CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone decide to go natural after seeing "Good Hair"?

+8
Beautifulyfe
CurlyChefRobin
NaturallyPrecious
lumii
quirky_curls
Ms.Fenty
Niqui36
tweedledee
12 posters

Go down

Anyone decide to go natural after seeing "Good Hair"? Empty Anyone decide to go natural after seeing "Good Hair"?

Post by tweedledee 18th July 2010, 11:30 am

I was scared out of my mind about getting a relaxer after seeing Chris Rock's documentary. Anyone else? Or has anyone decided to go natural because of any other reason besides damaged hair?
tweedledee
tweedledee

Back to top Go down

Anyone decide to go natural after seeing "Good Hair"? Empty Re: Anyone decide to go natural after seeing "Good Hair"?

Post by Niqui36 18th July 2010, 12:11 pm

I knew I wanted to be natural before I actually saw the movie. I already knew about the harshness of the chemicals. His movie just reinforced what I knew. I've always loved natural hair and I went natural because of damage to my temple area. The rest of my hair was always healthy though. I also went natural because of my daughter. I want her to know that what God blessed her with is good stuff! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Niqui36
Niqui36

Back to top Go down

Anyone decide to go natural after seeing "Good Hair"? Empty Re: Anyone decide to go natural after seeing "Good Hair"?

Post by Ms.Fenty 18th July 2010, 12:33 pm

I didn't decide to go natural because of the movie, but it set my decision in stone. I always hated the process of relaxing because I always got badly burned, so even though my hair wasn't doing too bad I decided to go natural. But then I saw the part of the movie when the sodium hydroxide burned straight through the chicken and the soda cans, and I said "never again". Now I cringe every time I even see a box of relaxer
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by tweedledee 18th July 2010, 1:32 pm

Yep, that chicken scene is BURNED into my memory forever and ever!
tweedledee
tweedledee

Back to top Go down

Post by quirky_curls 18th July 2010, 4:42 pm

A seed was planted after i watched the movie. I began asking questions and having conversations with natural ladies i knew, and more seeds were planted. Then my sister-in-law (tweddledee [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) decided to transition and that did it! The thought of not having to transition alone was comforting and encouraging to me! I began researching and made my decision. I'm only 6 wks in, but i'm happy i finally made the decision to go natural!!!
btw: i totally agree about the scene with the chicken and soda can!!
quirky_curls
quirky_curls

Back to top Go down

Post by lumii 18th July 2010, 5:44 pm

I'd been natural before I saw it but since the movie came up and I watched Chris on the Tyra show and everything that I started embracing my hair as it is..
I think I'm now relaaxer-traumatized since I saw the chicken scene! NEVER EVER EVER in my life am I going to put that on my head!
lumii
lumii

Back to top Go down

Post by NaturallyPrecious 18th July 2010, 6:10 pm

Yeah I was toying with the idea before the movie. You know transitioning my mind first. Made the decision tentatively, but was solid in my making my choice after seeing the infamous chemical scene.
NaturallyPrecious
NaturallyPrecious

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyChefRobin 18th July 2010, 10:26 pm

I think the movie planted the seed in my head and now I am 18 weeks post relaxer. My best friend just decided to transition and the movie played a big role in her decision.
CurlyChefRobin
CurlyChefRobin

http://www.cookingwithcareonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautifulyfe 18th July 2010, 11:01 pm

Someone who saw the movie at a film fest probably close to a year before it came out told me about it. He told me about all the effects and how stupid it is to use perms to feel beautiful when you are really harming yourself. So that gave me the push I needed, but I always wanted to go natural just never had the guts to do so.
Beautifulyfe
Beautifulyfe

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 18th July 2010, 11:36 pm

Nope, I was already natural and very well educated about how to care for natural hair when I saw the movie, so Good Hair didn't really tell me anything that I didn't already know, which could be a reason why I wasn't too impressed with the movie. Or it could be that 95% movies and television shows nowadays just suck ass. tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by tweedledee 19th July 2010, 1:51 am

quirky_curls wrote:A seed was planted after i watched the movie. I began asking questions and having conversations with natural ladies i knew, and more seeds were planted. Then my sister-in-law (tweddledee [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ) decided to transition and that did it! The thought of not having to transition alone was comforting and encouraging to me! I began researching and made my decision. I'm only 6 wks in, but i'm happy i finally made the decision to go natural!!!
btw: i totally agree about the scene with the chicken and soda can!!

Very Happy
tweedledee
tweedledee

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperBadd 19th July 2010, 4:41 pm

I didnt' go natural because of the movie but I totally agree with @tweedledee...the chicken scene had me scared because it really looked like flesh and to see the effect happen right before your eyes...OMG!!!! One stylist told me back in 2006 that I did not need a relaxer but because I was returning to a climate where my hair was unmanageable due to the humidity, I felt like this was the best way...and boy should I have listened..Even in 2007, I found a hairstylist who kept my hair healthy in Atlanta w/o a relaxer, I went 8 months w/o one until I returned to the humidity climate where I relaxed again...finally, a year ago I said i'm done!! I couldn't take the burns anymore and decided to go natural.....

SuperBadd

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 19th July 2010, 6:38 pm

I had already decided to transition my hair about 3 weeks before I saw good hair. I figured one night id rent it from the redbox and watch it while I did my braid out.
It just sealed the deal for me about going natural bc i wasnt 100% sure I wanted to do this.
Now im sold!

chynadoll8799

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 19th July 2010, 7:45 pm

I actually been natural for 7 years but just saw Good Hair for the first time last week. And it makes me just shake my head that I had those chemicals in my hair as long as I did. And what really got me was the where Indain Hair came from and how the people donating it to the temple gods have no clue that the temple is selling it. I mean that movie came out 3 years ago, and I've noticed more natural styles (real or fake) and usually the kinky wigs or weave are synthetic, wonder why they don't sell our hair in human hair nature? (rhetorical question)
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down