CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Drug Store Hair Products

+10
Curlock Holmes
DreamMerchant
DeltaAce2006
LaToya28
tamtam7
rayray19
Juices-n-Berries
omgitsaj
Renny
SummerSkye
14 posters

Go down

Best Drug Store Hair Products Empty Best Drug Store Hair Products

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 3:16 pm

Hello!

I have never purchase any hair product over the internet. I have found some great products from Target, Walmart and other drugstores. As I'm interested in solidifying my hair regimen, I'd like some drugstore suggestions for the following:

Shampoo (with sulfates or without)
Conditioner (with or without cones)
Styler (for twistouts and braidouts)
Remoisturizers

Thanks in advance for your input!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

http://plumspectacles.com

Back to top Go down

Best Drug Store Hair Products Empty Re: Best Drug Store Hair Products

Post by Renny 7th November 2010, 4:05 pm

Shampoo - Suave 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner. A YTer AfricanExport did a review on using this for shampooing to cut down on the stripped hair thing and I love it.

Conditioner - Herbal Essence Hello Hydration, White Rain Tropical Cocount and Suave Juicy Green Apple (this one has no cones or parabens). All have great slip.

Leave-in - Giovanni Direct Leave-In

DC - I was using ORS Replenishing Pak. Nothing wrong with it, but I've moved on to Darcy's Botanicals. I can get it on the ground here in Atlanta.

Can't help with stylers too much. I'm using stuff you can't find in Target and Walmart. When I was transitioning I used ORS Lock and Twist but I haven't tried it since I BCed. I do like gels like Herbal Essence Set Me Up Gel and Ecostyler. You can get HE in drugstores and Walmarts. Eco at Sally's and BSS.

I like ORS Nature's Shine as a finishing spray. Good ingredients and gives my hair nice shine.

You can also get some good products at Target and Marshalls.

Last edited by Renny on 7th November 2010, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 5:07 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Renny. I have tried a few of those. I was considering trying the Set Me Up gel so we'll see.

I did see African Export's review of the Suave 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner. I'm currently using Pantene shampoo for fine hair. It seems okay so I'll give it a few more weeks before I make a final decision to keep using it or move on to bigger and better things! Surprised

Thanks!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 7th November 2010, 5:31 pm

I really glad someone posted this! I'm on the same mission, I'm a broke college student and I hate to think that I can only achieve healthy natural hair with expensive products. I have so much stuff to use up, but after I'm done I'm staring fresh with cheaper stuff that can be brought at Sally's, Walmart, or a drugstore.

Any one know I good cheap moisturizer?? My hair hate shea sadly and right now I'm using Bee Mine and its awesome but the price will not work for me in the long one:(

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 5:41 pm

@omgitsaj - I have this leave in by yes to cucumbers. I purchased it for $3.99 from Ross. If you have a store like Ross, TJ MAxx or Marchalls nearby, you may be able to find it there. Otherwise it's like $8 or $9 at Target. I don't really use leave in's as "leave in's" LOL. I just leave some of my regular conditioner in my hair. As for leave in's they have to be creamy and I'll use them as a daily moisturizer. yes to cucumbers is very creamy and works great for remoisturizing. I can see it being very greasy if too much is used but a little gets the job done and there is NO SHEA BUTTER in it!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by omgitsaj 7th November 2010, 6:27 pm

Thanks Summer! I will have to look for it. I've never thought of using a leave in as a moisturizer. I will try it though.

omgitsaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 7th November 2010, 6:33 pm

I like Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo (I have a tingle fetish). I LOVE Aussie Moist Conditioner. It makes my hair soooo soft. It does have cones though. For leave in I like the KCKT. I haven't had much luck with stylers though.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 6:46 pm

Juices-n-Berries, thank you for the recommendations. Tingle fetish? LOL! I'll put the tea tree shampoo on my list of "must try in the future" Does the tingle actually do something like make your scalp feel better afterward?

Aussie moist is very nice. I'm experimenting with lighter conditioners right now for my fine hair. Aussie moist smells soooooo good though. I have a "yummy smell" fetish! It makes for a good shave cream as well!

KCKT is cool (and at my local target now!) but I don't think I love it. It's aight!! :-)

Thanks again and take care! Very Happy
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 7th November 2010, 8:39 pm

I loooove love love Yes to cucumber conditioner..and you can find it at target and walgreens..
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 7th November 2010, 8:45 pm

Thank you, rayray19. Yes to Cucumbers Conditioner is officially on the list. I like their leave in. I love Aubrey Organics Honesuckle Rose, which I'm using right now, but want to experiment with lighter conditioners for my fine hair.

Take care!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 7th November 2010, 9:18 pm

SummerSkye wrote:Thank you, rayray19. Yes to Cucumbers Conditioner is officially on the list. I like their leave in. I love Aubrey Organics Honesuckle Rose, which I'm using right now, but want to experiment with lighter conditioners for my fine hair.

Take care!

Glad I could help.

I found Jane Carter's at Ross a few weeks ago but didn't buy. Trying to control the PJ. I plan to look this week and see if it's restocked. I went to a natural hair meetup yesterday and several of the women were raving about Jane Carter's leave-in. It was $3.99 in Ross. I feel so "duh" for leaving it there. What was wrong with me?

I've left the regular YTC in as well. Some people think you should use products the way they were intended, but I'm not sure that's necessary. Having a merchandising background I know sometimes multiple products is all about money for manufacturers but just watch how your own hair does with it. Look for product build up over time. I had no problems. I have the YTC leave-in now so when I want to leave some in, I use it. The leave-in is available at Ross sometimes too.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 7th November 2010, 9:27 pm

@juices-n-berries I have a bit of a tingle fetish too. I love Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingling conditioner.

