CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are naturals being too sensitive?

+7
drmsd
Ambitious_Tiff
poeticlyspkng
misskris
mstokes2008
creolebeauty1
LaToya28
11 posters

Go down

Are naturals being too sensitive? Empty Are naturals being too sensitive?

Post by LaToya28 7th December 2010, 12:51 pm

So we've all seen the drama surrounding Nikki Minaj's lyrics "Nappy headed h--s need a perminator." If not, do a search on Youtube and you'll definitely find several videos addressing the issue. How do you ladies feel about this? Yes the lyrics are insensitive, as are the majority of rap lyrics, however are we being way too sensitive about our hair when we're allowing someone like Nicki Minaj to ruffle our feathers??

Last edited by LaToya28 on 7th December 2010, 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Are naturals being too sensitive? Empty Re: Are naturals being too sensitive?

Post by creolebeauty1 7th December 2010, 12:57 pm

I don't think so i think not only naturals should be offended even people with perms should be because her comment was degrading to them to she wasn't saying it in a nice manner or positive light it was meant to offend people but anyways i never cared much for her and this nappy headed chic will bootleg her cd lol ...
Honestly i feel WHY was it a big deal when Imus called those ladies nappy headed hoes but when she says it it shouldn't be relevant she is more relevent to black culture than hell i didn't even kno who he was until he said that comment same goes for that white rapper . If black people wouldnt allow 2 white men that are irrelevant to black culture to say those words why should she get a free pass when i'm sure she herself is a nappy headed hoe for lack of better word
creolebeauty1
creolebeauty1

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th December 2010, 1:34 pm

I think some people are taking things to sensitive. If we bombarded and boycotted every single person that said insensitive things about us then the world would be a much quieter place. Music is music. And most people in the business especially in the rap world are merely trying to sell CDs. Most of Nickis lyrics make no sense in the first place but they're entertaining so regardless I still like her and support her. Its sometimes seems different when males talk about females in one way, Because they tend to know nothing about what they're speaking on. I know I'm nappy headed and I'm proud of that (I'm not a hoe but females and males alike are constantly degrading women like that. Its almost to the point where hoe and b*tch are as common as saying girl) even though we shouldn't say stuff like This and it sets a horrible example to the younger generation there are worse things out there setting bad examples. I'm not offnded by the song because its just that, a song. I know what I am and what I'm Not. And I understand the game they're playing in the music biz. I bought her deluxe CD and I bump it just about everyday. I like it. If I didn't buy a CD from every single artist that said something insensitive I wouldn't have much music to listen To. But that doesn't mean that I don't fully respect myself either by listening to certain types of music with certain types of lyrics. I don't feel like certain negative comments are directed at me personally so I don't get offended. Its not like its one of my friends coming in my face and calling me a nappy headed hoe. So to me its no big deal. But that's just my opinion.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 7th December 2010, 1:41 pm

I actually haven't seen the video but can imagine what it's like. People don't need to be offended by the ignorance that comes out of other peoples' mouths. We know better. Or should anyway. If you are happy with your naps, as all or most of us on here are, then it doesn't matter. Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 7th December 2010, 2:56 pm

Hmmmmm... The jury is still out for me. I'm 40 and from the time I was 17 I was protesting rap lyrics by Too Short, NWA and others. I don't think I'm too sensitive about much but I do see the world, media, artists attempts to desensitize us about certain things because they want to have their say. That is fine too but don't call me sensitive for having strong feelings about it. It is just that kind of desensitization that makes younger people think bitch and hoe are akin to saying "girl". Never to me. And calling anyone nappy headed isn't cool, no matter who's lips form them. But that's just me. It's weird but people with access to media don't see the damage until it's too late. Often it's decades later. When they're young and in the mix- they don't much care. But ask some of them who are old now what they think.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 7th December 2010, 3:02 pm

poeticlyspkng wrote:Hmmmmm... The jury is still out for me. I'm 40 and from the time I was 17 I was protesting rap lyrics by Too Short, NWA and others. I don't think I'm too sensitive about much but I do see the world, media, artists attempts to desensitize us about certain things because they want to have their say. That is fine too but don't call me sensitive for having strong feelings about it. It is just that kind of desensitization that makes younger people think bitch and hoe are akin to saying "girl". Never to me. And calling anyone nappy headed isn't cool, no matter who's lips form them. But that's just me. It's weird but people with access to media don't see the damage until it's too late. Often it's decades later. When they're young and in the mix- they don't much care. But ask some of them who are old now what they think.

