CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff.

+7
misskris
ElenaMaylee
EMarie
naturallynola
dajewel
LittleOne
ebonediva
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff. Empty Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff.

Post by ebonediva 30th November 2010, 11:43 pm

I have a serious issue with an itchy scalp and dandruff in the top of my head. About 2 months ago I started using Tea tree and peppermint mix on my scalp and this would help only for a few days. Afterwards I "feel" like I need to wash my hair. I co-wash 3x's a week and wear twist and twist-outs weekly. I have eczema and have always dealt with dry skin; since I've been natural I don't use the medicated shampoo's I used to get from the dermatologist anymore b/c of the harsh chemicals that are in them (sadly enough---they worked).
Any thoughts on something I could use?? confused
ebonediva
ebonediva

http://God Said It, I Believe It, and That Settles It....AMEN

Back to top Go down

Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff. Empty Re: Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff.

Post by LittleOne 1st December 2010, 12:02 am

Hey ebonediva!

The medicated shampoos are really the only effective answer. I know people love home remedies but dandruff is caused by a fungal infection and those don't go away easily. ACV, for example, has antifungal properties, but it's potency is only 5% (you can see that on the bottle...5% acidity). You mix that with water and you end up with little to no antifungal benefits. Why let a fungal infection keep flaring up, when you can be done with it for good? It's kind of like trying to get rid of a migraine by meditating. I wish that would work....but trust me, it does not.

Nizoral is the best antidandruff shampoo and is probably most similar (if not the same) as what your derm recommended.

A pharmacist also showed me this shampoo recently....
http://www.amazon.com/DS-Laboratories-Revita-Stimulating-Shampoo/dp/B002UD52WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1291171865&sr=8-1[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's a hair growth shampoo...it works because it contains caffeine (that's why tea rinses work). It has a lot of natural ingredients, but it also fights dandruff. It's not organic or anything though, just fyi.

HTH Smile Good luck!

Last edited by LittleOne on 3rd December 2010, 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some info on home remedies)
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff. Empty Re: Serious issue with itchy scalp/dandruff.

Post by dajewel 1st December 2010, 1:48 am

u can also use neem powder or oil, as they are are known to treat excema.

dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st December 2010, 1:51 am

LittleOne wrote:Hey ebonediva!

The medicated shampoos are really the only effective answer. Nizoral works the best and is probably most similar (if not the same) as what your derm recommended.

A pharmacist showed me this shampoo recently....
http://www.amazon.com/DS-Laboratories-Revita-Stimulating-Shampoo/dp/B002UD52WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1291171865&sr=8-1[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It's a hair growth shampoo...it works because it contains caffeine (that's why tea rinses work). It has a lot of natural ingredients, but it also fights dandruff. It's not organic or anything though, just fyi.

HTH Smile Good luck!

caffeine and certain teas (black, green, etc) work because they are dht blockers (dht is what causes hair to fall out), and as such give the illusion that ur hair is growing.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 1st December 2010, 2:00 am

I too was going to encourage you to checkout neem. From Nature with Love has it on save--50% off. If anyone in your household has acne or eczema, it can also be used for that. Now, the smell is very obnoxious. You can get the powder and it is very cheap. There is another oil, Karanja, that is similar to neem and the smell is more palatable. You can also find it at the same website and it is on sale also.

www.fromnaturewithlove.com

http://www.livestrong.com/article/149440-herbs-for-itchy-flaky-scalp/

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 1st December 2010, 2:08 am

@dajewel: Well, if we're gonna be all technical... Smile

Caffeine decreases DHT levels, it does not block its production. Either way, I mentioned that "caffeine works" because I know people think there's nothing topical that can truly affect hair growth. Caffeine is an effective ingredient.

Last edited by LittleOne on 2nd December 2010, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 1st December 2010, 10:18 am

Last week Naturally Curly had something called Scalpure on their site....I think Im going to try it. Its all natural so I suppose it cant hurt! The website is www.scalpure.com
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 1st December 2010, 10:47 am

Marie, I looked at the website for scalpure, but didn't see any ingredients. Do you know what is in it? I always like to see full ingredient lists and am quite skeptical when they are not on the site and the product intro comes across as the almost a miracle(maybe it was there and I just missed it). So, many times itchy scalp/dandruff has to due with products/diet/stress/hydration/climate, but companies continue to draw people away from diagnosis and what is often simple home remedies and behavioral changes (herbs/hydration/changing hair products,etc.). Just my heads-up regarding corporate America--LOL

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 1st December 2010, 12:26 pm

Check the purchase page....https://www.scalpure.com/order/1-container/

For $15.99 I may try it....it definitely gets mixed reviews when it comes to hair growth!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 1st December 2010, 12:29 pm

I will take a look. Good luck!

