CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I chose to go natural... what made you all decide?

+24
swt_sunny
MsToadieB
PanaR3dd
Ladybug83
Sebastain13
jeanlouisangel
j. kinky
QuirkyCurly
chAKAlatecurlz
OneOfTheGreatOnes
dakotab
Curly Film Chick
NaturallyStacie
Emartini04
thetiffany
laleepop14
Tnt38
letha
naturally yours
Annapolitan
rayray19
naturalesque
BajanPrincess82
Color_Me_Coily
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why I chose to go natural... what made you all decide? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why I chose to go natural... what made you all decide?

Post by tpayne22 17th November 2010, 1:54 am

Well I decided on a whim to get a partially sew in for my bff baby shower in miami and plus I wanted longer hair. My hair has always been long but I could never achieve my old lengths...Well 2 months later I took it out and went straight in the shower not knowing you had to comb out that shedded hair so it wouldn't mat! Lets just say WWIII up in my head lol. It took me a grand total of 5 hours ( Yes 5 freaking hours and one sore head later ) to take out the weave, wash, detangle blow dry, and flat iron. I had huge palm size balls of hair left over! I was just like this is stupid.That five hours gone and spent on nothing constructive. I'm so type A and plan my life to the minutes, so time is of the essence for me! Then I had a epiphany that my hair was weak and thin and very damaged and needed ALOT of manipulation to get it the way I liked it. I struggled with my decision but I stumbled on CN.com and became so inspired by the ladies on here and realized that my fear of going natural was my own insecurities and wanted to do this for myself and challenge me and my self esteem! Its funny because as I got in middle to HS and now in college I always always wanted to have thick curly hair that could go both ways with cool styling options. Its funny because I had it on my head the entire time!! Reunited and it feels so good lol Smile
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Why I chose to go natural... what made you all decide? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why I chose to go natural... what made you all decide?

Post by OneOfTheGreatOnes 17th November 2010, 10:29 am

chAKAlatecurlz wrote:
OneOfTheGreatOnes wrote:My decision is similar to laleepop and thetiffany.

When I got pregnant last year of course I couldn't get perms anymore. It didn't bother me and I decided to cut my my hair short (I've always loved short funky hair). When daughter was around 7 months or so I was on a major search (by the way I'm still searching) for products for her fine, frizzy, dry curly hair. During that time I went to a friends house (she is natural) to get my hair washed and pressed. When she washed my hair she couldn't believe that my hair was curly and said "wow your hair looks like mine". I guess I BC'd and didn't know it! lol

The search for hair products for my lil one, my friends comments and GA humidity all contributed to my decision to wear my hair naturally.

I owe all that I am to my daughter! If it wasn't for her I'm not sure I of had the courage to go natural.

God definitely knows what he is doing!

Wow, I totally agree! I am 7 months pregnant and I've been relaxer free for 8 months..lol At first that was because of my pregnancy but now I'm loving and getting used to my curls. Just trying to find a good regimen to meet my hair needs without the BC...??

Good luck on your search to find a regimen. I'm still working on mine but I love the process.

Oh, and I absolutely love your avatar!! And welcome to Motherhood!!
Very Happy
OneOfTheGreatOnes
OneOfTheGreatOnes

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 17th November 2010, 12:05 pm

My hair doesn't like relaxers so I had no other choice. It works out for me because I've always loved big and natural hair.
luvinlife225
luvinlife225

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Tee 17th November 2010, 6:23 pm

I just got tired-

tired of worrying about ingreds
processes & how long to leave this & that in
when to rinse
how long to rinse
tired of heat
tired of the time-consumption
tired of WORRY!!!

even though this may not be as conventional as other styles of hair
I am 45 years young
& decided to just not give a heezy
who liked it or not-

This is ME!
I accept me as I am-
so should every one else!

Sweet Tee
Sweet Tee

Back to top Go down

Post by chAKAlatecurlz 18th November 2010, 3:30 am

OneOfTheGreatOnes wrote:
chAKAlatecurlz wrote:
OneOfTheGreatOnes wrote:My decision is similar to laleepop and thetiffany.

When I got pregnant last year of course I couldn't get perms anymore. It didn't bother me and I decided to cut my my hair short (I've always loved short funky hair). When daughter was around 7 months or so I was on a major search (by the way I'm still searching) for products for her fine, frizzy, dry curly hair. During that time I went to a friends house (she is natural) to get my hair washed and pressed. When she washed my hair she couldn't believe that my hair was curly and said "wow your hair looks like mine". I guess I BC'd and didn't know it! lol

The search for hair products for my lil one, my friends comments and GA humidity all contributed to my decision to wear my hair naturally.

I owe all that I am to my daughter! If it wasn't for her I'm not sure I of had the courage to go natural.

God definitely knows what he is doing!

Wow, I totally agree! I am 7 months pregnant and I've been relaxer free for 8 months..lol At first that was because of my pregnancy but now I'm loving and getting used to my curls. Just trying to find a good regimen to meet my hair needs without the BC...??

Good luck on your search to find a regimen. I'm still working on mine but I love the process.

Oh, and I absolutely love your avatar!! And welcome to Motherhood!!
Very Happy

Thank u so much, im super excited Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
chAKAlatecurlz
chAKAlatecurlz

Back to top Go down

Post by j. kinky 18th November 2010, 2:01 pm

i want to read more of ur stories!!!

BUMP
j. kinky
j. kinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephy0306 18th November 2010, 2:52 pm

Ok well what made me decide to go natural i would have to say basically because i wanted my hair to be more healthy. I find that with perms my hair wasnt thin but i felt like my hair was just growing but not at its best potential which is healthy. And plus i started watching youtube videos and happen to come acroos videos about tranistioners and how lovely they hair looked in braid outs and pure natural ladies as well. I was so surpised to see how beautilful African Americans hahir texture is, i had no idea we had such curly hair and the possibilies we could do to our hair. Growing up hair with out a perm was just considered nappy. But now that i saw all the you tube videos, keeping your hair well conditioned and moisturized can really bring out those beautiful curls we have naturally and not be nappy. Also after having my daughter i fell in love with her curly texture as well. And i had a great idea, like mother like daughter, we both are going to be natural so one day i can show her how beautiful her hair is because i dont plan to ever put perms in her hair.

I also fell inlove with the wash and gos on youtube and i always wanted to just do that to my hair and always asked why i couldnt. i love curly hair and now im ready to embrace it and show other women just how beautiful our hair really is just like the next girl. Very Happy

Stephy0306

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2