CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hair Butters

+17
happy2bcurly
exhale1913
misskris
1FlySista
CrissyQ
CarlaAR
Emartini04
summerbreeze76
LaToya28
yacoomba
Lynnieluve
Sebastain13
Umph
ladygogohot
amyleia
laleepop14
Curlock Holmes
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hair Butters Empty Hair Butters

Post by Curlock Holmes 16th November 2010, 3:03 am

A homemade product section! i'm very excited!!

Anyways, I want to start making my own whipped hair butters, but not sure of proportions and stuff. What are some of your recipes??
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Hair Butters Empty Re: Hair Butters

Post by laleepop14 16th November 2010, 11:17 am

I make this one whipped shea butter recipe that I love. Now I am not at all good with measurements so please bare with me...LOL. I have made it twice and both times it has been great and it lasts forever. I combine about 2 or 3 tablespoons of shea butter, about 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and a little lavender and peppermint oil. I put all of this in a bowl and get out my electric mixer and whip it all together until it is like a cake frosting consistency. I put it in one of my empty hair jar containers and put it in the fridge for a little bit (about an hour or so to let it harden some). It never melts and it is just like some products I have seen. I use it to moisturize, twist, braid, prepoo, pretty much whatever I need too..

Love it and love this section!!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by amyleia 16th November 2010, 2:52 pm

laleepop14 wrote:I make this one whipped shea butter recipe that I love. Now I am not at all good with measurements so please bare with me...LOL. I have made it twice and both times it has been great and it lasts forever. I combine about 2 or 3 tablespoons of shea butter, about 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, and a little lavender and peppermint oil. I put all of this in a bowl and get out my electric mixer and whip it all together until it is like a cake frosting consistency. I put it in one of my empty hair jar containers and put it in the fridge for a little bit (about an hour or so to let it harden some). It never melts and it is just like some products I have seen. I use it to moisturize, twist, braid, prepoo, pretty much whatever I need too..

Love it and love this section!!!!
I was about to try this but then i remembered that my dear bf has my shea butter. Crying or Very sad This is a great recipe tho and i will try it as soon as i get back my shea butter.And yay a thread homemade stuff woot!
amyleia
amyleia

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 16th November 2010, 5:29 pm

Here is mine :

I melt my shea butter on the stove, then i add a coconut oil, veggi glycerine, aloe vera gel, castorl oil ( garlic oil for shedding) and mix with my hand mixer. It comes out real fluffy and it last a long time .

Note: When you melt shea butter you get 5 times more and you can add whatever you like to it.

I use this as a moisturizer and it works really good ( just do not add to much oil if you don't want it to oily.

That is just one of my concoction.... i have a few Laughing
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 16th November 2010, 9:09 pm

ladygogohot wrote: Here is mine :

I melt my shea butter on the stove, then i add a coconut oil, veggi glycerine, aloe vera gel, castorl oil ( garlic oil for shedding) and mix with my hand mixer. It comes out real fluffy and it last a long time .

Note: When you melt shea butter you get 5 times more and you can add whatever you like to it.

I use this as a moisturizer and it works really good ( just do not add to much oil if you don't want it to oily.

That is just one of my concoction.... i have a few Laughing

Do you use for twist-outs?
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 17th November 2010, 12:06 pm

I have done the same thing as well jus take the shea butter & mix w/other oils that I have at hme I worked out well I have used it to seal my hair after washing as well as twist outs Worked good
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 17th November 2010, 12:34 pm

I got this mixture from Oooop2. It's the BEST mixture I've made for my hair. I will try new mixes and they never compare to this one.

3 tbsp of shea butter
1 tbsp of castor oil
1 tbsp of EVOO
1 tbsp of coconut oil

I also add a few drops of vitamin E and rosemary as a preservative.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by amyleia 17th November 2010, 1:00 pm

I mix about 2 tbsp of shea butter with about 2 tbsp of ORS Lock and twist gel for my twist.the consistency looks a little weird but it leaves my hair really soft and moisturized with a great hold.
amyleia
amyleia

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 19th November 2010, 5:13 am

Lynnieluve wrote:I got this mixture from Oooop2. It's the BEST mixture I've made for my hair. I will try new mixes and they never compare to this one.

3 tbsp of shea butter
1 tbsp of castor oil
1 tbsp of EVOO
1 tbsp of coconut oil

Lynnie-does your mix yield enough to fix into a 4oz or 8 oz container? I want to start mixing my own shea mix but want to make small batches to start off initially. Thnx in advance.
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 19th November 2010, 9:21 am

These are the measurements she gave me. I usually used 4oz of Shea butter. It will almost double the amount but I just eyeball it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 19th November 2010, 11:59 am

I thought you only needed a preservative if water was added? Bacteria can't grow without water, right??

