CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need hair advice for my friend

4 posters

Go down

need hair advice for my friend Empty need hair advice for my friend

Post by curlista 30th November 2010, 7:32 pm

She's a 4a type and she says that her hair is ALWAYS dry. If she moisturizes it, it will only last for a day at the most and be dry again. She also takes chemo (idk if that affects the chemical balance of her hair or not). Anyway she recently told me she always puts oil but it's dry and I explained that oil's a sealant not a moisturizer. Since then she's used it as sealant but her hair is still dry. Any recommendations for good moisturizers???

She rotates products right now but she's been using KCCC and Lustrasilk for awhile.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

need hair advice for my friend Empty Re: need hair advice for my friend

Post by curlista 30th November 2010, 11:27 pm

BUMP
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 30th November 2010, 11:31 pm

Hi Curlista,

Is your friend wearing her out or keeping it covered? Chemo is hard on the body in so many ways...it's best for her to accept that this might be a tough time for her hair. She should definitely try some natural moisturizers. I like aloe vera juice as a spritz followed by shea butter or coconut oil to seal.

Do whatever you can to help your friend (just like you're already doing). She has to minimize stress right now. HTH
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 30th November 2010, 11:57 pm

Littleone:

She wears her hair out 95% of the time: wash n go or twistout. She was thinking about getting twists soon for winter.

Oh no, I'm sorry I didn't clarify, she's been taking chemo for a few years. The hair she has now is the result of it growing back after it fell out. She's just frustrated with the dryness and doesn't know how to deal with it.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Very Happy Is aloe vera juice very moisturizing, it seems so liquidy like it would just lay on top. Does it absorb well?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 1st December 2010, 12:14 am

Oh, ok, great! Sounds like the worst of its over.

Aloe vera juice is mostly water, humectants, and amino acids. It absorbs very easily. It won't necessarily make the hair feel softer though...it's still important to seal.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 1st December 2010, 1:16 am

Yes, she's very blessed Smile and ok I'll recommend the shea butter and aloe to her. I had some shea before that she tried but she didn't like all the rubbing to melt it. Is whipped better for this problem?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by C. 1st December 2010, 9:51 am

yea i think it would be better. you could whip it yourself with a hand mixer and maybe add some oils to make it a little softer. I mixed [w/ a plastic spoon] some with olive and coconut oil. I like it better this way because even if my hands are wet form touching my [wet] hair, i can still rub it together to evenly distribute it.

C.

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 1st December 2010, 12:25 pm

Oh ok, thanks for the advice C. Smile
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 1st December 2010, 3:10 pm

Ditto - whipped shea butter is easier to apply. I'm still trying to finish the pound of unrefined, raw shea butter that I bought a few months ago. I whip it, but it's still too thick. Next time, I will buy some that's already whipped. The Natural Products section of the Hair Liberty store has Hugo Naturals which is cold pressed and whipped...

www.hairliberty.org/shop Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by dyamonds10 1st December 2010, 3:29 pm

LittleOne wrote:Hi Curlista,

Is your friend wearing her out or keeping it covered? Chemo is hard on the body in so many ways...it's best for her to accept that this might be a tough time for her hair. She should definitely try some natural moisturizers. I like aloe vera juice as a spritz followed by shea butter or coconut oil to seal.

Do whatever you can to help your friend (just like you're already doing). She has to minimize stress right now. HTH

I agree! AVJ and butter!
dyamonds10
dyamonds10

http://www.simplylove-leigh.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 1st December 2010, 5:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Very Happy
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down