CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MY EDGES!!!!

+5
Kea::curls
Karibbee
d.denise
NikG20
mzebony
9 posters

Go down

MY EDGES!!!! Empty MY EDGES!!!!

Post by mzebony 29th November 2009, 7:48 pm

I just joined and I'm excited! Anyways, I have always been an on and off weave wearer, so my edges are shorter
than the rest of my hair from breakage. However, now that I am
transitioning and I haven't relaxed my hair since May 09 my edges are
growing in nicely, but since they are shorter than the rest of my hair they are
increasingly difficult to tame. Nothing I've tried lays them down. Any suggestions? Please help!

Furthermore, when I BC will I have to cut my hair to the length of the edges even though the rest of my hair is way longer just for it to look right? Sad
mzebony
mzebony

Back to top Go down

MY EDGES!!!! Empty Re: MY EDGES!!!!

Post by NikG20 29th November 2009, 11:44 pm

Hmm....have you tried IC Gel? Or ORS lock & twist gel?

I don't think you would have to cut it all down to your edges when you BC. I think your curls would probably blend in...
NikG20
NikG20

http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d.denise 29th November 2009, 11:53 pm

Try mixtures with aloe vera gel for hold too. Also, if you use your conditioner or shea butter and smooth the edges then tie a scarf on it for a while (like while you're getting dressed or even over night) it keeps your edges tamed.

I never BC'd but I don't see why you would have to cut all of your hair to the length of your edges. I think you could definitely learn to work with it and our hair in its curly state is so versatile that there are tons of styles out there that would look good with hair of varying lengths.
d.denise
d.denise

Back to top Go down

Post by Karibbee 30th November 2009, 11:24 pm

i had the same problem from wearing weaves and I transitioned over 9 months without cutting the rest of my hair to match the thinned out areas. I find gel (IC fantasia) is good for slicking anything back but if your sides are thinned out it might accentuate the gaps/thinness because the gel tends to flatten the hair down. A mixture of aloe vera gel and shea butter might work better or even just a little castor oil depending on your texture.
Karibbee
Karibbee

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 3rd December 2009, 11:52 am

I also agree with NikG (that you probably won't have to cut all your hair down evenly to BC). my hair @ the nape of my neck and above my ears is much shorter, but it mixes in. Its actually easier to see & define the curls in this shorter region, as well.

quick question for all you ladies: i recently BC'd & while looking for a good gel to hold & define my curls, aloe vera keeps coming up. However, when I try to find it in my natural health foodstore, it is marketed as a skin cream (like for sunburns). Is this the same thing? I'm really cautious about gels, since misuse in the past caused drying out & breakage @ my edges to begin with...thanks!

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by mzebony 7th December 2009, 8:30 pm

@Kea::curls: I have seen aloe vera gel at the vitamin shoppe.

Thank you ladies for your advice. It is much appreciated!
mzebony
mzebony

Back to top Go down

MY EDGES!!!! Empty Gels

Post by ChrsLvsBks 7th December 2009, 9:12 pm

Kea::curls wrote:quick question for all you ladies: i recently BC'd & while looking for a good gel to hold & define my curls, aloe vera keeps coming up. However, when I try to find it in my natural health foodstore, it is marketed as a skin cream (like for sunburns). Is this the same thing? I'm really cautious about gels, since misuse in the past caused drying out & breakage @ my edges to begin with...thanks!

The gel you find in the health food store may be marketed for sun burns. I have the Lily of the Desert brand. You will have to refrigerate it once opened.

Other good natural gels are MyJoie gel, AO's B5 gel (a little goes a long way) and Afroveda's pur whipped gelly (light hold).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 7th December 2009, 9:26 pm

thank you!!! i will have to try these Smile

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 7th December 2009, 9:43 pm

I found what helps me a lot is flaxseed gel and even better is that you can make it yourself and it is cheap and all natural/organic! I use a toothbrush to help smooth and control my edges and it lays so nicely. Please let me know if you are interested and i will tell you how to make it! My hair is very easy to slick, but i know others who like the gel as well. Hope that helps some, take care and God Bless~
Reshon30
Reshon30

https://www.youtube.com/reshon30

Back to top Go down

Post by missmoni4x4 7th December 2009, 10:14 pm

I can't speak on the edges, since I can't get mine to lay down either! But as far as your BC, that all depends on who cuts your hair & how you plan on styling it afterwards.

I went to a barber & he "tapered" my sides & back down shorter than the rest of my hair. (I think you could see it in the picture). I had 5 months growth & a stylist in a salon butchered it terribly uneven. Then I went to a barber like I felt I should have at first & he worked wit it! (short edges & all).
missmoni4x4
missmoni4x4

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 7th December 2009, 11:34 pm

My story was opposite because it was a barber who butchered me once (lol)! I cried so much, he cut off a good 3 inches and i had a perfectly rounded fro which i hated ( i looked like a microphone). Sorry for your bad experience, i guess we all have been through some stuff!
Reshon30
Reshon30

https://www.youtube.com/reshon30

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 7th December 2009, 11:57 pm

u can try castor oil to lay down your edges
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Reshon30 8th December 2009, 12:13 am