CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EXTREMELY Dry Hair

4 posters

Go down

EXTREMELY Dry Hair Empty EXTREMELY Dry Hair

Post by naturallybjones 21st November 2010, 4:28 am

Well it's what I feel is the typical natural problem: DRY HAIR! I got a Dominican blowout last week (bad idea I learned b/c while at the club I was informed in an indirect way that my hair smelled burnt...it did) and I washed my hair this past Friday once I got home. I washed and conditioned my hair (I don't have actual "deep conditioner" so I just sat under the dryer w/ my regular stuff), put some leave-in conditioner in, put some Darcy's Botanicals (DB) Shea Butter Moisturizing Cream in and DB Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme (maybe this was a bad idea?). I sat under the dry a little bit since I just wanted my hair braided and didn't want to put a bunch of heat on it w/ the blow dryer. Well yesterday while braiding my hair, my Mom was complaining about how dry my hair was. Now it's usually dry, but not THIS dry. Plus when I took my braids out this morning I couldn't help but notice how dry my roots were. Everytime I get a blowout (this was only my 2nd time) my hair is DRY I notice after washing it. I'm seriously just about to go back to my rollerset (the way it looks in my avatar picture) b/c this is just ridiculous! I feel like I'm shedding crazy and can't handle it. Plus with this cold weather approaching I do not need my hair to be any dryer. I probably need an actual deep conditioner, but I need advice or a miracle.

HELP!!!!
naturallybjones
naturallybjones

http://lefthandscribble.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

EXTREMELY Dry Hair Empty Re: EXTREMELY Dry Hair

Post by yacoomba 21st November 2010, 1:06 pm

I would think that you would need to do a deep treatment or several deep treatments for the next couple of weeks to get your hair back to the moisture level it was before the Dominican blowout session. Can't really recommend a good deep treatment for you (maybe someone can chime in) or you can you perhaps go the route of DT you previously used before the Dominican blowout. You're hair needs a bit of TLC now that it's basically been fried and laid to the side girlfriend (lol), those blowouts are cute though but they do come with a price to pay (sucked out moisture from the strands). Maybe start by pre-pooing with your favorite oil for how ever long you desire, cowashing, and then applying your DT sitting with it on for again desired amount of time (w/ shower cap on). Then do your regular routine after that, but I definitely think putting the moisture back into your strands is going to be key now. HTH Wink
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 21st November 2010, 2:05 pm

1. In addition to a moisture problem, you may also have a loss of protein problem. This is the link to a great article that has a hair test at the end: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

2. The best deep conditioners that I have used are Giovanni SAS, Giovanni Xtreme Silk and Aussi Moist 3 Minute Miracle.

3. You should also try a pre poo with coconut oil or jojoba oil or castor oil. I have also used Shea Moisture Deep Conditioner as a pre poo on dry hair.

4. Are you using a moisturizing shampoo without SLS?

5. What leave in are you using? The Kimmaytube leave in mixture helps with dryness.

6. Do you have a weekly regimen?

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallybjones 21st November 2010, 2:30 pm

Yes, I use Kera Care Anti-Dandruff Moisturizing shampoo which doesn't have SLS (I'm guessing that's sodium lauryl sulfate).

I use this Aphogee leave-in.

I really can't say that I have a weekly regimen. I seriously just bought my first containers of moisturizer like a month ago and I'm still trying to find what works for me. I'm pretty sure I've got my shampoo and conditioner (Kera Care for Dry & Itchy Scalp) figured out. I just need a good leave-in and deep conditioner.
naturallybjones
naturallybjones

http://lefthandscribble.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 21st November 2010, 3:15 pm

IMO: a weekly regimen is very important because your hair needs moisture and protein applied on a regular basis/schedule.

I suggest that until you get this dryness problem under control, just before your next shampoo/cowash, you should do a one time ACV rinse (2tbs ACV in 4oz of H20, pour on hair and scalp and rinse out) to get rid of any build up. An ACV rinse also helps reduce an itchy scalp.

Then weekly: (1) pre poo with warm EVCO or jojoba oil because these oils will penetrate your hair shaft (2) shampoo or co wash (3) DC with heat (4) after rinse out, apply leave in. I use Giovanni Direct Leave in the Kimmaytube mixture (5) then apply styler. I suggest you use one that is moisturizing and contains aloe vera. I just stared using Aubrey Organics Sea Buckthorn Leave in and curl activator and Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Hair Moisturizing Jelly, and my hair is very moist, smooth and curly.

HTH

Last edited by Naturally Esq on 21st November 2010, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 21st November 2010, 8:16 pm

Naturallybjones, in addition to the advice above, you don't have to sit under a dryer. You can create a "make shift steamer" by putting the conditioner on, then apply a plastic cap or hole free plastic bag, then a hot towel wrapped around the cap/bag, and then a second plastic cap/bag. This will keep the heat in and moist heat is better than the dry heat. I do this each wash. I usually keep this on 1 hour. Generally, I have to change the towel 1st or twice.

Also, if you want to use ingredients you probably have in the kitchen- coconut milk, honey, molasses, avocado and bananas (I use the baby food to stay clear of possibly having to pick bananas out of my hair). These are moisturizing ingredients. If you need protein, you can add eggs or yogurt. I will say beware. Some people have protein sensitivity and reach protein overload quickly. Overwhelmingly, moisture is what naturally/unprocessed curly hair usually needs. Protein tends to be more of a problem for the people who are relaxed than natural curlies or people whose diet is protein deficient. There are other strengthening treatments such as Bentonite or Rhassoul clay and some of the ayurvedic herbs.

Just be well-informed and do your research before you use these treatments. Naturally esq. gave you a good site to learn more about moisture/protein balance. Of course, everyone here is always willing to answer questions.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down