CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detangling very, very, VERY small spiral curls

+6
letha
naturalesque
Madeaj
1FlySista
Lynnieluve
LCnewjourney
10 posters

Go down

Detangling very, very, VERY small spiral curls Empty Detangling very, very, VERY small spiral curls

Post by LCnewjourney 13th December 2010, 12:52 pm

Hi everyone,

So I've been transitioning for 7 months and my natural hair is pretty much small/medium spirals everywhere. Some spirals are so small that it looks like I did a straw set with coffee stirrers!

I went to get my hair trimmed (by a "natural stylist" who combed my hair dry...) and she told me that it was almost like my hair was trying to lock! Wasn't too thrilled about that because that's not what I'm going for.

My question is, how do I detangle my hair to make sure I'm getting all the shed hair out when the curls are so small? I've noticed that for the past few months, some shed hair has trapped around the relaxed hair and formed knots and it is a big pain. If I'm using a wide tooth comb to detangle, I'm not getting to each curl really, so it's possible some shed hair will remain, right? Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do?

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Detangling very, very, VERY small spiral curls Empty Re: Detangling very, very, VERY small spiral curls

Post by Lynnieluve 13th December 2010, 1:03 pm

My suggestion is to detangle your hair in sections loaded with conditioner. I usually section my hair in 4 sections (2 in the front, 2 in the back).

I use a wide tooth comb to detangle but I also use a denman brush. You dont have use a denman. A paddle brush works just as well.

I hope this helps.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Detangling very, very, VERY small spiral curls Empty Re: Detangling very, very, VERY small spiral curls

Post by 1FlySista 13th December 2010, 1:07 pm

Hmmm? Perhaps after going through your hair with a wide-toothed comb, try using a modified Denman brush to fully detangle and remove trapped shed hairs.

Check out this video on how to modify a Denman brush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVBoVPRo_4
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj 13th December 2010, 1:23 pm

My hair is full of tight different sized coils too and zigzags. To detangle, I put a lot of nice slippery inexpensive conditioner on my dry hair. I really slather it on, my hair is satuarated with the conditioner. I use about 3 to 4 oz of conditioner mixed well with about 1 teaspoons of jojoba oil. I start by using my fingers to detangle and then I move to the big shower comb and my modified goody brush. It looks like a denman but it costs less.

Then I put the hair in about 6 big fat twists to wash. I wash each twist individually, twist it back up and put some more conditioner in. Finish my shower and rinse with warm, slightly cool water. I don't do cold water, can't stand it. But I've got good results from the comfortable cool water.

I wrap my head in a tshirt to dry and then style.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalesque 14th December 2010, 12:21 am

I second the comb followed by a denman brush. Also use more oils after applying your leave-in. It will act as lubrication and allow the shed hair to slide out more easily.
naturalesque
naturalesque

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 14th December 2010, 2:04 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions! I should have mentioned that I do detangle in sections--I suppose I'd be much worse off if I didn't!

So it sounds like the denman or some form of a brush is the way to go...I've been terrified of this since I'm transitioning, but I'm probably losing more hair trying to take out knots anyway, so I can try that out.

I'm going to also see about including an oil rinse when I'm rinsing out my conditioner to see if that will help. My transition would be SO much easier if it weren't for these tangles...

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 14th December 2010, 3:42 pm

Hey I have the same coils as you and I put loads of conditioner on my hair esp that NG and I detangle in sections also.. The oil rinse I made a mistake and put too much in a certain area. I use tons of conditioner I think a 16 oz bottle last me 2 co-washes.. This usually helps for me I also use the denman brush also.. When I style my hair in a ponytail and want to slick my edges back I never do that dry I always spritz with water or moisture mix and slick my hair back like that to make a ponytail..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 14th December 2010, 6:37 pm

i think i might have posted something similar to this a while back? or if I didnt , I specifically remember telling my cousin that the coils in the back of my head look like I got a straw set with coffee stirrers!:-)

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 14th December 2010, 9:06 pm

Hey OP. Speaking as one with teeny coils. Exhibit A
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are a few videos on detangling. Any of these work for me. I suggest watching them and finding the one that works best for you

This is a really good video on detangling 4b/4c hair. I think it would work with anybody who suffers with detangling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDEaqATfk70

Another video on detangling 4b hair, and again I think this would work for anybody having trouble with detangling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYx3ETNc1iY

Another 4b detangling vid (this time featuring an adult ) Same thing- finger part, condish, wide tooth comb. This is pretty much exactly how I detangle (my hair is really similar to hers too). Sometimes if I need to I'll use a medium tooth comb after using the wide tooth comb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi9oCHNNzjI

This is detangling using the tangle teezer. I saw this recently in Sally's for $10. It's excellent for intense detangling sessions and is the best thing I've used for getting shed hair. I used it pretty much exactly like the lady in the video- small sections and lots of conditioner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpG1esRtrtc
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 14th December 2010, 11:20 pm

Also I forgot to mention that Darcy Botanical Transitioning Cream has really helped with my detangling process also..
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by Napstrong 19th December 2010, 8:36 am

Adding olive oil to my hair after my conditioner has really helped the detangling process of my tight coils. I'm still trying to figure out the denman brush.hmm.
Napstrong
Napstrong

Back to top Go down

Post by LCnewjourney 19th December 2010, 7:42 pm

Thanks everyone, again! Ekaette, thanks so much for the videos--I'm trying the one that's similar to what you said you do where you prepoo beforehand. My detangling process went smoothly today, but I never really know until I'm ready to style. That's when I usually find the knots. I'm beginning to wonder if my conditioner is knotting my relaxed ends at the demarcation line. I've tried detangling before and after washing, and each time I've gotten the same knotted results...

Everything will be all good and it feels like I have no knots, but once I rinse out my deep conditioner (Keracare Humecto) and start styling, it's knot central...maybe it's my conditioner!

LCnewjourney

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 20th December 2010, 3:11 am

Maybe my hair is weird but my shed hair doesn't really come out with a comb or brush. It comes out mostly when I gently pull on the ends of my hair while finger detangling. I basically just pinch them out using both hands and they come right out
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down