CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Store/BSS Products

+11
CrissyQ
krazy coils
Neems
PaganWifey
happy2bcurly
FalconTress
Lysheba89
LadyMika
Lynnieluve
NaturalTina
Juices-n-Berries
15 posters

Go down

In Store/BSS Products Empty In Store/BSS Products

Post by Juices-n-Berries 9th October 2010, 6:07 pm

So, I'd started an in-store only product challenge a long time ago. But for people who know me, it's a challenge to stick to anything. Lol. Needless to say I've been using some of everything. I started this thread because even though I can't commit to only using products that can be found in store, I thought we could discuss what we've tried, what works, and what doesn't. From the old thread, it seemed that most people like Yes to Cucumbers and Shea Moisture products. I get most of my shampoos and conditioners in store. But I have yet to find a good in store moisturizer or styler. Maybe someone has some suggestions.

So go ahead and share your own experiences...
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

In Store/BSS Products Empty Re: In Store/BSS Products

Post by NaturalTina 9th October 2010, 6:17 pm

I like the keracare naturals butter cream as a moisturizer and styler. My twists are soft and shiny and stay moisturized for days 
NaturalTina
NaturalTina

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 9th October 2010, 6:36 pm

The Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque works great as a moisturizer and styler! I got GREAT results using it for my twist/twist out!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 9th October 2010, 6:37 pm

I'm in love with the Giovanni Smooth As Silk conditioner--makes a great leave-in AND a deep conditioner. Also fell back in love with the Organix Coconut Milk Conditioner--been using it as a leave-in the last week or so, and my hair loves it.
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lysheba89 9th October 2010, 7:11 pm

I agree with LadyMika about Giovanni's Smooth As Silk, it's light enough to detangle with and co-wash with because, like all Giovanni conditioners, it suds up a little, but it's also thick/creamy to leave in for great moisture and a little hold.

Other good Giovanni conditioners are the 50-50, and Tea Tree Oil ones. Lately I've been finding huge liter sized pump bottles of Giovanni conditioners at stores like Marshals and TJ Maxx, and the Yes to ___ Line at TJ MAxx and Ross.

As far as stylers, I really liked Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey. It doesn't have any water in it, but has a great blend of herb infused oils that are really good for slicking hair down without the waxy feeling of a pomade.

When you add it to a wash 'n' go , and when your hair finally dries, it dries with so much shine and your curls will literrally be popping. I'm lucky though, because there's a Carol's Daughter store in a mall near me. You might be able to find Carol's Daughter products in a Marshall's if you don't have a CD store around you, at least that's what I've read on this forum.
Lysheba89
Lysheba89

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 10th October 2010, 12:36 am

Thanks for the input.

I'll DEFINITELY have to checkout Keracare. I didn't know they had a natural line! I used to use them when I was relaxed.

I recently tried Giovanni Smooth As Silk when it was on sale and I LOVE it!

Haven't used the Shea Moisture DT in a while but I'm going to repurchase (my old one got left in high heat for a long time and now it smells funny) and try it as a styler.

I also revisited the Giovanni Direct Leave In. I hadn't used it since I first BCed. It's ok. Not really impressed. But it gets the job done. I bought 2 bottles, so it will be my leeave in until I use them up.
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyMika 10th October 2010, 3:45 pm

Forgot to mention the EcoStyler gel. This gel has yet to fail me. After trying FOUR different gels ovee the last (almost) two years, this one does what I need it to and at a price that's CRAZY affordable. And I have the EIGHTY OUNCE TUB WITH THE HANDLE to prove it. lol!
LadyMika
LadyMika

http://metalkink.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 10th October 2010, 11:02 pm

