CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can I get my twist outs to hang down better?

+8
Smooth Jazz Luvr
lumii
Emartini04
naturallynola
Kea::curls
Sebastain13
sweetdrk1
QuirkyCurly
12 posters

Go down

How can I get my twist outs to hang down better? Empty How can I get my twist outs to hang down better?

Post by QuirkyCurly 20th November 2010, 7:09 pm

Hey guys!

I wanted to know if theres a way for me to have a twist out but have it hang down instead of
"fro-ing" out? I'm guessing its shrinkage but i don't know what it is. I used KCCC last night and I get good curl definition but major shrinkage. Suggestions?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

How can I get my twist outs to hang down better? Empty Re: How can I get my twist outs to hang down better?

Post by sweetdrk1 20th November 2010, 7:25 pm

Hi,

I call my hair Sasha shrinkage because my shrinkage is like 90% lol! I just took my twist out as you can see in my avatar. The only way I get hang time is if I twist on dry hair. If it's wet or if I use a wet styler...I get a curly fro. So depending on the look I want I style accordingly. Try Dry Twisting that may help
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

How can I get my twist outs to hang down better? Empty Re: How can I get my twist outs to hang down better?

Post by Sebastain13 20th November 2010, 7:28 pm

Sweetdrk1 ur hair looks great I dont have enough for mine to hang yet but they will get there Crying or Very sad
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 20th November 2010, 7:38 pm

agreed on the dry twisting! (my avi is 2 strand twists on dry hair) It also helps if I use a heavier product...

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th November 2010, 8:06 pm

Kea::curls wrote:agreed on the dry twisting! (my avi is 2 strand twists on dry hair) It also helps if I use a heavier product...
hi Kea! I forgot to mention that part. I use butters when I twist because they help weigh the hair down if that makes sense.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th November 2010, 8:07 pm

Sebastain13 wrote:Sweetdrk1 ur hair looks great I dont have enough for mine to hang yet but they will get there Crying or Very sad
no sad face it will get there..before you know it and thanks!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 20th November 2010, 8:09 pm

Thank you guys for the answers! But how do you dry twist? Do I just braid my hair until it dries and then start twisting?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th November 2010, 8:20 pm

I usually do large twist and let it air dry. Then I make those twist smaller this way the hair is stretched which will minimize shrinkage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VoenLrIaqY
when I tried this technique they hang too. HTH
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 20th November 2010, 8:34 pm

Thanks @sweetdrk1! I really like the vid.
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 20th November 2010, 8:34 pm

She is one of my favorites!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 21st November 2010, 1:59 am

Natural while trying a strategy to "hide" parts in the back, I discovered this strategy also makes the twist out hang longer. If you twist horizontally instead of vertically, the hair covers the part beneath it and the twist out is more elongated. Hope I explained that in an understandable manner.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 21st November 2010, 3:59 am

NaturalSinceBirth wrote:Hey guys!

I wanted to know if theres a way for me to have a twist out but have it hang down instead of
"fro-ing" out? I'm guessing its shrinkage but i don't know what it is. I used KCCC last night and I get good curl definition but major shrinkage. Suggestions?

You may not want to two strand twist your hair with the gel if its giving you major hair shrinkage. Try twisting with oils and butters while its wet. That should reduce the shrinkage that you're having.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 21st November 2010, 6:54 pm

I also had this issue for a long time until I discoverd what a hair spritz is Smile
My spritz just contains water and moisturizer but it helps my twists to hang down.
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by Smooth Jazz Luvr 21st November 2010, 11:35 pm

One of the video presentations - apologize, but don't remember the name or individual - suggested using bobby pins at the root/scalp on each twist. I tried this; works great! My twist outs were like a 'fro' also before I started doing this, but now they hang much better.

Smooth Jazz Luvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Choctaw 22nd November 2010, 10:30 am

Emartini04 wrote:
NaturalSinceBirth wrote:Hey guys!

You may not want to two strand twist your hair with the gel if its giving you major hair shrinkage. Try twisting with oils and butters while its wet. That should reduce the shrinkage that you're having.

+1
I twisted wet hair last night with hemp seed oil. No gel was used, no major shrinkage, no crunchies today.

Choctaw

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 22nd November 2010, 1:16 pm

Choctaw - Did you only use the hemp seed oil-- no other product of any kind? I have some. I have been using it internally. It is really heavy. Do you think the weight contributed to your results? Also, curious to know what cleanser and conditioner(s) you used during this session.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly 22nd November 2010, 4:12 pm

@Choctaw how did your curl definition turn out?
QuirkyCurly
QuirkyCurly

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 22nd November 2010, 4:41 pm

♥️ this video, mad i just twisted my hair but will def try in a couple pf days. i love how you don't have to separate the twists at the end woot!
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfly3000 22nd November 2010, 6:44 pm

I use the little silver clips on the root and tip. After I twist, I put one clip at the root and then wrap the ends of my twist around another clip. There are several different types of those silver clips and I use the single clip not the double.
butterfly3000
butterfly3000

Back to top Go down

Post by SwirlyCurls90 22nd November 2010, 7:21 pm

I don't know if anybody's said this already, but have you tried flat twisting? If you flat twist dry hair using a heavier product like a butter, that should give you a lot more length on your twists Smile

SwirlyCurls90

Back to top Go down

Post by Choctaw 5th December 2010, 10:16 pm

I just saw responses to my post ... sorry for delay.

I usually twist after washing out henna or ayurvedic powders. My final rinse is usally acv diluted in hibiscus fenugreek tea or acv diluted in warm water and I don't rinse it out. I apply hemp seed or castor oil to wet hair, twist or braid and set ends on perm rods or do bantu knots. Sometimes I mix hemp and castor oil. I don't know if it makes a difference but I keep a small jar with hemp oil or a blend of oils in the refrigerator.

I get good curl definition. I have natural type 4 kinky hair.

It is cheaper and quicker to just use heavy oil on wet hair. I used gels mixed with leave-ins in the summer but the gels don't work as well in the winter.

Flat twisting with shealoe or heavy oils gives great results ... I hope to get better at flat twisting bounce bounce

Choctaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down