CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff.

+7
misskris
ElenaMaylee
EMarie
naturallynola
dajewel
LittleOne
ebonediva
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff. - Page 2 Empty Re: Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff.

Post by naturallynola 1st December 2010, 10:00 pm

The salicylic acid is the active ingredient effective for acne and dandruff relief. Alot of people will crush the asprin and put it in their shampoo.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff. - Page 2 Empty Re: Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff.

Post by EMarie 1st December 2010, 11:16 pm

Yeah thats what I used to do but it makes the shampoo smell kinda gross so we started making a paste with it instead!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 2nd December 2010, 2:46 am

I have eczema too and also on my scalp. If you have any hair products with perfume you may want to get rid of them. Also its important that you grease your scalp every 2-3 days because eczema is really just extremely dry skin. A nice thick oil for your scalp will be fine. One thing I have been doing and its been doing wonders for me is an ACV rinse once a week on my hair and scalp. I've noticed since I've been doing the rinse and keeping my scalp oiled there has been less itch and dryness. Just recently I had ran out of ACV and my scalp started itching again so I had to run to Trader Joe's and buy some more Sad

You may also want to go see a dermatologist and discuss this problem with him or her because prescribed medication for this issue is way better than over the counter.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 2nd December 2010, 9:11 am

See EMartini you just want me to go in Trader Joe's and buy stuff!! LOLOL

No seriously, that's a good point because I did use ACV last year and come to think of it I had less dry scalp!

I swear by Kera Care Dry and Itchy Scalp grease and dont have any more so that could be part of it....but my skin is sensitive to weather change so I expect this at least 2 times a year!!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 9:52 am

Aspirin in the hair huh?? yeah, that's a new one for me too. AND the pimples!! Even at 33 I am still getting those durn little things!!! Mad
I may have to try this ACV rinse too. I saw a big behind bottle at the store yesterday and started to get it but I was like nah...but it was only like $3.49 or so and it was maybe like 32oz. I may still try. But I do still have some in the cabinet. How much do you use when doing an ACV rinse? And do you dilute it with anything??
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 2nd December 2010, 11:48 am

EMarie wrote:See EMartini you just want me to go in Trader Joe's and buy stuff!! LOLOL

No seriously, that's a good point because I did use ACV last year and come to think of it I had less dry scalp!

I swear by Kera Care Dry and Itchy Scalp grease and dont have any more so that could be part of it....but my skin is sensitive to weather change so I expect this at least 2 times a year!!

LOL @ going to Trader Joe's.

I'm glad you found something that works for your scalp. I've always suffered from this issue since I was a kid so I'm pretty much used to it. Definitely keep doing the ACV because it does WONDERS for itchy scalp. I have never heard of the itchy scalp grease and will definitely look into it more!!!
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 2nd December 2010, 3:22 pm

Girl that Kera Care grease is the TRUTH....it should be in the beauty supply....Ive been using it for years!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 2nd December 2010, 6:48 pm

Yep-

ACV rinses are great as well.

When I was doing those,
I would do half-n-half
ACV/H2O in a spray bottle.

The home remedies are my first 'go-to' now.
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 9:04 pm

Thanks sweet tee. That definitely sounds easy enough! it's now in my book!!! I am writing some of these good recipes/ideas in a notebook so I don't forget them all!!! I can be scatter brained sometimes!!! dance
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 3rd December 2010, 12:04 am

Misskris, here is a link you can take a look at. You may want to consider a more dilute version of ACV to start off with to see how your hair responds. Then, if you feel you need to make it more concentrated, you can. The link here is more in line with the ratio I typically see when I am reviewing hair related sites.

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/natural-hair-care-product.html

Possible straw like hair is no fun Smile

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 3rd December 2010, 12:26 am

Thanks Naturalnolagirl!! I will check it right now!! Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 3rd December 2010, 5:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies Ladies. I ordered the Neem oil and I plan to try the ACV this weekend.
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 3rd December 2010, 7:49 pm

Ebone, let us know how the neem works for you. Also, update us if you use the ACV. Neem has an obnoxious odor. You may consider adding an essential oil or some type of natural fragrance to it.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 3rd December 2010, 7:56 pm

naturalnolagirl1900 wrote:Ebone, let us know how the neem works for you. Also, update us if you use the ACV. Neem has an obnoxious odor. You may consider adding an essential oil or some type of natural fragrance to it.

