CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detangling

+3
swt_sunny
letha
ThatGirl!
7 posters

Go down

Detangling Empty Detangling

Post by ThatGirl! 15th November 2010, 10:38 am

I washed my hair yesterday trying to use the method described on the tightlycurly.com website. It was a disaster. I pulled out so much of my hair! It was so tangled. I am 5 months into my transition and the detangling has been horrible. It is taking me up to 4 hours to detangling sometimes and I am still losing massive amounts of hair. Luckly I have very thick and long hair so the lost is not noticeable. Is my hair so tangled because of the relaxed ends or am I not doing something right? I tried to comb from the ends up and I tried to use a wide tooth comb, and the Denman but they don't work that well. I had to end of detangling it with my fingers. My hair is not tangle from the root till about 2 or 3 inches and then it is in massive tangles that a very rough. My hair has always been hard to detangle even in the relaxer days but yesterday was by far the worst tangling experience I have every had in my life. I almost shed a tear yesterday. It was very upsetting. And I am still upset about it this morning. Any help???? confused

ThatGirl!

Back to top Go down

Detangling Empty Re: Detangling

Post by letha 15th November 2010, 11:13 am

Did you put loads of conditioner in your hair and try to detangle in the shower.. I usually use Aussie Moist, Tressmme Naturals or Herbal Essence or Suave Shea and Almond butter.. I focus on the NG putting a lot of conditioner on those areas as well as the rest of my hair. Sometime washing your hair in 4 sections cuts down on the tangles. Some women detangle b4 they wash in then put their hair in 4 plaits and wash it or co-wash it like that..

Sometimes doing a Pre-poo treatment will help with detangling.. Using any one of those conditioners above I mentioned or your favorite b4 you shampoo or co-wash and let that sit on your hair for as long as you like then proceed to wash or shampoo..

For me I noticed when I use shampoo now I am transitioning that I get more tangles so I just co-wash now and use no shampoo..

Sorry this you are having these issues
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by swt_sunny 15th November 2010, 1:45 pm

Letha is right - loads of conditioner always help me! Also adding EVOO as a pre poo has been extremely beneficial for me. Not sure how long your hair is, but you might want to consider snipping some of those relaxed ends off (not a big chop) but I've noticed that even when I've done mini trims of an inch here or there that that helps cut down on the detangling time because there is less relaxed hair to deal with.

swt_sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by ThatGirl! 15th November 2010, 2:00 pm

I will try the EVOO next time.

ThatGirl!

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 15th November 2010, 3:21 pm

Once you get further along in your journey those two textures can be torture. That was one of my reasons for BC ing at the spur of the moment, My natural new growth was a breeze to deal with but as soon as I would get to the line of demarcation(where the two textures meet) it would become a nightmare.It sounds like you are still transitioning but I would also suggest detangling in sections if you are already not. I have found this to be a lifesaver also as far as detangling, when I was transitioning and now that Im natural. But yeah I was washing my hair one day and I just got soooo fed up with those two textures and I was like eff it and did my BC..

And like some of the other girls said prepooing and loads of conditioner (or ones with great slip) are some good ideas also.
I think that once you have a good detangling routine it will get much easier..Sorry for the frustration, hope this helped some
Now that I am fully natural and have a routine, detangling has become much easier to do..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 15th November 2010, 5:32 pm

ThatGirl, I can imagine the frustration you felt. Sorry, you had that experience. The advice the ladies gave is excellent. I just want to add this to the recipe----PREVENTION or at least minimizing tangles:

1. Know what is in your products. You can have all the interventions in the world, but if you are using a product that causes tangles, you are working against yourself.

2. Always cleanse in the shower and don't pile the hair on top of your hair. Let gravity work for you.

3. Use a solid detangler/leave in like Kinky Curly Knot Today (It has great slip and continues to work throughout the week) You can also make a moisturizing detangling leave-in called Kimmaytube Leave-in at youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXi2k4cFFhI. You don't have to have a scale and ph paper. However, I highly recommend using the leave-in she specified.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 15th November 2010, 5:37 pm

Use loadssss of conditioner. Maybe seeing a professional stylist and explaining this constant problem of hair detangling may be a good idea.
Emartini04
Emartini04

Back to top Go down

Detangling Empty UPDATE

Post by ThatGirl! 22nd November 2010, 2:24 pm

Well I am happy to say that I washed my hair this past Friday and it turned out so much better. I am at 5 months of transistioning and I am learning I have to do what works with my hair and not necessarily what every else is doing on the message boards. I realized I have to dry detangle my hair because once it gets wet there ain't enough conditioner in the world to detangle it. I no dry detangling is a no no to alot of people but it is what works for me. First I finger detangle in and then use a wide tooth comb. I had some hair come out but NO WHERE near the debacle I had the last time. I purchased a Quidad comb on Saturday and I will use that next time I wash. I also used the products that my hair seem to respond to the best and I am trying to tame my PJism. I did a braid out and it turned out wonderfully. Now I just got to find a style that I like wearing instead of pulling it back in a pony all the time Very Happy.

ThatGirl!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakura 23rd November 2010, 1:20 pm

I agree loads of conditioner helps.

But have you tried washing your hair in sections? I separate my hair into 4-8 sections. Then I shampoo- add a bit of conditioner before rinsing. Then rinse. After that I add conditioner to each section and let it sit for a minute to soften the hair. Then undo each section one by one and detangle from the ends to roots.

for me this has drastically cut down on tangles and loss of hair and the amount of time it takes me to detangle. Perhaps washing and detangling in sections will work for you.
Sakura
Sakura

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down