CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ayurvedic products

+7
krazy coils
blkbeauty2010
Alanija
CrissyQ
naturallynola
Choctaw
CrAvInG_CuRlZ:)
11 posters

Go down

ayurvedic products Empty ayurvedic products

Post by CrAvInG_CuRlZ:) 11th November 2010, 9:52 am

So decided that I want to try out a ayurvedic regimen and see how my hair likes it. I bought some powders and oils to try out (Hesh brand) but I later realized that they contain mineral oil. So is this bad for my hair? Do any of you ladies use these products and what kind of results have you had? Are these products he exception to the mineral oil rule?

Back to top Go down

ayurvedic products Empty Re: ayurvedic products

Post by Choctaw 11th November 2010, 10:10 am

I bought an amla oil and discovered it had mineral & canola oils in it. I use it to pre-oil hair for conditioner washes or do oil rinses when my hair is full of maka/cassia/henna powder. You can point the mineral oil towards the drain and get a temporary use out of it Very Happy

Choctaw

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola 11th November 2010, 10:12 am

Craving Curlz, Personally, I have sworn off mineral oil. If I see it on an ingredient list, I move on. I too am dabbling in the world of ayurveda, but that is why I seek out the powders or the herbs and either use them as a paste or make my own infusion. Many of their oils tend to incorporate mineral oil.

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 11th November 2010, 10:24 am

I have used the amla with mineral oil, i guess its just your prefrence. I have not seen a change in my hair with using mineral oil, I am not afraid of it. I just let my hair tell me if it likes it or not. That is the only product i use with it in there.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Alanija 11th November 2010, 10:59 am

I have the amla with mineral oil, and had I read before buying that mineral oil was an ingredient I wouldn't have purchased it. I use it as a pre-poo on my hair making sure not to get any on my scalp because I read it's okay for the hair but can smother the scalp. But I'm kinda on the fence about the whole mineral oil thing and am leaning more on the side of using what my hair likes and not following the rules. As long as we're buying products others have made, how can we be absolutely sure what is or is not in them anyway? The ingredients list is not always truthful, take TW's Protective Mist Bodifier for example. Works just fine for my hair old ingredient list and new.
Alanija
Alanija

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 11th November 2010, 11:28 am

what is the "myth" about mineral oil and hair? what is it supposed to do (advantages/disadvantages)
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 11th November 2010, 12:10 pm

CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 11th November 2010, 1:25 pm

I agree you should use products your hair likes. I use both the Amla (pre-poo) and Brahmi oil (scalp massage and add to conditioners) which contain mineral oil and have had no problems with them. You just have to make sure that you clarify your hair at some point.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 11th November 2010, 2:23 pm

hey KC, how do you use the oils with your conditioners
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 11th November 2010, 3:04 pm

CrissyQ wrote:hey KC, how do you use the oils with your conditioners

When I deep condition my hair I just add oil to the conditioner in a separate container. If I co-wash I sometimes add oil to the conditoner also.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 11th November 2010, 3:09 pm

If you don't want the oils with the mineral oils I seen some you-tube videos on how to make your own oil.. Some people use coconut oil as the base. I head sesame oil was a good base to use also..Also some ladies use little crockpots and simmer on low all day for their oils and then strain to get the powders out.. I thought about making an oil like that with and without the powders.. The ones without the powders I thought about putting hebes like hosetail, burdockroot and other herbs I may have around
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 11th November 2010, 3:18 pm

Here is a Recipe I got off a blog..

Brahmi Hair Oil Recipe

Hot oil treatment on hair is a weekly routine that will help the total health of your hair. A homemade hair oil recipe is explained below. I hope you all know the benefits of brahmi. Brahmi is a medicinal plant which is a known memory enhancer. The leaf of brahmi was used from olden days to enhance hair growth. Yes it is very helpful to increase hair growth. I explained about brahmi hair growth pack in an earlier post. Now here is the brahmi hair oil recipe:

Homemade Hair oil with Brahmi
In this topic I say oil means your favorite oil you use on your hair, may be coconut oil, olive oil etc. So now you are going to see how to prepare brahmi hair oil at home.

What are the ingredients and how to prepare:Choose an oil to prepare. Take 0ne cup oil say coconut oil in a heating pan or pot. Now add brahmi powder 5 to 10 tsp. Mix it with oil. Now you can start heating the oil in low flame. When it starts to fume just put few grains of fenugreek to the hot oil and watch the fenugreek pops up, at this point switch off flame. Don't allow the brahmi paste to become too dark or black, before that just switch off the flame. Allow it to cool. Then sieve the oil into a glass or ceramic bottle. Your hair growth enhancer-homemade brahmi hair oil is ready.

Whenever you want to use oil on your hair just take few tsp. of homemade brahmi hair oil and heat it. Apply the warm oil on hair and do simple massage. Leave it for another ten or fifteen min. Then take a bath. This you can repeat weekly. But if you have dry hair apply homemade brahmi hair oil once on other day. If you consistently do this for several weeks definitely this homemade brahmi hair oil will help your hair grow thick. Not only that it will make your hair darker and surplus.

You can substitue the Brahmi for other powders..

I haven't tried this yet but It's been on my list of things to try
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyme09 12th November 2010, 3:18 am

I've infused my own Ayurvedic oil using Alma, brahmi & shakakai powders mixed with coconut, castor and jojoba oil due to the disadvantages of mineral oil. I used the directions given in the attached article http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_6632302. This method requires patience but I'm happy with the way my oil turned out. I plan to continue infusing my oils this way.
naturallyme09
naturallyme09

Back to top Go down

Post by kim 12th November 2010, 7:24 am

I use the amla oil and it does have mineral oil. I mix it with other essential oils and use it to massage my scalp. It's what has helped to reduce my itches. I just shampoo every week.
kim
kim

http://msdumfries.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 12th November 2010, 10:11 am

Thanks KC, I agree with kim. You use what workes best for your hair.
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 12th November 2010, 10:50 pm

depending on your intended use, mineral doesn"t have to be bad for ur hair.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down