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 19th November 2010, 12:37 pm

@ UMPG.. I use for twist outs as well as braid out, but it more of a moisturizer.... i am still looking for a good gel to hold my twist. i am going to try and make Flaxseed and see how that works.
ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 19th November 2010, 1:11 pm

LaToya28 wrote:I thought you only needed a preservative if water was added? Bacteria can't grow without water, right??

I don't know but I figure it wont hurt.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 19th November 2010, 10:45 pm

@Lynnie-t/u-I will try this recipe and see how much it produces and then modify from there the next batch.
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 21st November 2010, 9:12 pm

I made another batch of Shealoe today. I use it on my daughters hair.

4oz Shea butter
2oz Aloe Vera Gel
2TBS Coconut Oil
Essential Oil ( I used Lemon)
Few drops of Tea Tree Oil to Preserve

I also decided to make the Mango Butter since i had it. Ive never used it in my hair, so we will see. It has a slightly stiffer texture, it took more rounds with the mixer than the Shea. I couldnt find any specific recipes for it so i just went with the same as the Shealoe, but added the Avocado Oil to help it smoothen some. It looks good, cant wait to use it.

4oz Mango Butter
2oz Aloe Vera Gel
2 Tbs Coconut Oil
1tsp of Avocado Oil
Few Drops of Tea tree oil to preserve
Essential Oil (Tangerine)

The last time i mixed butters i also made Shea-Cocoa butter. I love this stuff. I havent used it in a while, but i used it to twist my hair. The smell was wonderful. I only stopped using it because i have so many other things that i have ordered. Today i started reconsidering Black Friday, cuz this is getting just a bit ridiculous. I have hair butters from KBN, which i luv, Karen's BB, which if Im being fair i must say i havent given a real chance, im thinking i will use it up on my daughters hair. It seems that since i can make some of this stuff I start to feel guilty for buying it. It would take me months to use up what i have and before that can happend I always find other things i would like to try. So i guess i will have to have great will power on Friday.....

Anyway give these a try. If anyone wants the recipe for the Cocoa Butter/shea concoction, let me know.
summerbreeze76
summerbreeze76

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 28th November 2010, 3:26 am

Lynnieluve wrote:I got this mixture from Oooop2. It's the BEST mixture I've made for my hair. I will try new mixes and they never compare to this one.

3 tbsp of shea butter
1 tbsp of castor oil
1 tbsp of EVOO
1 tbsp of coconut oil

This sounds good. I must try this one out soon.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 30th November 2010, 11:03 pm

I recently feel in love with cupuacu butter. I melted and mixed it with other oils as I would shea butter. It actually left my hair softer and with more slip than shea butter. I will need to order more of this since I'm using it on my skin too! dance
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 2nd December 2010, 6:19 pm

3 tbsp of shea butter
1 tbsp of castor oil
1 tbsp of EVOO
1 tbsp of coconut oil

Very similar to what i use to twist my hair, instead of castor oil I use sweet almond oil. My hair loves it.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 2nd December 2010, 6:59 pm

Homemade Whipped Curly Buttercreme

2 ozs. room temperature unrefined Shea Butter
1 oz. melted 100% Natural Cocoa Butter
½ cup of Worlds of Curls Curl Activator gel (omit in Curly Buttercreme recipe)
1 Tbs. Raw Honey
1 Tbs. Cornstarch
2 Tbs. of Unrefined Coconut oil
½ Tbs. EVOO
1 Tbs. Safflower oil (contains Vitamin E)
½ Tbs. Avocado oil
*Note: You are free to choose your own oil types. Just be mindful of the quantity of oil so as not to create a super greasy product. The oils should only compliment the butters.
1 Heaping Tbs. Aloe Vera Gel
¾ cup Alcohol free Maximum Hold Styling gel (use only in Curly Buttercreme recipe)
Electric hand mixer
Rubber spatula
Empty container(s) with sealable lid

Instructions:
Daily Moisturizing Shea Soufflè

In a non-metal bowl add Shea butter, Cocoa butter, honey, all oils, cornstarch, and Aloe Vera gel. Use electric mixer to mix ingredients for 8-10 minutes minimum to achieve a whipped crème consistency. Add curl activator gel to mixture and mix for an additional 1-2 minutes. Use spatula to transfer mixture to container and seal. Store mixture in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight for best results) or until solid and creamy. Apply and style as desired. Makes approximately 10 ozs. of product.

Curly Buttercreme

In a non-metal bowl add Shea butter, Cocoa butter, honey, all oils, cornstarch, and Aloe Vera gel. Use electric mixer to mix ingredients for 8-10 minutes minimum to achieve a whipped crème consistency. Add maximum hold styling gel to mixture and mix for an additional 1-2 minutes. Use spatula to transfer mixture to container and seal. Store mixture in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight for best results) or until solid and creamy. Apply and style as desired. Makes approximately 12 ozs. of product.