Will do! ((Crossing fingers for positive results))
ebonediva
ebonediva

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 11th December 2010, 5:47 pm

ebonediva: Tea tree oil is the natural remedy with the most data behind it re: dandruff. Unfortunately, most companies don't put enough of it in their shampoos to make a difference. They add just a little bit so they can put "with tea tree oil" on the front label. I found a good formula today though. It's the JASON Natural Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo... http://www.jason-natural.com/products/specialty_hair_care.php.

Tea tree oil is the 2nd ingredient. It's a good option to try after the ACV and Neem. Ok, I'll shut up now! Wink
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 12th December 2010, 2:35 am

LittleOne wrote:ebonediva: Tea tree oil is the natural remedy with the most data behind it re: dandruff. Unfortunately, most companies don't put enough of it in their shampoos to make a difference. They add just a little bit so they can put "with tea tree oil" on the front label. I found a good formula today though. It's the JASON Natural Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Shampoo... http://www.jason-natural.com/products/specialty_hair_care.php.

Tea tree oil is the 2nd ingredient. It's a good option to try after the ACV and Neem. Ok, I'll shut up now! Wink

I've used the Tea Tree oil mixed with peppermint for the cooling effect and it works for the moment, but I go back to itching in less than 2 days. My husband hates the smell of those two together!
ebonediva
ebonediva

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 12th December 2010, 2:36 am

I did an ACV wash this morning; so I'll see how this works and let everyone know.
ebonediva
ebonediva

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 12th December 2010, 8:55 am

Great!
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 14th December 2010, 1:41 am

Any update? :-)
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by ebonediva 14th December 2010, 10:57 pm

Today is day 2 and so far so good. I started itching a little this morning while I was walking to work and I patted the spot instead of scratching it. I checked my scalp this evening with a mirror and it looks like it's in good shape; not producing any build-up. I have a few flakes. I plan on doing another ACV wash this weekend to see if I can continue to clear up my scalp.
ebonediva
ebonediva

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Somebody 15th December 2010, 12:06 am

ebonediva wrote:Today is day 2 and so far so good. I started itching a little this morning while I was walking to work and I patted the spot instead of scratching it. I checked my scalp this evening with a mirror and it looks like it's in good shape; not producing any build-up. I have a few flakes. I plan on doing another ACV wash this weekend to see if I can continue to clear up my scalp.

Thanks ebonediva! I already have some witch hazel and tea tree oil, so I'll see how those work first before spending more money. I'm home from University for Christmas and forgot them at Uni, so I can't test them for another 3 weeks. I wonder if I'll be able to withstand the itching...
Jo Somebody
Jo Somebody

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 17th December 2010, 2:09 pm

Hey Jo Somebody. witch hazel is cheap and you may be able to find a smal vile of tea tree somewhere like at GNC. I would wait 3 weeks if I didn't have to. But trust me I do understand about not spending if you don't have to.

@ Ebonediva... so your ACV wash...what did you do? Just straight up plain ACV or did u dilute it? This stuff on my scalp from henna'ing with lemon juice is awful. I mean that was 2 whole weeks ago and my scalp is STILL flaking. It's the worst!!! I need something quick fast. A friend is cornrowing my hair next week and I don't want my scalp to gross her out!!! LOL HELP!!!!! Or should I just get some head n shoulders and call it a day???
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 17th December 2010, 5:07 pm

Hey misskriss!

If those flakes and itching just started after the henna I don't think it's dandruff. I had mad itchies when I used to use lemon juice. It was really uncomfortable and my scalp felt dirty for days. I use aloe vera juice in my henna now. A clarifying shampoo with some gentle scalp rubbing should get rid of the rest of the henna residue. I used to use my fiance's shampoo when I needed it instead of buying a separate one. HTH Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 17th December 2010, 5:39 pm

Thanks LittleOne. Got any good suggestions for a clarifying poo? I have never used one (I don't think I have) and I don't wanna spend much $ as I am broke).
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 17th December 2010, 5:41 pm

I see someone in another thread said they use Giovanni Smooth as Silk which I have. Is that one? I guess I'll go look. Smile
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next