TIGI Moisture Maniac conditioner.is very good. I got my big bottle from TJ MAXX. I also was pleased with the Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey ( I got a better deal on it at an Ulta sale + coupon, but it is also available at TJ Maxx & Marshall's.)
I keep forgetting about John Freida Root Awakening Conditioner. My hair liked the strengthening formula(they usually place $2-3 dollar coupons in Sunday papers). There is also a moisturizing formula.
The Organix Conditioners are popping up everywhere. I used the shea butter and the lavender soymilk fragrances and was a serial sniffer of every other variety.
I also liked the L'Oreal Evertrong masque, Aussie Moist Hair Insurance Leave-in and Suave Ginseng & Aloe Conditioner.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by happy2bcurly 11th October 2010, 8:11 pm

Has anyone ever used Murray's loc-lock gel for twist outs ? I saw some at the dollar store and wondered how it would work. If so did you use it alone or with something else?
happy2bcurly
happy2bcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 11th October 2010, 9:52 pm

I'm interested in trying ORS Lock n Twist Gel. I LOVE Oyin
Handmade's Burnt Sugar Pomade but...I dunno.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by Neems 13th October 2010, 11:27 pm

PaganWifey wrote:I'm interested in trying ORS Lock n Twist Gel. I LOVE Oyin

I've tried the ORS lock and twist gel. It's dries my hair out something terrible but gives great hold in definition. I've tried mixing it with oil and nothing helps.

How does the burnt sugar work and have you tried shine and define?
Neems
Neems

http://neemsnthings.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 14th October 2010, 8:50 am

Neems wrote:

I've tried the ORS lock and twist gel. It's dries my hair out something terrible but gives great hold in definition. I've tried mixing it with oil and nothing helps.

Try using a moisturizer under the ORS lock and twist gel to prevent the dryness. I've used the Shea moisture deep treatment as a moisurizer to twist under the ORS which keeps the hair from becoming dry. Really great definition with the Sheamoisture and the ORS combined.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ 14th October 2010, 11:35 am

i was going to post something similar to this because I am looking for a product that will give me more definition. no matter how long I keep twist/coils in, when I un-do them they look frizzy. I have tried ORS, bee Mine curly butter, just conditioner and oil. What has given you great definition besides what i have mentioned?
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PaganWifey 14th October 2010, 12:04 pm

Neems wrote:

The burnt sugar works. The shine and define works but it doesn't because I have to use a moisturizer underneath that and those thick moisturizers don't really go with my locs.

I was just hoping to find something I can get in store to work. Oh well.
PaganWifey
PaganWifey

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 14th October 2010, 3:04 pm

CrissyQ wrote:i was going to post something similar to this because I am looking for a product that will give me more definition. no matter how long I keep twist/coils in, when I un-do them they look frizzy. I have tried ORS, bee Mine curly butter, just conditioner and oil. What has given you great definition besides what i have mentioned?

I had the same problem but as my hair got longer it got better.
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 15th October 2010, 12:00 pm

Herbal Essence’s Hello Hydration conditioner

Aussie Moist conditioner

Organic Root Stimulator Deep Replenishing conditioner

BedHead TIGI Moisture Maniac conditioner

Herbal Essence’s Set Me Up gel

LA Look Sports gel

Giovanni’s Smooth As Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Infusion

Africa’s Best Ultimate Hair oil
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15th October 2010, 3:28 pm

is it bad to use a regular conditioner as a leave-in b/c i hear alot of talk about this....

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th October 2010, 3:34 pm

Indidiiamond wrote:is it bad to use a regular conditioner as a leave-in b/c i hear alot of talk about this....

For me personally, I like to use products the way they were intended. It's only bad if it is not working for your hair.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 15th October 2010, 4:49 pm

CrissyQ wrote:i was going to post something similar to this because I am looking for a product that will give me more definition. no matter how long I keep twist/coils in, when I un-do them they look frizzy. I have tried ORS, bee Mine curly butter, just conditioner and oil. What has given you great definition besides what i have mentioned?

tresemme curling jelly works for me. i found it at ross for about $3; you use it on damp hair. it did make my hair a little crispy the first time, so i used shea butter on top of it, and i loved the results. very good hold!
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by ... 15th October 2010, 7:32 pm

Elasta QP Creme Conditioning shampoo

VO5 Free Me Freesia conditioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down