Review these great vids!:

How to preserve your natural homemade hair products
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THSkQLyDQ5Q

Homemade Whipped Shea Butter mix tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swH4XPVNAxA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Ok14CgADM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJBWR2s1km4

Last edited by 1FlySista on 2nd January 2011, 6:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 2nd December 2010, 10:20 pm

Hey again 1Flysista!!! So this sounds like an interesting recipe too. What if I didn't want to use the curl activator gel? What would it come out like, harder?? I dunnom when you say curl activator gel all I can think of is Jheri Curl!!! LMAO!! You got this recipe from one of those youtube vids you have links for?? Anything more simple??? LOL
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista 2nd December 2010, 11:30 pm

lol - Girl, you can do this however you want to, that is the beauty of making your own products. You add or omit what fits your personal hair needs. If you don't use certain types of ingredients or products it is cool to leave them out or make a substitution. Get creative with your favorite ingredients and find your personal mix. I have to say though, folks are out here sleeping on Jheri Curl products. I simply adore Care Free Curl, Hawaiian Silky and Worlds of Curls products. Not the new school stuff either, the OLD SCHOOL activators, gels, and moisturizers. The products were formulated for curly afro-textured hair. It works whether the hair is chemically curled or naturally curled. If you do an ingredient comparison you will see a lot of the higher priced lines have the same or equivalents, with the exception of the all natural and vegan lines. Chile, I've never had more softer, moisturized, manageable hair since I added Jheri curl products into my regimen. When other naturals clown it, I LOVE it because that means more for me and that the prices will stay low. Soon as too many people get up on it, the prices will rise. I've seen it happen with other products. LOL!
1FlySista
1FlySista

http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 3rd December 2010, 12:09 am

Hhaahahahaha!!! well, maybe one day I will look at the ingredients and compare to something else I do like!!! but i can see what you mean about the low prices. but apparently enough people are still using that stuff since they keep making/selling it!!! LOL afro
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 3rd December 2010, 12:24 am

@ Summerbreeze, I like the recipes you gave too. So what IS the shea-cocoa butter recipe?? I would to see that one!!!

I never knew that when people mentioned "shealoe" they were referring to homemade butters!!! that's awesome! I just thought that was some brand name!!!
lol!
misskris
misskris

Back to top Go down

Post by amyleia 7th December 2010, 2:40 pm

I just made a batch of my own whipped shea butter. I used
3 Tbsp of mango scented shea butter
1 tbsp of grapeseed oil
1/2 Tbsp of sweet almond oil,glycerin and Castor oil
1 tsp of olive oil

I whipped it up for about 10 minutes or until it looked like butter icing. i didnt add any fragrance oils seeing that the shea butter is already scented. It very soft and it melts really easy and absorbs very fast. i think i will definitely be making more of this in the future.
amyleia
amyleia

Back to top Go down

Post by exhale1913 7th December 2010, 5:05 pm

1FlySista wrote:Homemade Whipped Curly Buttercreme

2 ozs. room temperature unrefined Shea Butter
1 oz. melted 100% Natural Cocoa Butter
½ cup of Worlds of Curls Curl Activator gel (or curl activator gel of choice)
1 Tbs. Raw Honey
2 Tbs. of Virgin Coconut oil
½ Tbs. Castor oil
1 Tbs. Safflower oil (contains Vitamin E)
½ Tbs. Jojoba oil
*Note: You are free to choose your own oil types. Just be mindful of the quantity of oil so as not to create a super greasy product. The oils should only compliment the butters.
1 Heaping Tbs. Aloe Vera Gel
¾ cup Alcohol free Maximum Hold Styling gel (Use only in Curly Buttercreme recipe)
Electric hand mixer
Rubber spatula
Empty container(s) with sealable lid

Instructions:
Daily Moisturizing Shea Soufflè

In a non-metal bowl add Shea butter, Cocoa butter, honey, all oils, and Aloe Vera gel. Use electric mixer to mix ingredients for 8-10 minutes minimum to achieve a whipped crème consistency. Add curl activator gel to mixture and mix for an additional 1-2 minutes. Use spatula to transfer mixture to container and seal. Store mixture in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight for best results) or until solid and creamy. Apply and style as desired. Makes approximately 10 ozs. of product.

Curly Buttercreme

In a non-metal bowl add Shea butter, Cocoa butter, honey, all oils, curl activator gel, and Aloe Vera gel. Use electric mixer to mix ingredients for 8-10 minutes minimum to achieve a whipped crème consistency. Add maximum hold styling gel to mixture and mix for an additional 1-2 minutes. Use spatula to transfer mixture to container and seal. Store mixture in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight for best results) or until solid and creamy. Apply and style as desired. Makes approximately 12 ozs. of product.

Review these great vids!:

How to preserve your natural homemade hair products
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THSkQLyDQ5Q

Homemade Whipped Shea Butter mix tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swH4XPVNAxA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Ok14CgADM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJBWR2s1km4

Have you ever used the curly buttercreme for a twist out? If so, does it give good hold and definition? Also what kind of aloe vera gel do you use? I'm very interested in giving this one a try...
exhale1913
exhale1913

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next