CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Itchy Itchy Itchy!!!...oh with a little bit of dandruff...HELP!!!

+11
NaturaMeTricie
labon10
HAMPTONSFNST
JazmineB
Pinkpearls
Janique
jess-b-cuz
mrsrenaissance
HappyCurly
vovowiththafro
gretchrenaw
15 posters

Go down

Itchy Itchy Itchy!!!...oh with a little bit of dandruff...HELP!!! Empty Itchy Itchy Itchy!!!...oh with a little bit of dandruff...HELP!!!

Post by gretchrenaw 11th June 2010, 2:56 pm

Ok I've been transitioning now for almost 7 months and overall my hair is great! It's growing, very soft and doesn't shed nearly as much as it used to. However I've noticed it still has a tendency to itch like CRAZY every now and then and also has bits of dandruff that will begin to flake with just the slightest brush of my scalp. Now I've had this issue before I started transitioning and my sister even said it seems like I have less dandruff now than before but it's stll there and so is the itch! Sometimes the itch would be so bad I'd scratch until I created scabs in my head! My question is: is there any advice out there for how to lower or stop the dandruff as well as the itching??? Oh and by the way I try to wash every week and put EVOO on my hair to seal in the moisture and will try to start co-washing every Wednesday to see if this helps. Thanks!
gretchrenaw
gretchrenaw

Back to top Go down

Itchy Itchy Itchy!!!...oh with a little bit of dandruff...HELP!!! Empty Re: Itchy Itchy Itchy!!!...oh with a little bit of dandruff...HELP!!!

Post by vovowiththafro 11th June 2010, 3:04 pm

you might be suffering from dry scalp. Use a moisturizer - conditioner and oils such as tea tree or jojoba oil. I recommend co washing. I have an itchy scalp also and cowashing my hair helps it feel so much better.
vovowiththafro
vovowiththafro

Back to top Go down

Itchy Itchy Itchy!!!...oh with a little bit of dandruff...HELP!!! Empty Re: Itchy Itchy Itchy!!!...oh with a little bit of dandruff...HELP!!!

Post by HappyCurly 11th June 2010, 6:11 pm

i washed and conditioned with tee tree tingle stuff from trader joes, and left it naked, no oil. didn't manipulate much, one big braid all week. less itching than normal.

i used to have itching without flakes...i don't know what to do about flakes.

HappyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsrenaissance 11th June 2010, 11:12 pm

Before when I experienced itchy scalp my stylist said it was probably an allergic reaction to the products I was using. Maybe switch your products...also drink lots of water. Dehydration can cause dry scalp.
mrsrenaissance
mrsrenaissance

Back to top Go down

Post by jess-b-cuz 15th June 2010, 2:12 am

ive always had problems with itch and dandruff as well but when i started cowashing it has improved greatly. i got braids on 6-3-10 and i am already seeing dandruff and im scratching alot. whenever i would wash my hair while wearing braids they would look very old afterwards. any advice would help me.
jess-b-cuz
jess-b-cuz

Back to top Go down

Post by Janique 15th June 2010, 2:20 am

You might have sebhorrheic dermatitis...I suggest seeing a dermatologist..they diagnosed me with that when I was younger
Janique
Janique

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkpearls 15th June 2010, 11:48 pm

Co-washing, steaming and coconut oil helps me.
Pinkpearls
Pinkpearls

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 16th June 2010, 4:48 am

i have scratched scabs on my head before too. it still happens sometimes. It can be either dandruff or dry scalp. They are completely different though. Heres good info from a website:

"A myth - some people think their dandruff is caused by their scalp being too dry. They try to deal with this by not washing their hair with shampoo, or wash it less often, believing that washing worsens the problem. This is a myth (not true). Dandruff differs from a dry scalp in that it usually gets better when you shampoo more frequently (with the right shampoos).

Dandruff is more common in men than in women, and in people with oily skin.

Some studies have suggested that diets that are too salty, sugary or spicy and accompanied by excessive alcohol may exacerbate dandruff. "

Symptoms:

"Adult individuals with seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp may have red, flaky, greasy patches of skin.
There are while flakes of skin on the scalp, and in the person's hair
Flakes may be oily looking
Head may feel tight and itchy
Head may feel tingly
Head may feel sore
Red, flaky, greasy patches of skin (adults, Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp in adults)
Crusting and scaling rash on scalp (babies with Seborrheic dermatitis, or cradle cap)
Most cases of dandruff do not require a visit to the doctor. However, those who still find themselves scratching their scalp, if parts of the scalp become red or swollen, after a few weeks of self-treatment should see their doctor. The person may have severe seborrheic dermatitis or another condition that has dandruff symptoms. "

Treatment:

"Tea-tree oil - This oil comes from the Australian Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia). A growing number of shampoos now include tea-tree oil as one of its ingredients. It has been used for centuries as an antifungal, antibiotic, and an antiseptic. However, some people are allergic to it."
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 16th June 2010, 11:46 am

I suffered from a dry scalp and currently use Giovanni TTT once a month followed by an ACV rinse. Prior to using that shampoo I used Keracare's dry, itchy scalp shampoo and diluted it with water so the ingredients wouldn't be so drying. Tea tree is a wonderful oil and I've added it to conditioners and spritzes for it's natural benefits.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 16th June 2010, 12:49 pm

I wash my daughter's hair with Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap and add tea tree oil to the conditioner every week. Her scalp is oiled, every other day, with jojoba oil. She spritz her hair every morning, water, castor oil, jojoba oil, aloe vera and a few drops of tea tree oil. This helps the itch and the dandruff.

