CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I watched 'Good Hair - by Chris Rock' - wow!!

+5
honey009
rayray19
NylaCoils
makeupvixen
Kez
9 posters

Go down

I watched 'Good Hair - by Chris Rock' - wow!! Empty I watched 'Good Hair - by Chris Rock' - wow!!

Post by Kez 29th November 2010, 11:44 am

Hey ladies,
Sat night, the hubby was away and I was bored, so i flicked through available new releases to rent on my movie chanel and whilst hunting through, a trailer for Good Hair by Chris Rock came up - immediately I hit 'buy' lol!
Well, what a documentary, for the most part anyways...I was really taken aback by how forced upon you in some places the Relaxer is - there were little baby girls about 5 saying good hair is relaxed hair, but they hate having it done cos it burns :-( I felt so sad for them if im honest.
Then Chris met up with a Scientist who showed a chemical (the main one - cant remember the name) being dropped on a chicken breast and it burned instantly through the skin and flesh - scary stuff!
Now, im glad i used Alkaline perms after my first relaxer - as it reiterated to 'me' why i hated my first and last 'proper' relaxer so much.
As a white Curly, most my comments are positive thankfully - more as i guess my afro is less common - my main obstacle is work, some of which i put on myself i guess and what i portray to be smart, but im working on that! But I have to be honest, though many (not all) of you have mentioned in your BC stories etc bad reactions from people accepting your hair and curls etc - i was shocked to see it reitterated by your own race/colour etc - they do love relaxers it 'appeared' on the most part - no wonder you ladies can have an even harder time transitioning/BC'ing - not only do you have the challenge of that in its self, and your own opinions, you have almost everyone telling you dont do it or what have you done or get relaxed again lol!
Im not knocking relaxed ladies or weaves or anything - far from it - I am however, taking my hat off to you natural ladies and what it appears a large majority of you do have to face from an extremely early age....! I under stand the term Creamy Crack a hell of a lot more too now lol!
It really opened my eyes, to what i knew existed - mostly from you ladies sharing, but also from it being portrayed in the documentary.
Its mad how myself included (still do often) want that long flowing mane of hair like 'most white women' - i guess i get frustrated, as im White, and I STILL dont have it ha ha - but our curls are lovely, and we are lucky, we can wear our hair straight with some effort and some irons, yet wash it and we have amazing curls that many actually do also envy!
Sorry to ramble, i just thought id share my thoughts on what i thought was a really interesting film/documentary xxxxxx
Kez
Kez

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=537223131

Back to top Go down

I watched 'Good Hair - by Chris Rock' - wow!! Empty Re: I watched 'Good Hair - by Chris Rock' - wow!!

Post by makeupvixen 29th November 2010, 3:13 pm

I just watched it the other day too (Netflix) and I was like WOW when I saw some ladies waiting in a shop for some $1,000 and up wig that looked terrible! Then I felt bad for the group interview about natural hair and how they wouldn't hire a girl with natural hair. I'm not against the perm or anything but I don't believe in perming a young girls hair, there are so many other things you can do with a young girls hair if you would just take the time to learn and do it.

I was laughing at Raven Symone on how she doesn't play when it comes to her weave, LOL.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I watched 'Good Hair - by Chris Rock' - wow!! Empty Re: I watched 'Good Hair - by Chris Rock' - wow!!

Post by Kez 29th November 2010, 4:07 pm

I know it made me laugh too!! They were all like "don't touch the weave"'and the guys innthe barbers shop too were funny when one said the lady was getting "into it" and said "pull my hair" and her phoney pony came off lol! How awful haha!! Xx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by NylaCoils 29th November 2010, 5:19 pm

The part that I thought was sad was...the people in the middle eastern country are being told they are donating their hair to "God" only for it to be made into tracks and sold in the US.

NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by makeupvixen 29th November 2010, 5:33 pm

NylaCoils wrote:The part that I thought was sad was...the people in the middle eastern country are being told they are donating their hair to "God" only for it to be made into tracks and sold in the US.

In fact that's actually true. I learned about it one a few of my religious studies classes. The heads of those temples are making tons of money off these ladies and children that shave their heads to please their God. If they only knew what was happening to their hair and that people were making so much money off of them.
makeupvixen
makeupvixen

http://makeupvixen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kez 29th November 2010, 5:53 pm

I agree. It's so sad. They are so full of beleif and happiness at what they've done and why they think they've done it. I heard about that before and it put me off buying the hair for a while but on the flip id feel guilty if it was wasted so to speak, though it's never gonna be the case. It broke my heart the baby crying her eyes out having her little head shaved :-(
Xx
Kez
Kez

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 29th November 2010, 6:23 pm

wow that is sad i want to watch it..i hope its on my netflix
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by honey009 29th November 2010, 7:15 pm

Hmmm...gonna check this movie out on netflix too. I wasn't really feeling this movie when it came out ( why can't we make more movies about all the black women that have positive relationships with thier natural hair)..but I guess I will check it out now Rolling Eyes
honey009
honey009

http://thequietnatural.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 29th November 2010, 7:44 pm

This movie was kinda of like the "last straw" of me going natural. I had decided to do it but after seeing the movie I fully embraced it. It's excellent and we all need to see it.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 29th November 2010, 8:29 pm

Quotes from Good Hair that made me smh.....

1) the gods love hair
2)Cause u suppose to get a perm
3) daddy, why dont i have good hair?
4)we got our own hair
5) nice hair is straight

j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by SeanymphPrincess 29th November 2010, 9:11 pm

I just thought is was really interesting that by time their done cleaning and processing all that hair that the Indian woman give to the temple, it doesn't even look real anymore. I mean it looks fake once it gets on black womans heads. Am I the only one that sees this. I mean you know it real Indian hair, but it still looks fake.
SeanymphPrincess
SeanymphPrincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 29th November 2010, 9:24 pm

I thought it was extremely sad, even more so that people were paying a $1000 for a weave. I mean one of those people was a child care provider. Child care provider do not make that kind of money in GA. Even if she's running an illegal daycare and has more kids than she's supposed to, she still is not in the income bracket to pay $1000 for hair that's going to last 6 weeks. Insanity. But it just goes to show how much some of us hate ourselves.

Another thing I found to be sad was the comments from the men. I can't imagine asking a man to buy a weave, but this is clearly a standard thing. Like you no give me money, I no give you nooky.

It was just all sad, but I think well done and needed.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down