CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protein Treatments

5 posters

Go down

Protein Treatments Empty Protein Treatments

Post by Ms.Fenty 30th May 2010, 6:09 pm

I am extremely confused about protein, the only thing I know is that if your hair is breaking, you probably need a protein treatment. Some say that when transitioning, you should do a protein treatment once a month, but I've also seen girls say that it needs to be done every other week. How do you really know if you need a protein treatment, and about how often should it be done?
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Protein Treatments Empty Re: Protein Treatments

Post by ultinaturaldiva 31st May 2010, 1:13 pm

Hey Ms. Fenty,

Just a few lines... Breakage may be as a result of over-manipulation or dryness, not necessarily a protein deficiency. Protein treatments like one in the Aphogee line, should only be done every 6 weeks. Many conditioning products meant to treat, contain some measure of protein in the ingredient list and if you are sensitive to it, it may well cause you further breakage.

I tend to do more moisturizing treatments for my type 4a-b hair (maybe 4-c lol) and less protein treatments, because I feel that generally, hair tends to lack more moisture than it does protein. In addition, whenever I do a protein treatment of any kind, I always follow with a moisturizing treatment to re-balance the PH of my hair and I always, always, seal with oil (coconut/castor), as a final step.

Good luck wth your journey!

ultinaturaldiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 31st May 2010, 3:30 pm

Thanks for your input, I don't manipulate my hair a lot now, but I did when I first started out (straightened hair = daily manipulation). I do use the Aphogee protein treatment and I thought if you were still relaxing it should be done about every six weeks, but I wasn't sure about transitioning hair. But I still don't know how to determine the whole protein-moisture balance thing... Has anyone heard of a snap test....
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mllebutterfly 19th July 2010, 11:27 am

Hmmm... I'm curious about protein, also. I don't want to use Aphogee but, I wou like to try Aubrey organics GPB's shampoo and conditioner. Has anyone tried this?

Mllebutterfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 19th July 2010, 1:49 pm

Here is the link to a great article about balancing moisture and protein:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by krys419 19th July 2010, 5:21 pm

What really sucks about my hair is that my natrual hair loves loves the moisture and can use some more, but the permed hair gets squishy and stretchy. My natural hair gets just enough but could use more, while the permed hair gets too much. It really is difficult. I think I will only put deep condition on my roots and ends, and a cheapy conditioning on the rest of strand

As for protein, I use a protein that is infused with moisturizing properties as well so it is gentle on my new growth and my permed hair loves it. So I'm pretty good on the protein. I was my hair about every 10 days. I actually always use my IC Fantasia Super Concentrated reconstuctor after my prepoo of coconut oil and shampoo. Then I deep condition. After 10 days I do the reconstructor again if I need it. Then I use CHI INfra treatment (helps prevent damage from heat). Then I would do a deep condish again. now I will start just using a cheapy condish on the middle and DC on roots and ends

Hope I helped. So I use DC and protein every 10 days and the CHI infra treatment once a month. I'm not sure if the CHI treatment or IC has more protein. All i know is that out my 3 or 4 washes in a month one of them is double protein (IC and CHI). And out of my 3 or 4 washes all of them have a conditioning. And in between those 10 days I remoisturize my hair ever 2 or 3 days

If your hair is crunchy it needs moisture. if your hair is stretchy it needs protein. Take 2 stands of hair that have shedded. drop one in a cup of water. if it sinks that means it soaked up moisture because it is thirsty. if it floats that means it has enough moisture. Now the other strand take it and try to break it. if it stretches then breaks it is too moisturized and needs protein. If it breaks without you doing anything to it then it needs some moisture. if it snaps after a little pull then it's moisture/protein balance is just right

krys419

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 26th July 2010, 10:32 pm

thanks for the link NaturallyEsq, its very informative. From the look and feel of my hair, it seems like I'm not in need of anything, so I'm not gonna mess with it. Maybe I don't have to use protein treatments if I'm not having any issues but, I've read that you're supposed to if your relaxed or transitioning but Idk.....
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 27th July 2010, 7:09 am

I am glad that you enjoyed the article. As they say, if it ain"t broke...
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down