We have also tried aloe vera gel mixed with jojoba oil and tea tree oil, for the scalp.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 16th June 2010, 12:55 pm

@jess...I never wash my braids, simply run luke-warm water over my head. Squeeze the water out with a towel and wrap a dry around my head for about 20 minutes to soak some of the water. Spritz hair with moisturizer and tie down with scarf. This helps me control the frizzes.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 17th June 2010, 3:36 pm

@jess: check this site out for info about washing your extensions, www.growafrohairlong.com
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by gretchrenaw 19th June 2010, 2:11 am

Thank you guys so much for all the advice!! I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind and hopefully will be able to report back on improvements being made!!!
gretchrenaw
gretchrenaw

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturaMeTricie 19th June 2010, 5:41 pm

@gretchrenaw: I am with you regarding dry and itchy scalp. My dermatologist diagnosed me with P and S (Psoriasis and Seborrheic Dermatitis) in 03' I have tried prescriptions including Dermasmooth, which has given me the best result. I am a new transitioner (only 8wks post relaxer-April 22, 2010) but since I started transitioning my scalp has gotten a lot better. I stopped using the prescription because I want to treat it naturally.

One of the most important things I do after washing and conditioning my hair is oiling my scalp while it is still damp. As others have posted...Tea Tree is the best but for me I have to use the shampoo sparingly or it ends up irritating (itching) my scalp. The oil is definitely better.
NaturaMeTricie
NaturaMeTricie

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturaMeTricie 19th June 2010, 5:50 pm

@labon10: The regimen you use with your daughter really sounds like a winner. I want to try your spritz mixture. My hair absorbs oils very quickly so it would be interesting to see how it does with this...I think moisture is the key. Thanks for sharing Smile
NaturaMeTricie
NaturaMeTricie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 20th June 2010, 9:42 am

Castor oil (natural, cold pressed, nothing added) has helped my itchy/dandruffy scalp tremendously, I try to use it every other day, and I really only wash my hair once a week (don't want to manipulate my hair too much). The difference has been AMAZING..... I used to scratch my head like a crazy person, and used to constantly have to check my shoulders for dandruff, and now I can't even remember the last time I did either of those things.
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by tandypink 20th June 2010, 7:55 pm

I usually use coconut oil, shea butter oil, and extra virgin oil every other day which helps a great deal.
tandypink
tandypink

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB 30th June 2010, 6:20 am

i used to do the same thing, scratch scabs onto my hair and scratch open sores. and it would itch 2 or 3 days after I washed it. I figured out that when I leave conditioner or oil on my scalp, it gives me an oily scalp and makes my whole head feel disgusting. Last time i washed my hair, i put leave in conditioner on my hair but focused on the ends and made sure to not put any close to the scalp or on the scalp, and I have barely scratched once and it has been a week since i washed!
when i styled my hair, i did the same thing with the styling product, i focused on the ends and made sure to not get any near the scalp. My hair is natural but I really hope you try this and it works on your hair too. If you're transitioning, it might be hard to keep your new growth moisturized while not making your scalp oily, but I hope it works for you. Let me know if you try it.
JazmineB
JazmineB

Back to top Go down

Post by SasahT 4th July 2010, 2:50 am

I have always had an itchy scalp and dandruff, ever since I was a little girl. I remember my mother would "grease" my scalp as a child to prevent it, but it always seemed like got worse. My mom would use Neutrogena T-gel on my scalp as a child which actually worked but I just remember it smelled so bad and it made my hair so stiff.

I'e been transitioning for 10 months now. In the first few months my scalp was great, but at about month 5 in the itching/dandruff started up again .I tried using coconut oil on my scalp, but that made it worse. So I picked up a bottle of Nuetrogena T-gel Stubborn Itch and made a few adjustments to it. Im happy to say I have little itching and virtually no dandruff now. My routine is below......

I first mix 1/3 apple cidar vinegar, 1/3 Neutrogena T-Gel Stubborn Itch Formula, and 1/3 water in an applicator bottle. Then I wet my hair in the shower and apply a generous amount of conditioner (usually tresseme or aussie moist) and detangle. While the conditioner is still in my hair I apply the shampoo mix directly on my scalp with the applicator bottle. I use my fingers or a wide tooth comb to massage the mixture on my scalp then leave it for 5-10 min (ur scalp will start to tingle) while I complete my shower routine. I then rinse everything out of my hair and apply a deep conditioner and Suave Rosemary and Mint. I usually keep this in over night or sit under the dryer for 30. It is important to dc afterwords b/c the Neutrogena T-gel smells bad (like medicine) and it can make ur hair stiff. Between washes I apply tea tree oil to my scalp every few days. Like I said I have virtually no dandruff or itching since I started this method. Hope this is helpful!
SasahT
SasahT

http://members.fotki.com/Sasaht/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by jenerett 4th July 2010, 3:24 am

Tea trea oil knocks it out. There's a fantasia naturals tea conditioner and scalp serum that works wonders. I use it one time when I start to itch and get flakey especially in tne winter and it clears it up. And it has this great tingly sensation. Whoo weeee.... it feels good after the torture of the itchies.
jenerett
jenerett

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down