I have heard that the herbal essence line is really good. I haven't tried it yet but plan on it. I have also heard good things about this other conditioner with a great coconut smell but I cannot think of it right now. I can see the packaging but not the name. UGH! I'll have to get back to you on that one.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by tamtam7 7th November 2010, 9:29 pm

Oh! And ecostyler for styling.
tamtam7
tamtam7

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 8th November 2010, 9:46 pm

Shampoo (with sulfates or without): Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo Conditioner (with or without cones): Suave Tropical Coconut (great for cowashes and as a leave-in)
Styler (for twistouts and braidouts) Long Aid Activator gel
Remoisturizers: BB Oil Moisturizer (pink top)

Hope this helps!

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by DeltaAce2006 8th November 2010, 11:23 pm

Shampoo - L'Oreal Everstrong - no sulfates & smells wonderful!!!
Conditioner - HE Totally Twisted or R&N Breakage Defense
Styler - Ecostyler Gel, HE LTR leave-in
Remoisturizers - HE LTR leave-in

I too am on a drugstore mission!!! I think u can get just as good results w/o breaking the bank!!! The most $ i will spend for is my EVCO, aloe vera..things like that. I also have a "smell good" fetish lol. It's no better feeling than for my bf to compliment me on how good my hair smells
Razz
DeltaAce2006
DeltaAce2006

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 9th November 2010, 3:25 am

Shampoo - Nyle herbal $1.99 at the Indian store,
Conditioner - Skala $1.00 at Big lots, Giovanni 50:50 from TJ Maxx
Styler - Fantasia IC Gel, forgot how much but I love it more that Eco Styler
Remoisturizers - Garnier Fructise Leave-in, in a little green bottle I also like aloe vera juice

DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 9th November 2010, 3:40 am

A big thanks to all of you!

@tamtam7 - I almost bought some tea tree tingle today but I put the bottle down. I've been eyeballing it for quite a while. I really like the nourish spa line. Thanks!

@LaToya28 - I have the suave coconut conditioner so maybe I'll try it as a leave in when I do a wash n go type of style. Thank you.

@DeltaAce2006 - I have been looking at the Loreal brand recently, especially their line for color treated hair since their formulated to add shine and usually contain no sulfates. On the list! I love the smell of HE LTR leave in but I never bought it again because my hubby said it smells like medicine. :-/

@DreamMerchant - Thanks for the suggestions. I like the garnier leave in. Something about the smell made me stop using it though. Gosh, I will try this fantasia IC gel one of these days. I do like Eco Styler but that mess is so hard to wash out! Thanks!
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlock Holmes 9th November 2010, 3:52 am

Giovanni Deeper Moisture as a DC and a leave-in
Castor oil (I use this instead of Qhemet's Amla and Olive at a fraction of the cost!)
Shea Butter
Aussie Moist if you like conditioners with cones
Giovanni shampoos are good too, I've only tried the Tea Tree Tingle

Also, if you have an area with a high Indian population, you can get those Aruvydic (sp) herbs for $2-3 bucks a box. I'm thinking about infusing some castor oil with Amla and Brahmi, and using it alone and in my shea butter mix.
Curlock Holmes
Curlock Holmes

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 9th November 2010, 11:15 am

i like the Pantene for curly hair series (Walmart, Target). Curls/Ms. Jessie's shampoo and conditioner(Target), most Garnier Fructis and Herbal Essence conditioners as well(everywhere...even grocery stores). AS a moisturizer the only one Iv purchased is the Curls coconut something or other not greasy no build up and it absorbs well. AS for styling of course KKCC sometimes I use mane and tail as a leave in conditioner underneath... its really light, and a conditioner mixed with Eco to style
blkbeauty2010
blkbeauty2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ladygogohot 9th November 2010, 11:59 am

I use Alot of Aruvydic herbs for washes and I add all of my oils to the mixture...i can honestly say that my hair is growing like wildfire!!! I HAVE 4B HAIR. The only gel that is use is Eco Styler and it does not leave my hair hard or dry @ all. I make my own moisturizers and i find that it works really well. My hair i s soft and manageable for a couple of days.

Conditioner -Suave Coconut or VO-5 or any other cheap conditioner because i add oils

Shampoo-Indian Powders/Henna, Nyle Herbal shampoo

Stylers- Eco Gel, Aloe Vera ( Dying to try flaxseed gel)

Moisturizers-Home made (Shea butter, Aloe Vera gel, Vegetable Glycerine, Coconut oil, Castor oil, MSM powder and garlic oil for shedding)

I like making my own stuff and it last a long time and i know what i am putting into it and i can honestly say, my hair is responding very well.

HTH

ladygogohot
ladygogohot

Back to top Go down

Post by Curly Film Chick 9th November 2010, 12:40 pm

These are some of the products I pick up at a drugstore:

Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree
Conditioners: Herbal Essence, Suave, Renpure Organics
Stylers: IC Fantasia Gel, Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Conditioning Creme (really good for braid/twist outs)

HTH
Curly Film Chick
Curly Film Chick

http://www.quirkycurlyfilmchick.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 9th November 2010, 8:05 pm

Shampoo: Suave Naturals Almond Shea & L'Oreal EverPure Smooth
Conditioner: Yes to Cucumbers
DC: Lustrasilk & Aussie 3 Min Miracle
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by SummerSkye 10th November 2010, 4:17 am

Thanks, y'all for the great suggestions. Now I must try to keep myself from going overboard and trying all these out! Cool
SummerSkye
SummerSkye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down