CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein Treatments & Henna

3 posters

Go down

Protein Treatments & Henna Empty Protein Treatments & Henna

Post by freckledmom4 11th November 2010, 8:11 pm

I henna about twice a month on average and I also use amla to deep condition. Before I started henna'ing on a regular basis, I would do protein treatments every 6-8 weeks, but have slacked off because I thought they were doing the same thing. After my wash and amla dc last night, I noticed that my ends were feeling a bit rough and that there were some broken pieces of hair-*gasp.* So I was thinking that I need to do a protein treatment, but I'm afraid of pushing my strands into protein overload. What do you think? Do you henna and use protein and what affect does it have on your hair? I am not protein sensitive by the way.
freckledmom4
freckledmom4

Back to top Go down

Protein Treatments & Henna Empty Re: Protein Treatments & Henna

Post by naturallynola 11th November 2010, 9:53 pm

My disclaimer is I am still researching to prepare myself for my first henna. However, everything I have come across warns not to use protein during the same session as doing a henna. Yes, henna is used for color, but it is also used for conditioning (strengthening) the hair. I don't know what you add to your henna b/c everyone has their individual henna recipe, but yogurt, eggs, and things on that order are protein and any added protein is too much. Even if you did not add those ingredients, moisturizing/deep conditioning treatment is what is recommended post henna. I don't equate rough ends with protein deficiency. Usually rough ends can be nursed by to health by TLC with conditioner/moisturizer/protective styling. Is only the end rough or do you notice that problem along the strand? Is it just rough or is there breakage? Is this a sudden observation? Preliminarily, I would say do a very good deep moisturizing conditioner (with a stellar product), with heat (I typically use the hot towel and cap method) and leave it on for about 1 hour. Apply extra condish to the ends and see what happens. You can also "baggy" the ends at night. Let us know what you decide to do and the outcome.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by raina 13th November 2010, 9:36 am

Hi ! I agree with naturalnola(excellent advice by the way) Henna is very drying and if you are doing treatments twice a month you definitly need to be doing some deep moisturizing conditioning to get that moisture back into your hair.
raina
raina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down