CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein sensitive

+3
MissCurly
sweetdrk1
chocolate-kinks
7 posters

Go down

Protein sensitive Empty Protein sensitive

Post by chocolate-kinks 17th January 2010, 5:01 am

How does one know if their protein sensitive? I heard that when your hair feels hardish after using conditioner, it's considered to be protein sensitive. So if people claim that naturals should use condish on their hair, but what happen to people who are protein sensitive? what should they use? Also what is the regular hair routine for someone that is protein sensitive? what do they wash their hair with? I'm trying to determine if I'm protein sensitive.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Protein sensitive Empty Re: Protein sensitive

Post by sweetdrk1 19th January 2010, 4:02 pm

Hi Chocolate-kinks,

I am fairly new(almost 5 mths natural) BUT I had a run in that proved to me that my hair is protien sensitive. I used Giovanni Smooth as Silk and left it in. My twist turned into rock hard weapons. After asking for help on this forum and I read the ingrediants (I will never buy another bottle without looking for protein) I realized I was protien sensitive. My hair was like straw. I was so very upset, I was even thinking of cutting it off and starting all over again. BUT gotta love this forum!! Chrs directed me to a site that had a recipe for a honey conditioner and that did the trick.

Now I still cowash with conditioner but I read the ingrediants first. I have also learned I can use conditioners with protein, I just have to wash it out!!! I HTH
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCurly 19th January 2010, 4:03 pm

I found out that I was protein sensitive after using products with proteins and my hair felt hard and dry and was more prone to fizz very easily. Then I tried using products with no proteins at all and I noticed a difference. So thats how I came to the conclusion of being protein sensitive. Although I use henna on occasion which is supposed to be protein but I always deep condition with a protein free deep conditioner. But other than that no protein for me
MissCurly
MissCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 19th January 2010, 4:52 pm

Oh okay. Thanks ladies Smile. Well I use cantu shea butter in my hair, I'm not sure if that has protein, but it works great for my hair. I dont use lots of products on my hair so I'm unsure if I am protein sensitive. I've experimented with products, but when I use it once and I dont like it the first time, I stopped using it. Maybe if I gave them enough time I woud be able to tell.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarise 20th January 2010, 10:59 am

Well there is the quality and the strength of the protein. There are also plant based and animal based proteins. A protein that has the word hydrolyzed before it is going be stronger. I noticed that I could use a leave-in conditioner that had a few strong and weaker proteins and it left my hair anything but dry. I chalk that up to high quality ingredients and proteins being lower on the list. Though I don't use it daily anymore just so I don't overload my hair with it.

Deep conditioning as much as I can helps in counteracting any dryness or damage I can get from products not for my hair.

It was trial and error for me though I immediately could tell what proteins my hair did not like.

Be sure to check out your ingredients on your products, it takes a little work sometimes but it's worth it to check to see if there's a pattern.
Amarise
Amarise

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 20th January 2010, 1:02 pm

Amarise wrote:Well there is the quality and the strength of the protein. There are also plant based and animal based proteins. A protein that has the word hydrolyzed before it is going be stronger. I noticed that I could use a leave-in conditioner that had a few strong and weaker proteins and it left my hair anything but dry. I chalk that up to high quality ingredients and proteins being lower on the list. Though I don't use it daily anymore just so I don't overload my hair with it.

Deep conditioning as much as I can helps in counteracting any dryness or damage I can get from products not for my hair.

It was trial and error for me though I immediately could tell what proteins my hair did not like.

Be sure to check out your ingredients on your products, it takes a little work sometimes but it's worth it to check to see if there's a pattern.

Thanks so much Smile. One thing that I just remembered that is protein that doesnt agree with me is the Aphogee 2 step treatment. As soon as I applied it to my hair, it began BURNING. I'm not sure if anyonw else experienced that, but that is surely not a nice feeling. It felt almost like a perm.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 20th January 2010, 10:48 pm

yeah my hair is protein sensitive too...the relaxed part loves it, but it leaves my new growth dry and crunchy =/
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 21st January 2010, 1:59 am

iri9109 wrote:yeah my hair is protein sensitive too...the relaxed part loves it, but it leaves my new growth dry and crunchy =/

Oh man that sucks.
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by iri9109 21st January 2010, 1:02 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:Hi Chocolate-kinks,

I am fairly new(almost 5 mths natural) BUT I had a run in that proved to me that my hair is protien sensitive. I used Giovanni Smooth as Silk and left it in. My twist turned into rock hard weapons. After asking for help on this forum and I read the ingrediants (I will never buy another bottle without looking for protein) I realized I was protien sensitive. My hair was like straw. I was so very upset, I was even thinking of cutting it off and starting all over again. BUT gotta love this forum!! Chrs directed me to a site that had a recipe for a honey conditioner and that did the trick.

Now I still cowash with conditioner but I read the ingrediants first. I have also learned I can use conditioners with protein, I just have to wash it out!!! I HT
H

me too...&i DC with ORS replenishing and that has light protein and it leaves my hair sooooo soft but when i use infusium 23 = crunch city:(
iri9109
iri9109

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st January 2010, 4:27 pm

I've had my run in with protein too. I learned like Sweetdrk1 that my hair does ok with proteins as long as I dont use it as a leave in.

I pre pooed with ORS Replenishing Conditioner overnight and my hair was dry and felt like straw!! It took me about a week to get my hair back to normal.

I still use products with protein (just deep conditioned with Giovanni Smooth As Silk - my hair loved it!!) but I am very cautious with how often I use them. HTH
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by chocolate-kinks 22nd January 2010, 6:31 am

Lynnieluve wrote:I've had my run in with protein too. I learned like Sweetdrk1 that my hair does ok with proteins as long as I dont use it as a leave in.

I pre pooed with ORS Replenishing Conditioner overnight and my hair was dry and felt like straw!! It took me about a week to get my hair back to normal.

I still use products with protein (just deep conditioned with Giovanni Smooth As Silk - my hair loved it!!) but I am very cautious with how often I use them. HTH

Thx [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
chocolate-kinks
chocolate-kinks

Back to top Go down

Post by pfarley 22nd January 2010, 3:30 pm

I found out that I was protein sensitive when I used Motions CPR Conditioner Protein Reconstructor. My hair got so stiff and hard (what happens when you're protein sensitive). I washed that bad boy out like a perm left in too long!

I co-wash my hair every other day using a mixture of Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner and EVOO. I also use GVP Matrix Conditioning Balm and Pantene Relaxed and Natural Conditioner (just kinda depends on whatever I grab first, but TJ's and EVOO is my HG). I seal with Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I use the Curly Girl Method and leave condish in my hair at all times. I also deep condition once a week.

Here is an amazing article that might help you:
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/10/curl-whisperer-on-protein-treatments.html
pfarley
pfarley

http://www.allthingscouponing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down