I agree. Yes I am happy to be nappy but there's a fine line between art and trash. Why should I feel like I have to keep my opinion to myself when I don't appreciate what someone says ("artist" or no)? I get offended when people call me "n1gga", b1tch, h*e. All of those terms to me denote something unsavory, not ladylike, and just not me. Is it justifed b/c its prevalent and used as a term of endearment? Not for me. I mean dang, should we just let it continue until "nappy headed hoe" is synonomous with black female...? The buck has got to stop somewhere. No
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by drmsd 7th December 2010, 3:17 pm

If I don't like what I'm hearing, I don't listen unless I'm directly or indirectly paying them to care about what I think. And, as the OP said, it IS Nicki Minaj. I can't imagine taking on every ignorant comment. It's a better use of my energy to consider the source before I entertain certain comments.
drmsd
drmsd

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 7th December 2010, 3:29 pm

what if this song was to get popular and people just started calling ladies with natural hair nappy headed hoes! like it was just something normal..then you'd be offended and take it personal..but when Nicki minaji said it on her song you thought it was fine?!?!? lol makes no sense to me..

the same as the word "bitch"..that word is used in sooo many artist song and people sing it all the time..but as soon as a girl or boy directly call them a "bitch" they want to go off and start fighting and raising hell lol i never got that

I understand it is their music and they can say whatever they like but common on use your talent for something good instead of just promoting negativity more and more and more..and if we keep say "oh its just a song"..its never going to stop because artist will keep selling CDs and never change their habits so yea we SHOULD be sensitive about it because it really needs to stop..you can make good music without all that

it might not be direct to you now but honey trust soon as the song gets popular your going to hear it a lot more often..and that time it will be directed to you

rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by mstokes2008 7th December 2010, 3:37 pm

I dont think hoe or b*tch are ever appropriate to use. But there are so many people using these words like they're as common as girl or female and that's where people and media are making it to the point where younger kids are interpretting it incorrectly and use the words interchangeably. I'm not old but I'm not at that age where things influence me like that either. I get what you're saying and i can see the damage that its creating and its sad and it makes me fear for my future generation especially with videos and lyrics like Keri hilsons new song (but that's a whole other issue). there seems to be more bad examples out in the world for little kids than good ones. Which can also be chalked up to media because a lot of the times the more controversial pieces are the ones that get played and played nonstop. With how things have changed in the past years and decades, and looking down the path where things seem to be headed, its scary to think what kind of world I will be living in by the time I'm 50 or 60. Not to mention the world that my future children will Have to grow up in and the influences They will Have to face.
mstokes2008
mstokes2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 7th December 2010, 3:58 pm

Mstokes2008! Let me have your fro!! I LOVE IT!!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 7th December 2010, 5:25 pm

Dang, I had to go to a meeting before I could finish my thoughts.
@MStokes you are so on point and I wasn't picking you out. I just found what you said interesting and SO true. I remember for a while-- women I knew were calling each other and me (only once) B*tches because Missy Elliott and others in the industry were making it "cool". Like I said- with me- it only happened once. In the words of Busta Rhymes - Respect my conglomerate. LOL

I don't know. I believe in freedom of speech. It just seems for some, the freedom of speech thing doesn't go both ways. Those who say something in return are called HATERS. I HATE that. Yes, Nikki can say what she wants. Heck, she don't even sport her own hair so she gets a ??? from me. But when you are speaking poison about the hair of your OWN demographic- you now get to hear others side of that freedom!
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th December 2010, 12:50 am

NOT suprised....this isn't the only thing she's said to degrade ppl; she's just one of the many snakes in the grass~

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece 8th December 2010, 2:41 am

I think so only because Nicki Minaj is gonna do what she does and still have a fan base. People are gonna think she's hot. It is what it is, there is probably someone out there right now calling someone else all types of crude names and no one is there to defend that person.

Nicki Minaj is not my best friend so my opinions are not gonna affect her. With that said, I think everyone has the right to voice their opinion on this topic, and any other topic, but don't expect her to come out with some apology. I never understood that. I never understood why some cheating celebrity came out and apologized to his "fans" or "america" IDGAF, you weren't cheating on ME, so go fix your home.

The thing is that it's not just naturals, it's humans as a whole being offended by what some celebrity does. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. They're not doing anything for you, it's for them, and their family that they're trying to support if they have one. You can't take back words after they've been said, joke or not.
Treece
Treece

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 8th December 2010, 9:01 am

Yes naturals are being wayyyy too sensitive.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 8th December 2010, 9:42 am

I am going to sign off on what Poeticly said. And maybe I do so because I, too (38yrs) come from the time when we do represent something or someone other than just ourselves. Let me give you a for instance. When I was a teenager I never felt the need to be crazy fast with some guy because I felt that he would then think if I just smile or take her to McDonalds they will give me some..lol Laughing But that doesnt mean I never had a boyfriend or kissed some one I am just saying I thought about how many other girls or women or whatever would be affected by my actions.. U feel me?

Now a days...we just say whatever and do whatever and think "as long as I am not buying her albums or if she's not my friend who cares?.." Well like Ray says, someone will care when someone does disrespect you based on her lyrics, or speech or action.

Sometimes I do think like Emartini we are too sensitive, and lets face it this Minaj girl will get her shine(money)anyway..but mostly because I am old school, it will always send a twinge up my spine every time I hear or see someone not thinking about how they affect their fellow men...because the reverberation will be crazy, I assure you and we will be burnin then wishing we did something...
Blessings Naturals
flower
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down