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by ElenaMaylee 1st December 2010, 12:46 pm

My sister uses the African Black Soap line by Shea Moisture and it works for her. She has seborrheic dermatitis. Shea Moisture is all natural and is sold at Target.
ElenaMaylee
ElenaMaylee

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 1st December 2010, 1:59 pm

ebonediva wrote:I have a serious issue with an itchy scalp and dandruff in the top of my head. About 2 months ago I started using Tea tree and peppermint mix on my scalp and this would help only for a few days. Afterwards I "feel" like I need to wash my hair. I co-wash 3x's a week and wear twist and twist-outs weekly. I have eczema and have always dealt with dry skin; since I've been natural I don't use the medicated shampoo's I used to get from the dermatologist anymore b/c of the harsh chemicals that are in them (sadly enough---they worked).
Any thoughts on something I could use?? confused

maybe u are washing too much...? another reason that our scalps are dry is because they are not ph'd balance. i want to also suggest spritz ur scalp with aloe, witch hazel and castor oil.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 1st December 2010, 2:06 pm

idk..maybe u should use the medicated stuff from the dermatologist, eventhough it does have bad chemicals in them b/c if they worked, then u should use them and u shouldn't wash ur hair so much either b/c it could make ur condition worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 2:58 pm

@ Dajewel.... "i want to also suggest spritz ur scalp with aloe, witch hazel and castor oil." --- how many parts to parts?? all equal or what? That sounds like it may help my itch too!! And cheap. Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 5:33 pm

Well I suffer from psoriasis and refuse to use the nizoral shampoos
because they just didn't work!

I now use baking soda +water to cleanse my hair & scalp and I could not be happier!

I have used it for over 3 years now, relaxed and natural, and it is always a winner for me!
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 5:44 pm

@ Sweet Tee, Dang!!! baking soda can be used for just about everything huh??? From scrubbing pots and pans, to freshening the fridge to cleaning hair!!!! LOL WOW!!! That is some mighty stuff. I have never heard that before. So what do you use to moisturize? The baking soda seems like it is mighty drying? How often do you cleanse your hair with it???
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 5:50 pm

LOL @ Miss Kris!

It is not that drying to me, however when I was relaxed, I did use hair cream mixed with olive or avocado oil then my heat protectant...

Now I add my Qhemet BRBC then my FX Curls Up or EcoStyler and that's it!

It has truly been a scalp/skin saver for me!
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 1st December 2010, 6:16 pm

Ok, where do you get this EcoStyer from? I keep seeing people refer to it but where do you get it? Is that one I can find in Tar'je (LOL-Target) or online?
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 6:18 pm

I got mine from Sallys- $3.49

I have heard of it being as cheap as $2.99
but not sure where it was bought from.

ETA: I get the Olive oil one...
(there are 2 or 3 to choose from.)

Last edited by Sweet Tee on 1st December 2010, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 1st December 2010, 8:06 pm

Baking soda huh?? Hmmm I might have to try that!

My sister and I used to crush aspirin and make a paste and that worked well too!!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 8:11 pm

@EMarie-

That's a new one for the hair.

I have heard to do that for pimples, though.

I was in JC for Thanksgiving to see my Grandma!

Lincoln HS grad too!
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 1st December 2010, 8:23 pm

Ha! Im actually from NY....just live in JC but not for much longer and I so love it here!! Ahh well!

Meanwhile, I didnt know you could use aspirin for pimples...go figure!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 8:24 pm

LOL!!!

Where you moving to- back to NY?

& Yep- PIMPLES!!!

Go figure with the home remedies!
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 1st December 2010, 8:30 pm

Nah just to Irvington.....against my will but I gotta do what I gotta do.

I LOVE it here....I live downtown 5 minutes from the PATH!!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 1st December 2010, 9:16 pm

WHEW!!
When have I ridden the PATH????
Memories...

I'm sure Irvington will be good to you!!!
Many Blessings there!!
Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next