seen when you are in the sun.
jlowman1
jlowman1

Back to top Go down

Post by jcokes 3rd December 2009, 12:16 am

jlowman1 thanks again! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
jcokes
jcokes

Back to top Go down

Henna and Transitioning Empty henna and transitioning hair

Post by transitionedgal 6th December 2009, 3:09 am

Hi,
I used henna on my then mostly relaxed hair last year and it doesn't cause anything bad to happen but I did a henna gloss where I used conditioner with the henna. I used the henna 2 weeks after I got my touch-up. I looked up recipes for henna glosses and was still scared to try it but then one day I just did it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I used henna for african hair from mehandi.com. I used red zinger tea that was previously boiled to help release the dye in the henna. I let it sit over night in a warm place after stirring. I probably let it sit for like 10-12 hours. then I added V05 strawberry and cream condish and lurtrasilk sheabutter mango choloesterol condish I think. The gloss gave me body and great color to my hair.

I only ran into problems when I used too many protein containing products quickly afterwards since I didn't know better. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I would do a henna gloss first since you are just starting on your transitioning journey. Then when you have more growth or feel you do, try henna without the "gloss". Then make sure to really deep condition after you do the henna gloss.

I haven't used henna since last year but I will be using it in the new year. I am also transitioning as well. (I am 12 months and 3 weeks post relaxer. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) I didn't want to use henna either out of fear it would cause problems "again". However, I know now what went wrong last year.

Hope this wasn't too long and helps. and you are in the right community to learn about henna, let me tell you. I have learned a lot from the ladies on this site.
good luck.
transitionedgal
transitionedgal

Back to top Go down

Post by simara0507 6th December 2009, 11:33 am

jcokes wrote:Hi, I decided to transition and I want to try a Henna treatment especially after reading so many great reviews but.... I'm a little scared. I'm currently 4 weeks post so I'm very early in my transition. Has anyone tried Henna on relaxed hair? if so what were your results?

I am transitioning too (~13 wks post) and I really want to try henna. I'm scared as well though, and just like you, many of the reviews that I have read have been great. Subscribing to this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
simara0507
simara0507

Back to top Go down

Post by jcokes 6th December 2009, 6:12 pm

Thanks Ladies, I think I'm gonna try glosses first!
jcokes
jcokes

Back to top Go down

Post by AshSCState08 7th December 2009, 11:31 pm

Where can I buy the Henna?
AshSCState08
AshSCState08

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 7th December 2009, 11:35 pm

@jeveryone....Ladies "DO YOUR HOMEWORK" I am transitioning to and I will not be using Henna anytime soon. I encourage you to do your OWN research on Henna and make sure you have a CLEAR understanding of what it is and what it does.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by DivinelyDesigned 8th December 2009, 1:53 am

jcokes, personally I don't think there's anything wrong with doing henna while you are transitioning. I plan on doing it myself at my 6 month transitioning anniversery next month. The only reason I'm waiting is because I wanted to have a solid hair regimine/routine down 1st. Good luck and I will let you know how mine turn out.
DivinelyDesigned
DivinelyDesigned

Back to top Go down

Post by danijohnturner 8th December 2009, 2:22 am

@jcokes...I am new to transitioning as well. I have heard so many great things about Henna. I too want to try it but I am scared as u know what. If you try please let me know the results.
danijohnturner
danijohnturner

Back to top Go down

Post by jcokes 8th December 2009, 10:37 pm

Thanks Ladies. I ordered my Henna I have it. I'm going to do a strand test first. If I don't like the results I will freeze until a later date. I won't be doing a full Henna, I'm going to take baby steps and try the gloss first. I will let everyone know how it turns out. I think I'm going to do the gloss the week of Christmas..
jcokes
jcokes

Back to top Go down

Post by jcokes 8th December 2009, 10:41 pm

Thanks Ladies. I ordered my Henna I have it. I'm going to do a strand test first. If I don't like the results I will freeze until a later date. I won't be doing a full Henna, I'm going to take baby steps and try the gloss first. I will let everyone know how it turns out. I think I'm going to do the gloss the week of Christmas..
jcokes
jcokes

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 23rd December 2009, 1:40 pm

For those of you that are apprehensive about using Henna, you should go to HennaforHair.com or check out NaturallyCurly.com There is a thread that includes CurlyNikki's inital experiences with the natural plant. I learned from this thread that another option to consider is the Cassia Obovata plant. It has the same conditioning properties as Henna w/o the red tint and if your dissatisfied with the reddish color add some Indigo to achieve a darker color.

I hope to do my first Cassia treatment after Christmas.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c) 31st December 2009, 6:34 pm

I've heard of the Brahmi powder also....it's supposed to make ur hair super lustrous.... I just want shine not color so....kinda confused if I should purchase Cassia or the Brahmi powder. I saw Mohaganycurls youtube of if.....I mite IM her about it.
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)
FrizzyWaves(formerly 3c)

Back to top Go down

Post by mimigirljoy 1st March 2010, 9:01 pm

loveself247 wrote:@jeveryone....Ladies "DO YOUR HOMEWORK" I am transitioning to and I will not be using Henna anytime soon. I encourage you to do your OWN research on Henna and make sure you have a CLEAR understanding of what it is and what it does.

@loveself247,
I was just wondering....Whay are the reasons that you will not be using Henna? because I was thinking about it, but I want to know all the details. So please let me know.....
mimigirljoy
mimigirljoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 2nd March 2010, 11:10 am

I'm transitioning and I use henna. I really like it. I like the color it gives me and I also like the strength and eventual softness that comes about from it.
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Gado-Gado Gal 3rd March 2010, 6:47 pm

@jcokes, how did the henna turn out? I'm 'dyeing' to know! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gado-Gado Gal
Gado-Gado Gal

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRYL1 3rd March 2010, 9:44 pm

I'm transitioning and I used henna...I love it. Actually, it's helped the two textures on my head more manageable.

My avatar is my henna'd hair after the 3rd time (I've only done it three times...I'll do again in a couple weeks.)

I'd say as long as you use a mix that works for you and be sure to deep condition afterwards, all should be well.
TheRYL1
TheRYL1

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 4th March 2010, 11:24 am

I have had my henna for quite some time now and am transitioning also. I have the henna for hair e-book, and like everything else I do have researched the hell out of it and think this will be a great addition to my routine!!!I just havent had the time to do it and that is my only reason for not hennaing yet. I am 7 months into my transition..Im about to do some braids til the weather breaks and then Ill do it after that protective style...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down