CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have any advice for a newbie? need hair help!

4 posters

Go down

Have any advice for a newbie? need hair help! Empty Have any advice for a newbie? need hair help!

Post by Pancakes89 26th February 2010, 3:20 am

So here is my story. I started getting relaxers when I was three years old and honestly I thought that was normal until I started doing research and realized most girls got relaxers when they were much older than me. I've always hated relaxers the burning and just the whole process of them and for years, I thought getting a relaxer was my only choice. So when I was around 16 I got my first flat iron and let me tell you before that my hair was always in a ponytail and I never really did anything with my hair because I never had patience with my hair before. So I spent a year flat ironing my hair and I damaged my hair super bad,I never used a heat protectant on it or anything stupid stupid mistake. So with the flat iron damage along with serious ponytail damage my hair was a mess. In the middle of my hair and in the back it became like matted and crinkly just horrible. So my hair was like that for months until one day as I put a relaxer in and it just hit me "Why am I putting this damaging relaxer on my hair that is already messed up" so I already put the relaxer in and I wasn't happy about it. I seriously wasn't seeing the benefit of getting a relaxer anymore and hadn't been for years but I still got them because I grew up with family members who do sadly believe in "good hair" isn't "nappy hair". So a while later I went on youtube and came across all these hair videos and that was it, I knew I had to start doing something. So I invested in a good flat iron, good heat protectants and cut my hair like this https://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/lexi07ale/?action=view&current=Picture035.jpg&newest=1 I hope you can see it lol. So with the haircut I still didn't completely get all that damaged hair cut off so I started trimming my own split ends and getting deep conditioners and hair masks and I finally got my last relaxer on Jan 26th 09. I never had the intention of wanting to go natural I basically just wanted to stop relaxing I found out about the whole transitioning thing on the internet don't really remember lol. So the damaged parts of my hair have basically broken off and are now curly and my hair right now is like 50 billion different lengths it's longer at the top, shorter in the middle where I had the most damaged and a little longer at the bottom. I'm just worried that the middle of my hair is never going to catch up with the rest of my hair. I don't know what to do? I also don't know how to wear my hair natural because I have a few pieces of hair that have relaxed ends that I am waiting to cut. By my hair being so many different lengths it just looks crazy when I have it natural so I've been flat ironing my hair I only do it once about two days after I wash my hair and then I'll go for like two weeks without putting heat on so I flat iron usually once or twice a month. So anyway sorry I wrote so much, this is my first time being on a site like this and I'm just really curious lol.

Pancakes89

Back to top Go down

Have any advice for a newbie? need hair help! Empty Re: Have any advice for a newbie? need hair help!

Post by 3rdTimeAround 26th February 2010, 9:33 am

Welcome. You'll find lots of help and advice here.
3rdTimeAround
3rdTimeAround

Back to top Go down

Have any advice for a newbie? need hair help! Empty Re: Have any advice for a newbie? need hair help!

Post by Ameenah 26th February 2010, 12:17 pm

I have many regrets regarding my hair as well but we all have to start from somewhere right? maybe you can try a couple of things. maybe cut all of the hair the same length, maybe getting micro braids or yarn , you have a couple of options just do what you feels works best for you. Also take care of your curly hair because one day you will come to love it and you want it to be healthy
Ameenah
Ameenah

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 1st March 2010, 1:02 pm

Welcome Pancakes89,

This site has so much information to assist you along your journey to grow healthy, natural hair. I'm a long term transitioner and the best advice I can give you is to begin to treat your entire head of hair as if it were completely natural. Discontinue applying heat, get your hair trimmed or shaped into one length and consider a protective style such as braids, kinky twists, cornrows or weaves to ease you into your transition. Your hair has been through a lot of manipulation. So, give it a vacation/break for some time while you continue to educate yourself on how to properly care for your hair. I learned how to take care of my natural hair while I wore weaves during the first year of my transition.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or express your concerns. We're all here to help you. HTH
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down