CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puffy roots - help

+6
freckledmom4
jeanlouisangel
Lynnieluve
BajanPrincess82
tiashaunteé
Renny
10 posters

Go down

Puffy roots - help Empty Puffy roots - help

Post by Renny 30th November 2010, 12:16 pm

I have been unsuccessful in maintaining good second day hair with my twistouts. The roots are extremely fuzzy. I look like I have an afro with curls sticking out of it. I had been doing 20 twist and last week I did 45 and still had fuzzy hair. Here is what I did last week:

I washed, DC with Darcy's overnight and the next morning washed out the conditoner and put in Giovanni Direct-Leave-in and let it dry. It was about 90% dry in the front and totally dry in the back. I started twisting in the front. (I know that's backward, but I just like to start in the front.) I used Elasta QP and Oyin Burnt Sugar on the ends. Very little burnt sugar. After I was done I pinned the roots down with hair pins because my hair begins to unravel at the roots. I was hoping this would help with the frizz/puffiness. I had this same problem when I twisted with a mix of Curly Meringue and Aloe Vera gel (a Kimmaytube suggestion). I thought it was because I was only doing 20 twists, but since I did 45 I know that's not it. I'm believing it's product and/or the fact that I need to go completely dry.

The plan is to try the Curly Meringue/Aloe Vera gel and the Elasta QP on completely dry hair before I give up on them.

Thanks for reading, I'm taking all suggestions on how to improve my twist outs. The only thing I won't think I'll be able to do is leave the twist in longer. I can't wear twists to work. The max I've been able to leave them in is two days over the weekend and that was with the Curly Meringue/Aloe Vera gel. Made no difference in the puffy roots to leave them in.

Help!

TIA. Very Happy
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Puffy roots - help Empty Re: Puffy roots - help

Post by tiashaunteé 30th November 2010, 12:21 pm

Check out Naptural85's YT channel. She has a twistout vid in which she give tips on keeping the roots smooth.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 30th November 2010, 2:13 pm

Have you tried flat-twists instead of individuals? That way the hair will have to lay down since its twisted close to the scalp.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th November 2010, 2:33 pm

Does this happen when you twist on wet hair?
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 30th November 2010, 6:54 pm

tiashaunteé wrote:Check out Naptural85's YT channel. She has a twistout vid in which she give tips on keeping the roots smooth.

I've watched her vid and plan to try her method next time. Thanks, Tiashaunte.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 30th November 2010, 6:55 pm

BajanPrincess82 wrote:Have you tried flat-twists instead of individuals? That way the hair will have to lay down since its twisted close to the scalp.

No, that's an idea, but how will that change whether or not I have frizz?
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 30th November 2010, 7:03 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:Does this happen when you twist on wet hair?

I've never twisted on really wet. Just damp hair and then last week the back was 100% dry and the front 90% dry. No difference in the frizz. Should I try wet? Should I sit under the dryer? Very Happy

Thanks!
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 30th November 2010, 9:07 pm

You can twist it wet and let it air dry.....just know that there will be shrinkage....but maybe no puffy roots.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 30th November 2010, 11:41 pm

Renny wrote:
BajanPrincess82 wrote:Have you tried flat-twists instead of individuals? That way the hair will have to lay down since its twisted close to the scalp.

No, that's an idea, but how will that change whether or not I have frizz?
I'm thinking that it will pull the hair tighter and give it less room to do its own thing and frizz up. I don't know! lol
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 1st December 2010, 12:01 am

I would try doing it wet and if not better then I would try flat twisting like BajanP said...If still nothing I would change the product. Hope these work Very Happy
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by freckledmom4 1st December 2010, 1:10 am

With my hair frizz is inevitable, but I get significanly less frizz when I leave my twists in longer than over night (at least 24 hrs.) I also flat twist the roots on damp hair. I know that you don't like to go out with your hair twisted-neither do I, but I just rock a cute beanie over my satin scarf to hide my hair until my twists have a chance to "set." Also, castor oil/ Burnt Sugar helps to cut down on my frizz. I have been using DB Maddy Vanilla or Qhemet's AOHC to twist.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 1st December 2010, 1:42 am

Renny, I flat twist on wet hair. Even when I do braidouts (mainly what I do), I often begin with flat twists and then finish with braids and the roots are not fuzzy. I don't pin or use anything special, I just flat twist very securely not lose flat twists (if that makes sense).

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel 2nd December 2010, 12:18 am

I'm a lil lost ladies. So do u flat twist, let it dry and then unravel to later two strand twist?
(silly question, sorry)
fanmnatirel
fanmnatirel

Back to top Go down

Post by MsVera 5th December 2010, 2:55 am

I've only ever had fuzzy twist-outs when I didn't use Shea Butter over my leave-in. I just smooth around in my palms and apply with a light hand. Then I usually apply a tad bit more to the ends before finishing off each twist.
Before I started whipping my butter with oils, I was applying plain ol' raw unrefined Shea to about 70% air-dried hair. Whipped butter is just easier applied for me when hair is any wetter, however I still don't begin twisting it until it has air-dried some, otherwise my hair tangles to much.
Another tip: when you start twisting....grab your hair about 1.5 to 2" away from the scalp and start twisting, but don't move your hands down your strands until the twisting meets your fingers...only THEN start moving down the strands to your ends. This helps ensure that your twists at the scalp are tight enough not to loosen too much after you let it go. HTH

Vera
MsVera
MsVera

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 5th December 2010, 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I had some success. I tried a gel last week. I had done a WNG with Curls Whipped Cream. I can only get one day hair out it, but I didn't want to waste the product that was in my hair, so later that evening I rewet my hair in sections and used a tiny bit of the Kiss My Face Upper Management gel (It's all organic and natural). It was gorgeous. The curl definition was amazing and it was very soft and moist and shiny. My roots weren't puffy except in the crown. Dang that crown. No matter how hard I tried it was puffy. I'm going to try using a little more gel in the crown to see if I get better results in that area.

I did it on Wednesday and it's just gotten puffy today. Progress.

I do plan to flat twist. It think that's an excellent idea. Maybe try it tonight with my Qhemets Burdock Root Cream and see how I make out.
Renny
Renny

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 5th December 2010, 6:30 pm

Yeah, I would try them wet too. that's how I always do mine and they always come out super defined and the roots have never puffed up. They only puff when I sweat from exercise!! You don't NEED heat but you can if you want. I just always let mine air dry. Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down